Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

VALLEY BREEZE 12U going to Nationals

What's on your mind?

by sportzjunky » Thu May 28, 2009 12:07 pm

IMO, if 12 teams getting a berth means no team has to pay to travel outside California to earn a berth, then so be it. I see no problem with the top 12 teams this past weekend competing at ASA Nationals. I watched all of them at some point during the weekend and all are legit. And I agree with Sam not to put them up for grabs with the rest of the region. Keep em home and at 12 slots. Next year teams will understand they only need a bye and a good draw plus play one solid team/game to make the quarters and a berth... Saying Valley Breeze will go 2 & Q is a stupid statement considering people said the same about them going into states last week. Dont be a h8r.
The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure.
These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur.
- Vince Lombardi
sportzjunky
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:41 am

by Longdisttrvlballer » Thu May 28, 2009 12:47 pm

Why can’t ASA start Friday night with a two game pool play to determine bracket position and who gets a first round bye?
Longdisttrvlballer
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:02 pm

by hotwheels » Thu May 28, 2009 12:59 pm

Surehitter wrote:I am sure that this team will make plans to visit alot of the local attractions after they go two and out. Obama would be very proud of these teams spending $ and helping the economy recover.
:lol:


That's a little harsh don't you think????.......Even though the title of this thread states otherwise I don't believe that most of us are talking directly about Valley Breeze.....Congratulations to them for doing well enough to get the berth......Credit to them......

I think this thread is evolving into an ASA thread.......No need to talk bad about some team you feel may not do well........Remember Grasshopper, any team can beat any team on any given day....Period......That is why they play the game!
User avatar
hotwheels
 
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Corona

by ice_67 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Longdisttrvlballer wrote:Why can’t ASA start Friday night with a two game pool play to determine bracket position and who gets a first round bye?


You mean like they do at nationals. ;)
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
User avatar
ice_67
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:31 pm

by NumeroUno » Thu May 28, 2009 1:06 pm

Last year at Nationals the pool games did not mean a thing. The elimination brackets were already posted before the pool game. The pool games were just for fun.

I'm sure if Surehitter got a berth like the Breeze did that he would turn it down because it wasn't right. :roll:

Sometimes it is better to be luck than good
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
User avatar
NumeroUno
 
Posts: 8929
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:50 pm

by Blind Squirrel » Thu May 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Sftbll4ever wrote:
REALLY wrote:If you play 'Travel" softball you should be prepared to travel :( This IMHO is one of the main problems with the diluted talent pools across the country. If you pony up to play a highly competitive level of any sport your goal should be to achieve the pinical of that sport not settle. If all you want is to be the best in your area play rec, make the allstar team , play "B" metro and "b" state and pat yourself on the back. If you run a $15,000- $25,000 a year team budget and all you want to do is stay local and win regionals save the money and play LL.

Maybe you should own the berth with the option to sell it to the highest bidder if you decide too. That would make for some interesting games. Or if a berth is declined the next two teams eligible should have a single playoff game to earn the spot putting the berth back in the hands of the best team that day not a RA,RF, lucky bye, or coin flip.



I'm not settling. As I see it, my GOAL is to allow my dd's to play at a higher level then rec. as THEY love playing. Part of THEIR goal is to use softball as a way to help them get into college which they would have NO chance of doing playing rec. My dd's can be seen going to college showcases. I know of at least one person on this board that has a dd that has NEVER been to nationals, but has a scholarship.

Just because your goal is to go to nationals, my dd's goals are not.


Our goals are the same. My kid never cared about Nationals. She even turned down chances to go. She couldn't care less and neither did we. She did go for the first time last year at the age of 17, because the team she played on went. Whoop De Doo. Nationals was a real difference maker softball-wise (NOT). She'll be attending a D1 in the fall on a full athletic scholarship. I wonder how many of the kids with experience at 10/12/14U Nationals will be getting full rides? I guess she should have stayed in rec. Thanx for the enlightenment.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
User avatar
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:02 am

by REALLY » Thu May 28, 2009 1:21 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:
Sftbll4ever wrote:
REALLY wrote:If you play 'Travel" softball you should be prepared to travel :( This IMHO is one of the main problems with the diluted talent pools across the country. If you pony up to play a highly competitive level of any sport your goal should be to achieve the pinical of that sport not settle. If all you want is to be the best in your area play rec, make the allstar team , play "B" metro and "b" state and pat yourself on the back. If you run a $15,000- $25,000 a year team budget and all you want to do is stay local and win regionals save the money and play LL.

Maybe you should own the berth with the option to sell it to the highest bidder if you decide too. That would make for some interesting games. Or if a berth is declined the next two teams eligible should have a single playoff game to earn the spot putting the berth back in the hands of the best team that day not a RA,RF, lucky bye, or coin flip.



I'm not settling. As I see it, my GOAL is to allow my dd's to play at a higher level then rec. as THEY love playing. Part of THEIR goal is to use softball as a way to help them get into college which they would have NO chance of doing playing rec. My dd's can be seen going to college showcases. I know of at least one person on this board that has a dd that has NEVER been to nationals, but has a scholarship.

Just because your goal is to go to nationals, my dd's goals are not.


Our goals are the same. My kid never cared about Nationals. She even turned down chances to go. She couldn't care less and neither did we. She did go for the first time last year at the age of 17, because the team she played on went. Whoop De Doo. Nationals was a real difference maker softball-wise (NOT). She'll be attending a D1 in the fall on a full athletic scholarship. I wonder how many of the kids with experience at 10/12/14U Nationals will be getting full rides? I guess she should have stayed in rec. Thanx for the enlightenment.

John

Congrats missed my point completely but congradulations
Attachments
pat-731186.gif
pat-731186.gif (15.65 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
In the immortal words of the great Spazsdad "Don't get all butt hurt" ;)Image
User avatar
REALLY
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:12 pm

by NumeroUno » Thu May 28, 2009 1:25 pm

If you do your work and play showcases you can get a ride to a D-1 school without going to nationals, their is no doubt about it. I have never met a kid that plays travel ball that doesn't like the nationals experience.

My kids love going to nationals and they have had a lot of fun there. Once they qualify they talk about it all the time until they go. The coaches must make nationals a positive experience especially for the younger teams. I don't mean swimming and going to water parks between games but kids must have fun at 10's, 12's and 14's or by 16's they will be at cheerleader parties hitting the beer bong. :D

cheerleader beer bonging.jpg
cheerleader beer bonging.jpg (29.12 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
User avatar
NumeroUno
 
Posts: 8929
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:50 pm

by ice_67 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Spazsdad wrote:But this year the pool games are back to counting. How long has ASA been doing this? Don't you think they would have settled on a format by now?

Also heard that the 12 berths is a one time shot this year. Next year there will be less, but more than the three we usually get.


Spazsdad, are you sure about the pool games counting? I thought I read on the ASA Normal website that there was going to be a second draw for bracket play.
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
User avatar
ice_67
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:31 pm

by Blind Squirrel » Thu May 28, 2009 1:37 pm

REALLY wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote:
Sftbll4ever wrote:
REALLY wrote:If you play 'Travel" softball you should be prepared to travel :( This IMHO is one of the main problems with the diluted talent pools across the country. If you pony up to play a highly competitive level of any sport your goal should be to achieve the pinical of that sport not settle. If all you want is to be the best in your area play rec, make the allstar team , play "B" metro and "b" state and pat yourself on the back. If you run a $15,000- $25,000 a year team budget and all you want to do is stay local and win regionals save the money and play LL.

Maybe you should own the berth with the option to sell it to the highest bidder if you decide too. That would make for some interesting games. Or if a berth is declined the next two teams eligible should have a single playoff game to earn the spot putting the berth back in the hands of the best team that day not a RA,RF, lucky bye, or coin flip.



I'm not settling. As I see it, my GOAL is to allow my dd's to play at a higher level then rec. as THEY love playing. Part of THEIR goal is to use softball as a way to help them get into college which they would have NO chance of doing playing rec. My dd's can be seen going to college showcases. I know of at least one person on this board that has a dd that has NEVER been to nationals, but has a scholarship.

Just because your goal is to go to nationals, my dd's goals are not.


Our goals are the same. My kid never cared about Nationals. She even turned down chances to go. She couldn't care less and neither did we. She did go for the first time last year at the age of 17, because the team she played on went. Whoop De Doo. Nationals was a real difference maker softball-wise (NOT). She'll be attending a D1 in the fall on a full athletic scholarship. I wonder how many of the kids with experience at 10/12/14U Nationals will be getting full rides? I guess she should have stayed in rec. Thanx for the enlightenment.

John

Congrats missed my point completely but congradulations


A. Not the first time I missed the point. What was the point?

B. I've been on these boards for more than 6 years. I believe I've mentioned my kid's accomplishments less than a handful of times. Never posted a single thing on any team she has played on. Patting myself on the back? Or simply using a stark, concrete example that argues against the cosmic importance people typically place on their kids going to Nationals. Perhaps you missed my point as well. Congrats.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
User avatar
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:02 am

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions