Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Softball in the 2016 Olympics

What's on your mind?

by Killer Rabbit » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:55 pm

It is not a sport if your offical uniform is street clothes.
Ice cream?! When the f**k did we get ice cream?!
User avatar
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Las Vegas

by anonlooker » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:25 pm

There are 3 or 4 golf tournaments on tv almost every weekend, supported by the deep pockets of banks, investment houses, big pharma, automobiles, etc. The advertising revenue alone gets golf in.

Add the U.K. has some of the most venerable courses in the world.

Add Tiger Woods.

Golf was a no brainer.

Compared to fastpitch, rugby has a world-wide following. And it's even fun to watch. You'll see.

Fastpitch has a very small following, practically zero outside the fastpitch community. And a huge PR dilemma with the general populace, even here in the U.S. It begins with the word "softball", which invokes slow pitch beer leagues, weekend company leagues, etc. Fastpitch is nothing like that.

Prior to my kid getting into travel ball, I, like most folks, thought fastpitch was all pitching and 1-0 games.

Even within the game, how many teams or players stick around to watch the championship of tournaments you go to? Hardly any. My kid loves staying and watching, and it's like a ghost town out there. There are far more people watching pool play than championship play! That's just wierd!

If we, the most avid of fastpitch fans, don't stick around a few hours and watch our best teams play each other, how can we expect the rest of the world to give a rat's ass?

And to add insult to injury, "fastpitch" comes up as a misspelled word when I use it on Hey Bucket! :o :o
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
User avatar
anonlooker
 
Posts: 3114
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:14 pm

by GSB » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:31 pm

90066DAD wrote:
DonnieS wrote:To add golf is unbelievable. I know a lot of you play that sport - to me, it is an activity, not a sport. Sports typically mean you must expend some sort of energy to play it, like rugby, tennis, basketball, etc. A sport where you spend the majority of your time sitting on your ass in a cart, no. There is nothing more boring than golf - to watch golf, unreal. The epitomy of non- activity was divo-ing golf to watch it over and over.

I think I actually agree with Chavez here.



I'm saddened to see softball excluded again from the Olympics, but I have to disagree with your assessment that golf is not a sport. There is a mental and physical stamina aspect to golf that is essential to success in tournament play. Very similar to auto racing in that respect.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Auto racing and golf a sport? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I would rather watch grass grow.
To each their own.
User avatar
GSB
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

by Gorilla » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:38 pm

Sam wrote:I told you what was going to happen. If a sport requires that a venue be built, it likely doesn't belong.

Hell, you put in football and most cities wouldn't have to build a stadium.

Golf is truly international.....rugby....oh, well.

You always seem to be right how do you do that? :o
Gorilla
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:19 am

by fungodude » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:30 pm

Fastpitch was also hurt due to the fact that the IOC is pissed at America and Chicago's 2016 bid is not looking good. The USOC and Ueberroth announced they want to start a competing Olympic TV network. Don't slap those Limeys in the wallet, whatever you do...
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/spo ... avors.html
User avatar
fungodude
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:24 am

by 90066DAD » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:28 pm

GSB wrote:
90066DAD wrote:
DonnieS wrote:To add golf is unbelievable. I know a lot of you play that sport - to me, it is an activity, not a sport. Sports typically mean you must expend some sort of energy to play it, like rugby, tennis, basketball, etc. A sport where you spend the majority of your time sitting on your ass in a cart, no. There is nothing more boring than golf - to watch golf, unreal. The epitomy of non- activity was divo-ing golf to watch it over and over.

I think I actually agree with Chavez here.



I'm saddened to see softball excluded again from the Olympics, but I have to disagree with your assessment that golf is not a sport. There is a mental and physical stamina aspect to golf that is essential to success in tournament play. Very similar to auto racing in that respect.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Auto racing and golf a sport? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I would rather watch grass grow.


Watching grass grow is just about all the speed your brain can handle. :o
90066DAD
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:21 pm

by Skarp » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:31 pm

Golf is a phenomenal sport.

Skarp has spoken.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
User avatar
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 pm

by Skarp » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:40 pm

Are you asking me? :mrgreen:
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
User avatar
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 pm

by fasterpitch92701 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:21 pm

ok, since we need to take into account media coverages of sport, and what they do cover, I suppose that now includes Texas Hold'em.

Regarding golf... if you don't think it's a "real" sport, try doing it. If/when you get to a 2-3 handicap, let me know and we can do a little $5 Nassau.

Nevertheless, I have no intent on watching syncronized diving, rhymic dancing, ice skating in any form, polo (or anything with a horse) or any of the other 93 inane sports at the Olympics. While I admire the dedication of the athletes the Olympic organization is not in my book, any better than politicians, prostitutes or used car salesmen. Just sleezeballs taking revenue off of a 5 ring logo. All, of course, IMHO.
User avatar
fasterpitch92701
 
Posts: 689
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:41 pm

by Donnie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:06 pm

Just because someone cant golf and someone else can doesnt make it a sport. So your argument there stands no ground. I for one love golf but I would rather not have it in the olympics. So is bowling next? I have a 200 avg. that doesnt make it a sport because I am good at it. Does it???? We all are softball fans that is clear, but it is more and more odvious that we are the minority not the majority. So what! It's a great game that will flourish with or without the olympics..my 2 cents!!!!!
Be The Hunter
User avatar
Donnie
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:04 pm
Location: O.C. where else?

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions