Supersuds wrote:I here allot of teams are thinning out due to parents pulling out just before Nationals. Is that common in past years? I know it expensive but you figure they should know that before getting involved. You spend a lot of time developing these girls and sometimes it can throw a wrench in the chemistry of the team.
Sftbll4ever wrote:So just what do you expect those parents to do when there is no money? Sometimes it comes all of a sudden. With this economic downturn, would you expect parents that may have just received their layoff notices within the last week or so to just say what the hell lets just go and worry about where we are going to live once we spend out rent money for the next 2 months on softball.
Personally, I enjoy my kids having a roof over their heads and food in their mouths.
bucndranch wrote:Sftbll4ever wrote:So just what do you expect those parents to do when there is no money? Sometimes it comes all of a sudden. With this economic downturn, would you expect parents that may have just received their layoff notices within the last week or so to just say what the hell lets just go and worry about where we are going to live once we spend out rent money for the next 2 months on softball.
Personally, I enjoy my kids having a roof over their heads and food in their mouths.
Given your scenario there is no blame, that is unexpected and nothing you can do. We try to fundraise and talk about it all the time from the beginning so there there are no excuses (outside of your above quote). Some just do not plan for it. I think there are those that cannot go, did not plan for it, yet will find another reason to bail and not admit the truth.
We had 2 leave earlier, around state, saying they will just not be able to afford it. I can respect that, they both went to new teams and off to other nationals. Who knows the truth, if they are happy they stay and they go!!! They find a way!!
bucndranch wrote:Sftbll4ever wrote:So just what do you expect those parents to do when there is no money? Sometimes it comes all of a sudden. With this economic downturn, would you expect parents that may have just received their layoff notices within the last week or so to just say what the hell lets just go and worry about where we are going to live once we spend out rent money for the next 2 months on softball.
Personally, I enjoy my kids having a roof over their heads and food in their mouths.
Given your scenario there is no blame, that is unexpected and nothing you can do. We try to fundraise and talk about it all the time from the beginning so there there are no excuses (outside of your above quote). Some just do not plan for it. I think there are those that cannot go, did not plan for it, yet will find another reason to bail and not admit the truth.
We had 2 leave earlier, around state, saying they will just not be able to afford it. I can respect that, they both went to new teams and off to other nationals. Who knows the truth, if they are happy they stay and they go!!! They find a way!!
hotwheels wrote:I think everyone is making some good points but there should be no BUT.........
The economy SUCKS, people are broke and quite frankly softball is such a minute piece of each of our lives when compared to FOOD, MORTGAGE, JOBS, etc.....
Financially, taking a vacation is hard enough on 75% of the Nation.....Now, couple that with those of us who work at companies that frown on taking too much vacation time during these "HARD TIMES".....Upper management begins to think that maybe you are making too much money or you are expendable.......This is happening all over the Construction Industry right now......
I am curious about those who are pulling out...Did they notify the team that it might happen or just drop the bomb at once? It works both ways and I see both sides.
How many are playing on teams that SHOULDN'T be going anywhere? Maybe some of these parents just assumed that their team wasn't going and then when the team decided to go, they freaked out. There are so many variables....
Some parents and coaches feel if the team isn't good enough to WIN at Nationals or TCS, then why go.....Some feel that you have to GO no matter what the team has done all year long. I just know that there are as many BAD parents as there are BAD coaches......Just hope that people are up front and honest with each other.....
I don't see how any of us can badmouth the coaches or parents in these times......If they can't go then they can't go....Period!.....But, if it is a last minute notification then they suck!
I know that our Xpress 96 team was going to do TCS and Westerns or Nationals at one point but things (Finanacially) got progressively worse throughout the year and they decided to just do TCS.....Nothing more, nothing less....5 minute conversation and it was over......It's softball, not life and death....
Why make your parents suffer and have to come up with HUGE money when your team can save it for the next year? Some teams are better off than others financially....Just a thought because this economy WILL turn around.......I HOPE!