Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Unusual Protection?

What's on your mind?

by 12inchballs » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:33 am

At a tournament this weekend, we saw just a few gamefaces, which are getting more common, but the one that was hard to not have fun with was the kid playing left field with a batters helmet, complete with face mask. The word is, she was recovering from a concussion.
Anyone here ever see kids in the field with a helment on?
User avatar
12inchballs
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 am

by hit4power » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:40 am

DD's HS team played somebody whose F7 wore a batting helmet with face guard. It was quickly obvious why although I never understood why they didn't have her in RF. First time I ever saw a 4 touchdown run rule game
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:09 am

by Mick » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:43 am

John Olerud wore a batting helmet for many years while playing first base in the majors.
Mick
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:28 pm

by 12inchballs » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:50 am

It was humorous.....The chatter was like this....

Why is she wearing a batting helmet?

Maybe she lead-off batter and doesn't want some one to grab her favorite helmet.

Maybe she's trying to drop a subtle hint to the coach.

Maybe she was up next and forgot to take it off?..

Maybe she has a concussion......
In that case I think wrestling headgear and a gameface would look badass.
User avatar
12inchballs
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 am

by etx bd » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:18 am

What idiot parents that child must have to allow her to go out and subject herself to justifiable humiliation by fine upstanding bleacher geniuses just because she doesn't want to get hurt. Haven't we all laughed at those ridiculously paranoid players wearing Gamefaces - not to mention those wussy NCAA players who for no reason continue to wear face masks on their batting helmets at the expense of being cool?
I say all us bleacher geniuses need to unite and laugh those pathetic wienies who fear permanent injury or disfigurement off our macho fields. Let's make softball the full contact sport we all want it to be!!! :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil:
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books
User avatar
etx bd
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: East Texas

by etx bd » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:38 am

Spazsdad wrote:Hey exbtd,
I was agreeing with your post through the first 14 words, then you lost me. How about the idiot parents that can't let little suzie miss a single game even though she is hurt? If she did in fact have a concussion she should be on the bench, not risking possible further injury.


Spaz
The post was really just a response to laughing at a kid because she was on the field wearing protective gear in what the OP considered an inappropriate way. How many kids get seriously injured just to avoid ridicule? The OP didn't know if she was previously hurt or not, they just decided it was funny. No I don't think we ought to put injured kids on the field. But kids who have had a concussion previously are advised to avoid having it happen again even though they are fine now.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books
User avatar
etx bd
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: East Texas

by 12inchballs » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:48 am

etx bd wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:Hey exbtd,
I was agreeing with your post through the first 14 words, then you lost me. How about the idiot parents that can't let little suzie miss a single game even though she is hurt? If she did in fact have a concussion she should be on the bench, not risking possible further injury.


Spaz
The post was really just a response to laughing at a kid because she was on the field wearing protective gear in what the OP considered an inappropriate way. How many kids get seriously injured just to avoid ridicule? The OP didn't know if she was previously hurt or not, they just decided it was funny. No I don't think we ought to put injured kids on the field. But kids who have had a concussion previously are advised to avoid having it happen again even though they are fine now.


Eh Eh....you got that wrong. I didn't think the helmet was humorous. I thought that chatter was humorous. and it was.
My DDs wear a gameface when at SS, pitching, or 3rd.....a mouthguard at all other times, including behind the catcher's mask.
**I was really posting to gage peoples reactions and decide if people would accept me if I forced my DDs to protect their pretty faces with a football helmet. :lol: I kid, I kid.
User avatar
12inchballs
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 am

by wadeintothem » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:52 am

No but I've seen John Olerud wearing a fielders helmet.

Get the girl a fielding helmet - doesnt need a full regular helmet.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
User avatar
wadeintothem
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm

by BonezMom » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 am

12inchballs wrote:
etx bd wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:Hey exbtd,
I was agreeing with your post through the first 14 words, then you lost me. How about the idiot parents that can't let little suzie miss a single game even though she is hurt? If she did in fact have a concussion she should be on the bench, not risking possible further injury.


Spaz
The post was really just a response to laughing at a kid because she was on the field wearing protective gear in what the OP considered an inappropriate way. How many kids get seriously injured just to avoid ridicule? The OP didn't know if she was previously hurt or not, they just decided it was funny. No I don't think we ought to put injured kids on the field. But kids who have had a concussion previously are advised to avoid having it happen again even though they are fine now.


Eh Eh....you got that wrong. I didn't think the helmet was humorous. I thought that chatter was humorous. and it was.
My DDs wear a gameface when at SS, pitching, or 3rd.....a mouthguard at all other times, including behind the catcher's mask.
**I was really posting to gage peoples reactions and decide if people would accept me if I forced my DDs to protect their pretty faces with a football helmet. :lol: I kid, I kid.


So when she plays 1st 2nd RF CF and LF she only wears a mouth guard?
Too bad, so sad, bye bye
User avatar
BonezMom
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:48 pm

by Sftbll4ever » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:55 am

I had a cousin who had a fractured skull from a line drive at 3rd base. When he was cleared to play again, he was told he had to protect his head (actually not just during games) at all times and wear a protective helmet since his skull was so frail.

Sometimes you just need to be extra cautious. He had been fitted for a platic covering that he would wear though, not a baseball helmet.
Sftbll4ever
 
Posts: 1842
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:27 am

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions