Hello all. I am a grown ex-softball player, and after browsing these forums and reflecting on my years on the diamond, I feel that I may need to call some things to your attention. I know my post is long, but I sincerely ask that you read the whole thing.
Softball is a game. Yes, a game. A pastime, recreation, not a job. And let's be frank, when your daughters are 25, what will softball give them other than a collection of good memories? It might help them get into college, I'll grant you that. But rarely a big college that will do anything for a resume; a quick bat speed isn't a ticket to great higher education. Believe it or not, there is life outside of a softball complex! Softball should contribute to a girl's life, it shouldn't be her life.
I remember parents getting so heated about which player was going to which team, who lost to who in a tournament, etc. Honestly, how petty! But families treated these situations like they determined the fate of their 10-year-old second baseman. Usually, it resulted in weakening their daughter's friendship with her teammates and lowering her self-esteem- all because of a game, a supposedly "fun sport" of a pre-adolescent.
Come on, parents, this is your child's extra-curricular activity. Am I telling you to never let your daughter play sports? No! It's unhealthy to not be active around other kids. That being said, it's also unhealthy for a child to feel like if they make an error in a softball game, their life is over. (I know what you're saying; "That's ridiculous, no one thinks that." I played softball. People think that. And rightfully so, based on many parents' reactions to errors.) So put things into perspective. When you're about to yell at your kid for not diving for that fly ball, take a step back. This is supposed to be fun, this is recreation. It's only a game.
Thanks.



























