Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Ball through SS 3b gap

What's on your mind?

by GSB » Tue May 19, 2009 6:40 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:One thing I have noticed with the older kids is how many infielders and outfielders routinely look in to see the catcher's sign before the pitch. Sometimes the kids noticeably "cheat" (not bad cheat - I mean change position a step or two in anticipation) and some probably just look in in hopes of getting a better jump on the ball. It seems to be allowed if not encouraged by some pretty experienced high level coaches. Maybe not a good idea with a pitcher with serious control problems but otherwise, even at lower ages, it may actually work to advantage more often than disadvantage.

Or maybe I'm even more full of Shi* WRT to younger kids and should shut the hell up.

John


You are correct. Most of the better coaches teach every girl on the team their signs (not just catchers/pitchers). This helps everyone position themselves better before the pitch. Look at the SS and 2nd base on the better teams. Most of them will have their left hand behind their backs (before the pitch), giving the signal to the outfielders. Most coaches are teaching this at 10U now.
To each their own.
User avatar
GSB
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu May 21, 2009 5:06 am

GSB wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote:One thing I have noticed with the older kids is how many infielders and outfielders routinely look in to see the catcher's sign before the pitch. Sometimes the kids noticeably "cheat" (not bad cheat - I mean change position a step or two in anticipation) and some probably just look in in hopes of getting a better jump on the ball. It seems to be allowed if not encouraged by some pretty experienced high level coaches. Maybe not a good idea with a pitcher with serious control problems but otherwise, even at lower ages, it may actually work to advantage more often than disadvantage.

Or maybe I'm even more full of Shi* WRT to younger kids and should shut the hell up.

John


You are correct. Most of the better coaches teach every girl on the team their signs (not just catchers/pitchers). This helps everyone position themselves better before the pitch. Look at the SS and 2nd base on the better teams. Most of them will have their left hand behind their backs (before the pitch), giving the signal to the outfielders. Most coaches are teaching this at 10U now.


On DD's College Team F6 & F4 flash the sign to the outfielders ... thinking about it, it would seem that if your pitcher works quick you would have to slow her down for this to be at all successful ... and if you slowed her down too much the other team may pick up on the pitch location by watching defensive adjustments ... I guess it's a timing thing ... :?:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by Blind Squirrel » Thu May 21, 2009 8:16 am

From what I've seen it IS a timing thing. Players have time to move after the pitcher begins her windup. They can also move somewhat subtly. I don't know how many batters would be able to pick up the slight movement and use it to their advantage considering that they are likely very focussed on the pitcher. Heck, I've seen CFs move dramatically prior to windup and I doubt any of the hitters noticed. May be different with movement by the SS or 2B. Don't know.

Given the time between getting the sign and releasing the ball and the time it takes a fielder to "cheat" I doubt that a pitcher would be forced to change her timing/rhythm.

Bottom Line IMO: It makes more sense for the defense to adjust than it does to dramatically change what a pitcher does just because of the defensive liabilities of one player.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
User avatar
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:02 am

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions