Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Batting in SoCal

by Skarp » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:28 pm

wrenchhead wrote:when i ask them about why they dont change, most of them hope to be firecrackers someday and are hopeful he will eventually ask them to join his organization.

Then most of them are stupid.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wrenchhead » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:30 pm

i agree with that!!!
wrenchhead

by NumeroUno » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:45 pm

softballmafia wrote:I agree ....the old way was alot better...DD learned alot more and progressed. Prices went up as well as thethe amount of girls he was teaching at one time...If I want to see college girls I will go and watch them at a game, not impressed about college girls hanging around the facility or famed past players.

The price of everything has gone up and I wasn't talking about me being impressed about college players and famed past players, but the girls that hit there like it better than watching a bunch of old fat guys giving lessons. Both my kids love going there..
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Skarp » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:50 pm

wrenchhead wrote:

i agree with that!!!

I'm sure they'll be happy to hear it.

I know quite a few people who go to Rico, and not a single one has voiced the concern you mention. As has been said on here a number of times, if a kid needs major swing reconstruction, Rico probably isn't the right choice. He makes incremental mechanical adjustments, while focusing mostly on the mental side of hitting and the game/life in general. The kids who get the most out of Rico are probably already fairly accomplished hitters.

You don't come to Rico's attention by hitting balls in a cage. You come to his attention by making a name for yourself on the field...which is the same way you come to the attention of any elite organization. So why anyone would settle for what they feel is inferior instruction is beyond me.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Skarp » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:59 pm

NumeroUno wrote:
softballmafia wrote:I agree ....the old way was alot better...DD learned alot more and progressed. Prices went up as well as thethe amount of girls he was teaching at one time...If I want to see college girls I will go and watch them at a game, not impressed about college girls hanging around the facility or famed past players.

The price of everything has gone up and I wasn't talking about me being impressed about college players and famed past players, but the girls that hit there like it better than watching a bunch of old fat guys giving lessons. Both my kids love going there..

Honestly, my kid doesn't get a lot out of the presence of the older players at Rico's facility. But that's more on her than anything...she's fairly reserved. For kids that want to, it's great to be able to plug into that elite community of girls, if only at the margins.

Part of being successful in any environment is believing that you belong there, so getting to know these top players on a human level is a great opportunity. They aren't mythical creatures...they are everyday kids. Rico provides an opportunity for his students to learn that.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by HEADCASE » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:00 pm

My DD was referred to him years ago and we turned it down because of what many of are saying. 3 lessons going at a time...etc. We thought it was crazy. Last year we gave it a shot and it has helped tremendously. Yes he focuses on the mental part and not so much on mechanics which is exactly what my DD needed. Couldn't be happier. Of course there are other great instructors. You just have to find the right one for your kid. I have always felt that you need to switch it up every few years to get a different perspective but now I'm not too sure.

And yes my daughter would like to play for him someday but she also knows she doesn't HAVE to.
HEADCASE

by wrenchhead » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:08 pm

they're usually not, because i voice my opinion to them that that's not reality.
but most people believe that their child is the next softball star.

May i ask then, in your opinion, at a younger age group, say 8U second year. Rico is not the right coach for them?
wrenchhead

by Skarp » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:16 pm

wrenchhead wrote:

they're usually not, because i voice my opinion to them that that's not reality.

May i ask then, in your opinion, at a younger age group, say 8U second year. Rico is not the right coach for them?

In my opinion, no (although I suppose it depends on the situation). Or at least if you take her to Rico, supplement with someone who works with her one-on-one to build her swing mechanics.

JMO.
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MoeFoes » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:54 pm

Skarp wrote:
wrenchhead wrote:

In my opinion, no (although I suppose it depends on the situation). Or at least if you take her to Rico, supplement with someone who works with her one-on-one to build her swing mechanics.

JMO.

Right own Skarp. I agree with the mechanics. Stith is a great coach as is Marty Tyson. Not many do 10U and only a few will do even 12U. Unless you have $$$$$$$$$$$$$$. I know of a few kids who have that natural eye for the ball but parents dont have the money or the time to drive all over SoCal. If all of these guys would get off their high horse they could really make this game a slugfest!!!!
"Why I Aughta"
MoeFoes

Previous

Return to CA