NumeroUno wrote:At a high school game this week they had Barney Fife for a ump. He checked all the bats and then took a piece of white paper in his hand put the bat barrel in the paper and spun the in his hand looking for rolled bats. He said that he could tell if the bats have been rolled. He also did this to a couple aluminum bats.
MTR wrote:NumeroUno wrote:At a high school game this week they had Barney Fife for a ump. He checked all the bats and then took a piece of white paper in his hand put the bat barrel in the paper and spun the in his hand looking for rolled bats. He said that he could tell if the bats have been rolled. He also did this to a couple aluminum bats.
Thought I had already posted this, but will repeat.
It is true. There are certain characteristics of a rolled bat you can feel using a simple piece of paper. I wouldn't have believed it if I did not experience this myself this past winter.
There is no guarantee that this will be detectable on every bat that is rolled, but there are no false positives.
Ace wrote:Our first hs game of the season and the same thing happened. An umpire with a history of making his presence known, EVERY game, showed up with a piece of paper. He wrapped it around all the bats and tossed the NEWEST Easton out of the game. I asked him why the bat was illegal and he rewrapped the bat and said "feel here"....... I felt nothing. He took my finger and put it on what he said was the problem........ I felt nothing. So he looks at me and says, "well I feel it and the bat is GONE!".
Since that game we have played 5 other games and nobody has even come close to removing the same bat from any other games.
There has GOT to be a better solution than, I feel it, and you dont!
What a Joke!
NumeroUno wrote:MTR we did the same test and we could not feel anything different. When we used the paper on a brand new 2008 EASTON SCN8B SYNERGY that bat felt like it had lumps in it. Then we tested it on 2 different rolled bats and they felt the same. I was reading up on the process of a rolled bat. You can roll a bat and break it in partially or you can roll the heck out of it and break it in all the way. What I was told is the only real way to see if the bat has been rolled would be to use an ex ray machine. Maybe you might have to give the bat a MRI but that might takes months depending on your insurance. Like I said this is what I was told so I don't know how accurate this is.