Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

need advise on breaking in a nokona catchers mitt.

What's on your mind?

by NumeroUno » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:37 pm

The best and quickest way to break in a glove is to get a bucket of balls and stand next to your pitching machine. Put the glove on and put is 12 inches from the ball shoot. With your other hand start feeding the balls. I put my machine at 70 and it hurts like hell but you can break the glove in very fast. Some of the balls will stay in the glove but it is hard to hold on to them with a stiff glove. After 15 minutes of pain you will see a difference. Send me $100 and I will do it for you. The $100 is to cover the ice that I will need for my hand. I have done this on so many gloves it isn't funny. I did 3 at one high school practice last year.
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Joe » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:41 pm

Skarp wrote:Petroleum jelly is what I use,....It has worked very well for us.

Hmmm.....?
Joe

by Skarp » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Joe wrote:
Skarp wrote:Petroleum jelly is what I use,....It has worked very well for us.

Hmmm.....?

I'm just sayin'...

What was the topic again?
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by absdad » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Skarp wrote:I'm pretty sure the Nokona "conditioner" is just petroleum jelly,

I believe you're right. Strangely enough, there is no ingredients list on the Nokona "stuff". :lol:
We went with the Nokona conditioner when we bought the mitt. At the time I didn't realize what it was. It does seem to a slightly lighter consistency than petro jelly. Maybe I'm just not as experienced as some.. 8-)
absdad

by watcher » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:14 pm

Myself & DD have broken 6-7 of Nokona mitts, Remember they are a (double-break) mitt

I lube it up paying a little more attention to the pocket, Bend it at one of the "break" points and stuff it under a couch over night , Repeat with other break points. I took a pitching machine ball & drilled a hole 2/3 of the way thru & drove in a wood dowel (14" long) DD then catches with it & i the evening uses the prop to slam into the pocket, Then manually working the break-points.
This can be done wile she is watching TV, Catch more with it & your done. I have seen more mitts ruined by people making it a "single-break" glove than you can believe.

Yes the Nokona NLT Classic Glove Conditioner is Petroleum jelly
watcher

by Twocents » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:28 am

NumeroUno wrote:The best and quickest way to break in a glove is to get a bucket of balls and stand next to your pitching machine. Put the glove on and put is 12 inches from the ball shoot. With your other hand start feeding the balls. I put my machine at 70 and it hurts like hell but you can break the glove in very fast. Some of the balls will stay in the glove but it is hard to hold on to them with a stiff glove. After 15 minutes of pain you will see a difference. Send me $100 and I will do it for you. The $100 is to cover the ice that I will need for my hand. I have done this on so many gloves it isn't funny. I did 3 at one high school practice last year.

Thais how I break in my batting helmet too! JK!! I could'nt resist. LOL
Twocents

by watcher » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:25 am

watcher wrote:Myself & DD have broken 6-7 of Nokona mitts, Remember they are a (double-break) mitt

I lube it up paying a little more attention to the pocket, Bend it at one of the "break" points and stuff it under a couch over night , Repeat with other break points. I took a pitching machine ball & drilled a hole 2/3 of the way thru & drove in a wood dowel (14" long) DD then catches with it & i the evening uses the prop to slam into the pocket, Then manually working the break-points.
This can be done wile she is watching TV, Catch more with it & your done. I have seen more mitts ruined by people making it a "single-break" glove than you can believe.

Yes the Nokona NLT Classic Glove Conditioner is Petroleum jelly

Wow, I posted this after a 30 hours at work, I did proof read it & still made a mess of it. LOL :D
watcher

by 90066DAD » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:45 pm

Order the Glove Stuff at

www.sandalady.com

Excellent product for breaking in a new glove or conditioning an old one.
90066DAD

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions