Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Photo/Video Gallery

Back at ya!

Have a good action shot? Send it to us.

by umpinva » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:09 am

wadeintothem wrote:They need to work with that pitcher before she gets herself killed, especially if that was a reaction to a ball hit to 3rd.

Excellent Point!
umpinva

by Tucson » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:51 am

Then, I don't understand this whole set up. The title is "Back at Ya."

Is the pitcher slapping her hip, and that is why the glove is low at release?

And just for clarity, my DD pitched, too. She was nailed twice, in the wrist, below the glove.
Tucson

by NumeroUno » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:31 am

umpinva wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:They need to work with that pitcher before she gets herself killed, especially if that was a reaction to a ball hit to 3rd.

Excellent Point!

Wake up ladies that was a joke, man you guys are slow today.
A little bit early in the morning for a glass of Christmas cheer isn't it?
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Sam » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:51 am

Judging from the batters helmet, this was a rec game.

Many pitchers who have been hit by shots back up the middle react like this. A lot of people on this board have wonderful opinions about teaching these kids to play defense. The improved hitters and the hot bats have ninimized the reaction time of pitchers to the point where there is little they can do to protect themselves.

Amanda Scarborough, Texas A&M pitcher, was hit while playing 1B....would anyone here tell her to learn how to play defense? Read this and what it says about the impact of the ball...

http://newsok.com/article/3061767
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by winginit » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:05 am

Good Morning - I know it is a bit early for the ball to go over the fence, but that could be the response to a four bagger! My DD is a pitcher as well, I pray her instincts will defend her on the shots back up the middle. For me (instead of worring about the bad things that can happen), I focus on how she is going to hit her spots, get ahead in counts, and prevent or minimmize shots. If she makes the mistake, I trust in God and her instincts to protect her.

BTW. pitcher, keep rocking in the circle and go out and win more battles than you lose. Learn from every pitch and keep on believing in yourself.
winginit

by FPDD_cabbie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:22 am

I believe we all worry about the pitcher when the ball comes back at her, even if its the other teams' pitcher.

In this same USSSA tourny two games later OUR pitcher had a one bouncer back at her. Everyone heard that dull thud the ball made bouncing off her chest. Our pitcher tried to continue to make the play but crumpled up in pain a few steps later. Umpires & Coach asked if she was okay. She said yes and wanted to continue to pitch. Two batters later another ball came back at her but she was able to react and throw to first for the out.

Last summer my DD pitched in TCS Utah 12U game when the batter hit a line drive right back at her. When she spun around I thought for sure she was hit. She stood there for a moment then showed the ball to the Base Ump. I went from panic to joy in those few seconds. But I still worry that one of these day she won't be so fortunate.

NU - nice joke about the ball going to 3rd. I was a little slow too.
Sam - the helmets are back ordered so she is wearing her what she has for now.
Last edited by FPDD_cabbie on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret to happiness is a Good Sense of Humor and a Bad Memory.
FPDD_cabbie

by Whizzer86 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:05 pm

The mind works quickly, I was a pitcher as well. If I had thrown a pitch that fat, I would have looked the same as she did. Some times you throw a ball and say immidiately "OH SH**" "Duck and Cover" was the appropriate post.
Whizzer86

by simmerdown » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:33 pm

NumeroUno wrote:Before we start trying to hang each other I just have one thing to say, the pitcher was okay it was just a hard hit ground ball to third :roll:

OMG, that's her reaction to a grounder to third? I wanna see her reaction to pop fly! :lol:
simmerdown

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:59 am

winginit wrote: If she makes the mistake, I trust in God and her instincts to protect her.

If I'm Coaching the other team, both names better be on the lineup card ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to Photo/Video Gallery