10u catcher playing 12u pickup.

Throwdown.

Nice block. Notice the plate behind her. :mrgreen:

dad161727

by fastpitchmom17 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:27 pm

So would this be catcher obstruction?
fastpitchmom17

by wadeintothem » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:09 am

no way to know by the pic and probably not.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by NumeroUno » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:57 am

What is the rule if a catcher is in the base line drops down to her knees, catches the ball and the runner plows into her? Does the runner have to slide feet first or is the Pete Rose approach ok
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by wadeintothem » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:44 am

NumeroUno wrote:What is the rule if a catcher is in the base line drops down to her knees, catches the ball and the runner plows into her? Does the runner have to slide feet first or is the Pete Rose approach ok

In NFHS and ASA the rules are nearly identical. If a defender has the ball and the runner remains on their feet and crashes into the defender, the runner is out. If it is flagrant (a la Rose crushing Fosse), they are out and ejected.

The runner does not need to slide. The runner can go around (within the rules), over (except NFHS unless defender is laying down), give up.. etc. But if they crash, out, if flagrant, out/ejected.

There is no "feet first" rule on a slide in any rule set I'm aware of.

I determine flagrancy for this rule based on impact and actions of the runner (shouldering in, what I see in terms of the destruction of the defender, etc). I usually eject 1-2 per year in accordance with this.

If you are sliding, you can crush the defender as long as there is nothing unsportsmanlike (ie cleats high in the air, etc).
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Return to Photo/Video Gallery