Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

Skills Video Components

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by CFAdmin » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:34 am

I know this information is available in bits and pieces, but I'm really confused on what makes a good Skills Video. What should be in a video?

- Live Action vs. Staged Drills
- Pitching Machine vs. Live Pitching
- Agility Drills?
- Running?
- Length of Video
- Etc.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated or if someone can direct me to some well-done efforts on YouTube.

Thanks.
CFAdmin

by hit4power » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:40 am

By no means am I an expert, but here is the advice we got

Live action was discouraged although I have seen some vids with live action shots. Live action tends to emphasize results over technique/skill/athleticism and coaches are watching video to assess those things not results. They'll come to your game to see live action.

Pitching: Machine was recommended although we did short distance front toss (from about 20-25ft). Again, the focus is on showing swing mechanics, not results vs. live pitching.

Agility drills: Never seen agility drills in a video.

Running: We got mixed views on this. Did not include in our video. I suppose if your kid is a slapper, or speed is her strength, you might want to include a sequence of home to first or home to second with timing.

Length: As short as you can - coaches don't have time to watch a documentary. We put a thirty second or so teaser at the front of ours showing a few of her best fielding and hitting sequences. I figured that was enough to let most coaches decide if they were interested in seeing more.

Other: We opened and closed with a simple screen shot of DD's vital statistics and contact info and had the editor put her name and class year in the bottom corner of the frames so it was visible while it played.

If you are lucky enough to be in Cali, there are some companies that do great videos from what I've seen and I'm sure they can help you get this right.
hit4power
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ECSB » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi - we researched it, went to seminars to listen to what coaches wanted and ended up making our own. It is not hard with a $200 video camera and a tripod. DD's H.S. coach helped and provided the pitching machine. Edited by other DD on her Mac. Here are some of our tips-some direct from coaches. Our DD is an infielder, can't really speak to pitching.

1. If she is a position player, lead with hitting. If all she is is fast, you may want to lead with that.
2. A hitter should show she can hit to all fields. Show both soft toss and from pitching machine. Show from the side and behind.
3. Show a few bunts - no more than three.
4. Show a run from home to first.
5. Show some fielding at her positions. Don't go overboard.
6. Don't over edit. Too many edits scream - can't this kid pull it together for two plays in a row?
7. No music. Just the crack of the bat.

Total about 5 minutes.

Just go to you-tube, type in Softball skills video 2011 (or whatever) to check out the competition. You will seen from the great to the "what are they thinking?" Some are just out there. Don't be one of those.
ECSB

by anonlooker » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Just a bump, hoping that we could get some more input here, maybe from those who went through the recruiting this past fall/winter.

A few schools have asked for a video, and we'd like to get it right.

Advice on using a pro service vs do-it-yourself, content, length, best rock anthem soundtracks (jk lol).

Any services used and the good and bad you experienced?

Feedback from coaches on what about the video they liked, what was most helpful, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by NumeroUno » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:52 pm

Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by jonriv » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:47 am

make it yourself- pro-video is not worth it unless you are looking for an oscar
jonriv

by fasterpitch92701 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:04 pm

- Live Action vs. Staged Drills
Staged: coaches are looking for mechanics, movement, speed, arm.
- Pitching Machine vs. Live Pitching
Machine: again, mechanics and athleticism are the point.
- Agility Drills?
No... don't think so
- Running
No again
- Length of Video
Short, 3-4 minutes.
- Etc.
Have 12 second intro with name, phone and email address. Have the player
speak her name and where she is playing, speaking with clarity and a smile. Portray
yourself well. Have text with name, phone, email.
Make the intro BRIEF
No music background. It's a meaningless distraction.
Focus the entire video on attained skills and not fluff.

JUUUUUUUUUUUST my humble opinion....
fasterpitch92701

by pixsguy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:10 pm

i do these on occasion with my HD...short intro, main position, secondary position, bunting and hitting...max 4-5 minutes..coaches are looking for form, footwork and foundation and no matter how you cut and edit, they can see what they are looking for or not...
pixsguy
Premium Member
Premium Member

by N2DFIRE » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:26 pm

I haven't seen much input on this topic, about editing. How much editing is too much. I see some videos that every pitch or play is a new frame(edit). I would think some continuous video of several pitches or plays would better. To show what the girl is able to do. Ten hours of video, edited to get three minutes of skills video, would be miss leading.
N2DFIRE

Return to College Recruiting