Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Recruiting

College scholorships

Questions and Discussions Regarding the College Recruiting process

by NumeroUno » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:31 pm

I just heard of an outfielder that recieved a 5 year full ride with a 6 year option..
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by anonlooker » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:35 pm

NumeroUno wrote:I just heard of an outfielder that recieved a 5 year full ride with a 6 year option..

So you see? Plenty of money for everybody!

What's best is the option year, giving the kids a better chance to graduate after basically attending "Softball Comes First U" for the first 4 years.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
anonlooker

by rbi » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
dodgerblue wrote:You see nobody talks about it.

They talk about it all the time. Everyone you hear about tells you they got a full ride for 5 years, no matter the school or the position. ;)

On top of that if EVERYONE that says "so and so really wants my daughter", that ONE school would have 60 kids on the roster.

I have heard though recently of the 5yr full ride with the 6th year option including on campus job in 6th year, I thought that sounded very attractive being that school was a CWS type of program.
rbi
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Joe » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:27 pm

dodgerblue wrote:....I think with all the money I spent on traveling, due's, gas, family sacrifices I think that i could of just saved that money and paid for the damn tuition myself.

The best advice ever on HB...

If DD plays and loves the game... and as a result gathers up some tuition coin, then by all means...go for it. Too many times though...DD plays for the scholarship = Fool's Gold.
Joe

by CheckWriter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Why don't you post your salaries? When older DD got the offer she eventually accepted, she was specifically asked not to discuss the amount.

DD only knows how much her buddies are getting. Schools that give more than 4 years are not givng "athletic scholarships". 4 years of eligibility = 4 years of scholarship. That 5th year is "academic" or other money. Of course, if you are getting the money, it certainly doesn't matter what "category" it falls under. I know a kid that was recruited by a state school where the coach told the parents that their income (or lack thereof) would get them 90%+.

I think the general theme here is correct: how bad they need you vs how bad you want to play there ... with a little GPA, SAT and alternative funding options sprinkled in.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sparky Guy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:21 pm

TXfastpitchsoftball wrote:
dodgerblue wrote:For those in the know what kind of offer can you expect from a college for the following?
1. Pitcher: %
2. Catcher: %
3. Middle infield: %
4. Corners: %
5. Outfield: %
In the past I always hear the person verballed here or there but nobody ever says what percent is covered in that offer. So my question is that percentage 25%, 50%, 75% or rarely 100%.

I find it interesting that no one is really answer the question posed. So here is my 2 cents.

Each individual player is dependent on her own talent level. A game changing centerfielder with crazy speed may command more than a starting catcher. Each school is different in how they spend their money. Some schools spread it around. Some spend all of their 12 scholarships on 12 players with full rides and fill the rest of their rosters with walk-ons. But that said, my experience is at full-funded Div. I programs in Texas an expected freshman starter will get:

Pitchers - more than everyone else (60-100 percent)
Catchers - more than most (50-80 percent)
Middle Infield - shortstops just behind catchers (50-80 percent)
Everyone else with slapper/speedsters ahead of the pack

Again, just my 2 cents but I'ld like to know what others think especially in other parts of the country.

DII has about the same percentages as DI when it comes to distributing the money. What many people don't realize is that not every softball program is not fully funded. If the team is only 50% funded the coach must do some real wheeling and dealing to get players signed. Because softball is not a revenue sport the teams are at the mercy of the AD and his budget.

My daughter was a DII pitcher. She received her out of state tuition paid for and a small portion of the room and board along with some other fees. She got her degree in 4 years with only having to take a minimal amount of student loans.
Sparky Guy

by jonriv » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:56 am

Most programs are NOT fully funded. My DD interviewed with 6 Div I teams, none were fully funded, one offered no $$$$ at all(they were not IVY either), two offered only on a financial needs basis. One Div II school could only offer on a financial needs basis. There also seems to be an inverse relationship(at least here in the Northeast) between the academic quality of the school and the scholarships available

BTW- grants and merit scholarships are many times the better option- they are usually for four years, while athletic money is year to year
jonriv

by TXfastpitchsoftball » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:08 am

I don't agree that "most" Division I programs are not fully funded. I think it misleading to compare smaller, private liberal arts schools in the Northeast with programs in the midwest, south, southeast, and west where I believe "most" Dv. I programs are fully funded.
TXfastpitchsoftball

by jonriv » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:37 am

My assesment that Most are not fully funded comes from experience and from the experiences of my daughters friends. Although schools in the PAC 10 and SEC may all be fully funded- I have come accross schools from the Big East, Colonial, A-10, ACC and patriot that are not fully funded. As much as we all love softball- it is not Football or Basketball. From the college clinics, showcase etc.. that we have attended, I have come to the conclusion that there isa real misconception on just how much money is really out there. I would also stand by my contention that an overwhelming majority of Div I schools are not fully funded with their scholarships
jonriv

by jonriv » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:41 am

There are over 950 colleges with teams. Approximately 220 are Division 1; approximately 230 are Division 2; and the balance is divided between Division 3 and NAIA schools. Fewer than 50% of colleges offer softball scholarships but most schools have financial aid of one kind or another. Division 1 schools are allowed a maximum of 12 total scholarships (and most Division 1 programs are not fully funded.) Division 2 schools are allowed around 7 total scholarships and Division 3 schools have none in any sport.

from Cathy Aradi
jonriv

PreviousNext

Return to College Recruiting