Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Premier National Championship Fee...Really?

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by PDad » Mon May 06, 2013 3:08 pm

@rdelawder12 - How much cerveza y tequila did you drink last night? I didn't realize Cinco de Mayo was celebrated so robustly in Rhode Island...

- HOF is not the only opportunity in ASA Class A for outside berths. Every region can - and most do - host Class A National Qualifiers that are open to any team.

- Nationals are about getting the best teams they can - and anyone else that will pay to play.

- People hear/assign all kinds of reasons for why PGF was started. Your stated reason is not the main one and it's twisted a bit - West Coast teams were tired of almost always having to travel back east for Nats and made worse by the fact they'd finish in at least half the top spots. The real reason was the established Gold coaches weren't getting their way with ASA regarding multiple issues, so they started PGF out of frustration. They now get to run PGF however they want and PGF's existence has resulted in ASA becoming more responsive.

- ASA Nationals are geared towards determining a champion, not recruiting. Unfortunately, they screwed the pooch and lost most of the top teams to PGF. The diverse representation does provide a great experience for the participants along with visibility into the level of play across most of the country (with the obvious exception of the West Coast).

- Spazsdad already posted on in-state vs out-of-state scholarships. However, he missed the fact that a partial scholarship to an in-state kid is more appealing than the same percentage to an out-of-state kid because they are left with a smaller amount to pay. It is magnified at schools where it costs very little for in-state kids to attend (e.g. Texas?). So, some schools can be successful offering a smaller percentage to an in-state kid than an out-of-state kid.

- Colleges will recruit where they can get the best players for their program. The most competitive programs will go where the best players are competing against each other, regardless of geography. The other programs will go where their budget allows and where they have a good chance at recruiting the best players they can get for their program.

- I'm not interested in looking up players from the top 25 college teams because I doubt the usefulness of it for determining where the best young players are competing today. Feel free to do it yourself and share your results.

- A ton of money is wasted by parents chasing college scholarships with a haphazard and shotgun approach. The most efficient thing would be the development of recognized classifications of showcase events by a target level/group of colleges (academically and athletics). Teams could form along particular classification(s) and schedule accordingly. This would also be beneficial for colleges in alloting their limited number of recruiting days. I know it's a pipe dream, but wouldn't it be nice...
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon May 06, 2013 3:41 pm

PDad wrote:@rdelawder12 - How much cerveza y tequila did you drink last night? I didn't realize Cinco de Mayo was celebrated so robustly in Rhode Island...

- HOF is not the only opportunity in ASA Class A for outside berths. Every region can - and most do - host Class A National Qualifiers that are open to any team.

- Nationals are about getting the best teams they can - and anyone else that will pay to play.

- People hear/assign all kinds of reasons for why PGF was started. Your stated reason is not the main one and it's twisted a bit - West Coast teams were tired of almost always having to travel back east for Nats and made worse by the fact they'd finish in at least half the top spots. The real reason was the established Gold coaches weren't getting their way with ASA regarding multiple issues, so they started PGF out of frustration. They now get to run PGF however they want and PGF's existence has resulted in ASA becoming more responsive.

- ASA Nationals are geared towards determining a champion, not recruiting. Unfortunately, they screwed the pooch and lost most of the top teams to PGF. The diverse representation does provide a great experience for the participants along with visibility into the level of play across most of the country (with the obvious exception of the West Coast).

- Spazsdad already posted on in-state vs out-of-state scholarships. However, he missed the fact that a partial scholarship to an in-state kid is more appealing than the same percentage to an out-of-state kid because they are left with a smaller amount to pay. It is magnified at schools where it costs very little for in-state kids to attend (e.g. Texas?). So, some schools can be successful offering a smaller percentage to an in-state kid than an out-of-state kid.

- Colleges will recruit where they can get the best players for their program. The most competitive programs will go where the best players are competing against each other, regardless of geography. The other programs will go where their budget allows and where they have a good chance at recruiting the best players they can get for their program.

- I'm not interested in looking up players from the top 25 college teams because I doubt the usefulness of it for determining where the best young players are competing today. Feel free to do it yourself and share your results.

- A ton of money is wasted by parents chasing college scholarships with a haphazard and shotgun approach. The most efficient thing would be the development of recognized classifications of showcase events by a target level/group of colleges (academically and athletics). Teams could form along particular classification(s) and schedule accordingly. This would also be beneficial for colleges in alloting their limited number of recruiting days. I know it's a pipe dream, but wouldn't it be nice...

You mean like the 2200's or the 4.0's to atttrack more academic demanding schools? :D
jonriv

by ontheblack » Mon May 06, 2013 4:08 pm

rdelawder12 wrote:I can't wait till PGF officially copies ASA and does in state tournies for berths and then hosts it's only HOF tournament for outside berth opportunities. From a recruiting perspective, is Nationals about the absolute best teams or about the best teams all over the country coming together to make recruiting easier for the College Coaches? I've heard PGF was started so the best West Coast teams didn't have to do all the traveling and West Coast wanted it's own national, so everyone could come to them. It's starting to get confusing when I see tournaments in other states being won by teams out of state and out of the region. This is where I like ASA with the in state berths and the regional berth then HOF for a last chance effort. I'm starting to not like these qualifiers east of the mississippi loaded up with west coast teams, it's pretty much like PGF really is becoming a West Coast National (beyond the invites) while ASA is about state/region representation for the RECRUITING PROCESS. One has to keep in mind out of state athletes cost twice as much as in state athletes, so this West Coast mentality is costing kids scholarships everywhere, as well as, how much athletic monies they receive. JMO Texas is proof, they are officially staying in state for their athletes because they can get twice as much for thier buck. As we can all discuss PGF Premier 18u HS versus ASA Gold because it's only about the best against the best, as the younger ages is only about the recruiting process and I think that's being forgotten here, which is why every state needs representation because there are way more D1 programs east of the Mississippi and overall it's about the College Education and the athletic monies received!!!! No matter how we shake the tree, wherever the best pitchers are, is where the best teams are and we might want to look across the country and see where the best pitchers in the country are coming from, because Pitching pulls in the College Coaches, especially at the younger ages!!!
I'd like for someone to look at the currently ranked top 25 NCAA teams and take the teams #1 and #2 Pitchers and do a little geographic comparison (anyone interested)? It's been known some of the best hitters come from the West Coast, but wouldn't mind seeing a geography of the top 4 in the line up of each top 25 team as well (anyone interested)? This information may say alot and help all National tournaments, as alot of parents can't afford to do all these qualifers and then week long tournaments for 3 weeks of a 10 week summer. We spend it as parents because our girls love the game, but also to benefit with scholarship assitance at the next level, it cant be about a family spending $5K to $7K over a 10 week period for 3 years straight to hopefully get their kid recruited and a scholarship or all Nationals may some day loose their appeal, especially in this economy....

Paragraphs are your friend.
ontheblack

by rdelawder12 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:23 pm

ontheblack wrote:
rdelawder12 wrote:I can't wait till PGF officially copies ASA and does in state tournies for berths and then hosts it's only HOF tournament for outside berth opportunities. From a recruiting perspective, is Nationals about the absolute best teams or about the best teams all over the country coming together to make recruiting easier for the College Coaches? I've heard PGF was started so the best West Coast teams didn't have to do all the traveling and West Coast wanted it's own national, so everyone could come to them. It's starting to get confusing when I see tournaments in other states being won by teams out of state and out of the region. This is where I like ASA with the in state berths and the regional berth then HOF for a last chance effort. I'm starting to not like these qualifiers east of the mississippi loaded up with west coast teams, it's pretty much like PGF really is becoming a West Coast National (beyond the invites) while ASA is about state/region representation for the RECRUITING PROCESS. One has to keep in mind out of state athletes cost twice as much as in state athletes, so this West Coast mentality is costing kids scholarships everywhere, as well as, how much athletic monies they receive. JMO Texas is proof, they are officially staying in state for their athletes because they can get twice as much for thier buck. As we can all discuss PGF Premier 18u HS versus ASA Gold because it's only about the best against the best, as the younger ages is only about the recruiting process and I think that's being forgotten here, which is why every state needs representation because there are way more D1 programs east of the Mississippi and overall it's about the College Education and the athletic monies received!!!! No matter how we shake the tree, wherever the best pitchers are, is where the best teams are and we might want to look across the country and see where the best pitchers in the country are coming from, because Pitching pulls in the College Coaches, especially at the younger ages!!!
I'd like for someone to look at the currently ranked top 25 NCAA teams and take the teams #1 and #2 Pitchers and do a little geographic comparison (anyone interested)? It's been known some of the best hitters come from the West Coast, but wouldn't mind seeing a geography of the top 4 in the line up of each top 25 team as well (anyone interested)? This information may say alot and help all National tournaments, as alot of parents can't afford to do all these qualifers and then week long tournaments for 3 weeks of a 10 week summer. We spend it as parents because our girls love the game, but also to benefit with scholarship assitance at the next level, it cant be about a family spending $5K to $7K over a 10 week period for 3 years straight to hopefully get their kid recruited and a scholarship or all Nationals may some day loose their appeal, especially in this economy....

Paragraphs are your friend.

Totally Agree!!! LMAO
rdelawder12

by jonriv » Mon May 06, 2013 4:27 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
jonriv wrote:

You mean like the 2200's or the 4.0's to atttrack more academic demanding schools? :D

Looks like somebody would be left out of that group :oops: :lol: :lol:

Damn this iphone :o
jonriv

by Dowhatulike » Mon May 27, 2013 10:11 am

PGF is worth it, I would spend more than $1700 going to ASA nationals than.If you live in California it is definitely worth it,ASA had it's chance.Hotels, flights,rental cars and food broke a lot more than $1700 plus all the California teams always made it to the finals plus PGF is more college recruiter friendly. It's PGFS turn now and it makes complete sense, play and drive home then come back again....perfect!!! :lol:
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Mon May 27, 2013 10:42 am

Dowhatulike wrote:PGF is worth it, I would spend more than $1700 going to ASA nationals than.If you live in California it is definitely worth it,ASA had it's chance.Hotels, flights,rental cars and food broke a lot more than $1700 plus all the California teams always made it to the finals plus PGF is more college recruiter friendly. It's PGFS turn now and it makes complete sense, play and drive home then come back again....perfect!!! :lol:

Dowhatulike this is a national tourney, it's not just for California teams. Just because you can drive in an out the teams from the other 20 some states that come don't have that luxury. One of the great things about having this tourney in California is the weather, the chance of a rain is slim to none. It is hard to beat 75 degrees in late July with a ocean breeze. Maybe they should charge all the local teams more money than the teams that have to travel, help spread out the cost :)
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by AlwaysImprove » Mon May 27, 2013 6:07 pm

PGF is optimized for teams:
- They get you in, and let you go home.
- Held in a location that is easy to travel too, 3 major airports, every airline in the world. Always reasonably priced flight. Always a rental car available.
- Held in a location with loads of hotels that compete.
- Held in a location where in-climate weather that time of the year is very unlikely.

PGF has proven that you can have an opening ceremony, and that does not require teams to be in town for 4 days.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dowhatulike » Tue May 28, 2013 6:56 pm

NumeroUno wrote:
Dowhatulike wrote:PGF is worth it, I would spend more than $1700 going to ASA nationals than.If you live in California it is definitely worth it,ASA had it's chance.Hotels, flights,rental cars and food broke a lot more than $1700 plus all the California teams always made it to the finals plus PGF is more college recruiter friendly. It's PGFS turn now and it makes complete sense, play and drive home then come back again....perfect!!! :lol:

Dowhatulike this is a national tourney, it's not just for California teams. Just because you can drive in an out the teams from the other 20 some states that come don't have that luxury. One of the great things about having this tourney in California is the weather, the chance of a rain is slim to none. It is hard to beat 75 degrees in late July with a ocean breeze. Maybe they should charge all the local teams more money than the teams that have to travel, help spread out the cost :)

Numero UNO I think you are taking this the wrong way! We all know it is the best national championship there is but we all know what it really comes down to. No sugar coating here! Sure the weather is nice but it isnt really about Sunshine and flip flops?It is convienent I am not going to lie and maybe they will host this prestigious event in another state sometime in the near future. Money makes the world go around :o :o
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dowhatulike » Tue May 28, 2013 6:57 pm

AlwaysImprove wrote:PGF is optimized for teams:
- They get you in, and let you go home.
- Held in a location that is easy to travel too, 3 major airports, every airline in the world. Always reasonably priced flight. Always a rental car available.
- Held in a location with loads of hotels that compete.
- Held in a location where in-climate weather that time of the year is very unlikely.

PGF has proven that you can have an opening ceremony, and that does not require teams to be in town for 4 days.

Nicely said
Dowhatulike
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch