Events

Saturday July 20: Dinner and Championship Bracket Draw
Sunday July 21: Two Pool Games for all teams
Monday July 22: One Pool Game for all teams
Monday July22: OPENING CEREMONIES
Tuesday July 23: Bracket Play
Wednesday July 24: Bracket Play
Thursday July 25: Bracket Play

Friday July 26: Completion of Bracket Play at Huntington Beach and Fountain Valley

Friday July 26: Championship Games

18 and Under Premier Division
18 and Under *Platinum* Division
12 and Under Division

Events

Saturday July 27: Dinner and Championship Bracket Draw
Sunday July 28: Two Pool Games for all teams
Monday July 29: One Pool Game for all teams
Monday July 29: OPENING CEREMONIES
Tuesday July 30: Bracket Play
Wednesday July 31: Bracket Play
Thursday August 1: Bracket Play
Friday August 2: Completion of Bracket Play

Saturday August 3: Championship Games for all Divisions

OK, call me crazy. And I guess pointing out the obvious makes me an ASA homer again, despite not working an ASA National in three years, and working the Premier HS Division Championship each of those three.

But doesn't this 8 day schedule in each age group (Saturday to Saturday) now match the "just too ridiculously long" ASA (Sunday to Sunday) schedule??

I don't care whose tournaments you prefer, but the actual functional differences are getting fewer and smaller all the time.

There is no place for logic in softball.
ontheblack

by CULater » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:13 am

Dear PGF

On behalf of all the geographically challenged and underdeveloped teams, my heartfelt thank you for allowing us the opportunity to come to Southern California and participate on the same fields and in front of the same coaches as your elite teams.

Could you be anymore arrogant and elitist in this attempt to include other teams.

How about you just say,

Beginning this year and continuing into the future, PGF is adding a second division for 18 and under teams. This event will take place at the same time and at the same location as the Premier National division. This is an excellent opportunity to take advantage of the beautiful weather and facilities in Southern California and compete in front of hundreds of college coaches.

The teams that are not on the elite level know they are not on an elite level, those teams that are geographically challenged didn't walk out of front doors this morning and say "what the hell is this white stuff on the ground and why does my area of the country not have thousand of elite softball players?".

When you say you are adding a second division, is pretty much assumed that it will be for teams that are not quite on par with yours. When teams go to Colorado and have to place in the top 6 of the Louisville tournament to get into the Boulder tournament, they don't say it is for less developed or geographically challenged teams, just a simple note that says "LOUISVILLE will host a separate 32 team 18U tournament which will be played at the Louisville Sports Complex, fields provided and maintained by the City of Louisville. The top six finishers will earn spots in the 2014 Boulder tournament".

The message is the same, the key is in the delivery.
CULater

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:26 am

CULater wrote:When you say you are adding a second division, is pretty much assumed that it will be for teams that are not quite on par with yours.

And this is different than ASA 18u and Gold?
Sftbll4ever

by NumeroUno » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:46 am

CU I don't see what the problem is. This gives a lot of other teams the chance to participate in a national tourney. If the players and coaches do their job the college coaches will go watch them play. ASA has 18Gold and 18A same thing.

I think this is a good thing, it beats sitting home at the end of July :)
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by CULater » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:53 am

Do you all read the entire message or just one line here and there?

UNO-I have no problem with the tournament, I do have a problem with just how condescending, arrogant and elitist the email was.

sftbll4ever - As far as the ASA comparison, it is implied in the level, Gold vs A, everyone knows Gold is the level above A.
CULater

by rdelawder12 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:55 am

Sftbll4ever wrote:
CULater wrote:When you say you are adding a second division, is pretty much assumed that it will be for teams that are not quite on par with yours.

YES, Premier and Platinum are in the same location and on the same weekend! ASA Gold is the week before ASA/USA 18U and in different locations, so for the geographically challeged as I keep hearing, this allows for more exposure for one PRICE and for college scouts at one location! 18U Platinum (unlike ASA/USA 18U) is not competing with the 16U divisions and will allow for any kids that have slid through the cracks get a great look and maybe an offer to play at the next level by having 16U PGF on a different weekend, because we all know recruiters have been hitting 16u hard for the past couple of years, but yet everyone is told to get little Jenny to the Gold level as fast as possible, but if you do and National format isn't recruiter friendly, then alot of money would of been spent for no recruiting!!! JMO
As far as I know for Position players, the idea is to face the older/better pitching for recruiting purposes and this format allows for the younger more developed players to be playing at the highest level in ONE LOCATION for recruiting purposes at the National Level!!!!
ASA/USA Gold is in Florida July 22
18U ASA/USA is in Virginia July 28
16U ASA/USA is in California July 28
versus
16U PGF is in CA (now the same weekend as ASA/USA Gold) July 22
18U Premier is in CA (64 teams same as ASA/USA Gold) July 28
18U Platinum is in CA (64 teams same as ASA/USA 18U) July 28

College Scouts get to stay in one area for 2 weeks, means less money on plane tickets and less money spent on the schools budget and alot of kids to be seen from the correct graduating classes!!!! I like the Premier/Platinum idea, no downfall for the kids Gold team that didn't get one of the 64 berths to Premier, because she can go to Platinum play at the same time and location with all the same college coaches present!
Last edited by rdelawder12 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
rdelawder12

by CULater » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:03 am

rdelawder12 wrote:
Sftbll4ever wrote:

YES, Premier and Platinum are in the same location and on the same weekend! ASA Gold is the week before ASA/USA 18U and in different locations, so for the financially challeged as I keep hearing, this allows for more exposure for one PRICE and for college scouts at one location! 18U Platinum (unlike ASA/USA 18U) is not competing with the 16U divisions and will allow for any kids that have slid through the cracks get a great look and maybe an offer to play at the next level by having 16U PGF on a different weekend, because we all know recruiters have been hitting 16u hard for the past couple of years, but yet everyone is told to get little Jenny to the Gold level as fast as possible, but if you do and National format isn't recruiter friendly, then alot of money would of been spent for no recruiting!!! JMO
ASA/USA Gold is in Florida July 22
18U ASA/USA is in Virginia July 28
16U ASA/USA is in California July 28
versus
16U PGF is in CA (now the same weekend as ASA/USA Gold) July 22
18U Premier is in CA (64 teams same as ASA/USA Gold) July 28
18U Platinum is in CA (64 teams same as ASA/USA 18U) July 28

College Scouts get to stay in one area for 2 weeks, means less money on plane tickets and less money spent on the schools budget and alot of kids to be seen from the correct graduating classes!!!! I like the Premier/Platinum idea, no downfall for the kids Gold team that didn't get one of the 64 berths to Premier, because she can go to Platinum play at the same time and location with all the same college coaches present!

Dear God, you people have reading comprehension issues out the yingyang.

I DID NOT COMPARE PGF TO ASA. I SIMPLY STATED THAT THE EMAIL WAS CONDESCENDING AND ARROGANT. IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORDED IN A MORE FRIENDLY AND LESS ELITIST WAY, SIMILAR TO THE WAY BOULDER HANDLES THEIR TOURNAMENTS.
CULater

by NumeroUno » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:08 am

CULater wrote:Do you all read the entire message or just one line here and there?

UNO-I have no problem with the tournament, I do have a problem with just how condescending, arrogant and elitist the email was.

sftbll4ever - As far as the ASA comparison, it is implied in the level, Gold vs A, everyone knows Gold is the level above A.

I didn't see it as condescending or arrogant. I'll read it again and pay attention this time :)
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by rdelawder12 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:25 am

Dear God, you people have reading comprehension issues out the yingyang.

I DID NOT COMPARE PGF TO ASA. I SIMPLY STATED THAT THE EMAIL WAS CONDESCENDING AND ARROGANT. IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORDED IN A MORE FRIENDLY AND LESS ELITIST WAY, SIMILAR TO THE WAY BOULDER HANDLES THEIR TOURNAMENTS

I prefer the direct method in communication, and dont find it arrogant or condescending! A National Tournament is different than a National Showcase, Boulder is mostly by invite or apply and hope to be accepted and brings in a lot of College Coaches, as the TCS Firecracker Tourney in Aurora is losing the battle with Boulder and Boulders format! LIKE Boulder, Premier has never hidden they only want the ELITE teams and now Platinum allows for another 64 teams to be seen by the same Colleges that most likely attended Boulder and with no competing tournament since 16U is on a different weekend!
We can send our daughters to all the showcases across the country, but no guarantee her future coach will be there, this format allows for all coaches to be in attendance at a national tournament that will have 2015 thru 2013 graduation years playing at the highest level across the country and not have to concern ourselves if little Jenny is a 96 and still 16u eligible, so to get the best looks is to stay at 16U! What's happening today is 14U is playing all 16U events, so those true 16yr olds aren't getting showcased properly, because they need to be facing the 18yr old pitching! Remember 8 positions on the field dont pitch, so beyond defense, they need to be seen hitting the older kids, not the younger ones! Pitching is it's own animal and different topic, lol
rdelawder12

by rdelawder12 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:29 am

On a different note:
Since 16U premier is the weekend before the 18U, can players that are eligible play in the 16U and then play in the 18U the following weekend?
rdelawder12

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch