Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

ASA get lost

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by for real » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:49 pm

As a 10u parent and first full year of travel ball I can finally see what all the fuss is about first hand. The 10u are having to play Nationals in no man's land Johnson City Tennessee for 10 days while ASA nickel and dimes us to death every day ($10 cover charge $5 youth to get in fields) while we suffer in 90 something degree weather 80% humidity. Oh and to make it worse there is absolutely nothing to do out there. I don't mind spending the money but if I am it better be somewhere we will enjoy. Your telling me this is the best location ASA could find or the best place for them to make the most money! Let's keep it For Real!!

I can see now how some of you who have been doing this for many years be frustrated at this monopoly ASA has got away with and I hope PGF comes through with 12u next year. I think we should alternate between So Cal and Florida every year to make it fair for both coasts and nobody will complain because both places have the great weather and attractions.
for real

by Joe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:13 pm

for real wrote:As a 10u parent and first full year of travel ball I can finally see what all the fuss is about first hand. The 10u are having to play Nationals in no man's land Johnson City Tennessee for 10 days while ASA nickel and dimes us to death every day ($10 cover charge $5 youth to get in fields) while we suffer in 90 something degree weather 80% humidity. Oh and to make it worse there is absolutely nothing to do out there. I don't mind spending the money but if I am it better be somewhere we will enjoy. Your telling me this is the best location ASA could find or the best place for them to make the most money! Let's keep it For Real!!

I can see now how some of you who have been doing this for many years be frustrated at this monopoly ASA has got away with and I hope PGF comes through with 12u next year. I think we should alternate between So Cal and Florida every year to make it fair for both coasts and nobody will complain because both places have the great weather and attractions.

Hey, HEY, HEY...!!! Shhhhhhh......

You need to show some respect for the foks traveling to Midland in a few weeks?
Joe

by TexasYellowBall » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Joe wrote:
for real wrote:As a 10u parent and first full year of travel ball I can finally see what all the fuss is about first hand. The 10u are having to play Nationals in no man's land Johnson City Tennessee for 10 days while ASA nickel and dimes us to death every day ($10 cover charge $5 youth to get in fields) while we suffer in 90 something degree weather 80% humidity. Oh and to make it worse there is absolutely nothing to do out there. I don't mind spending the money but if I am it better be somewhere we will enjoy. Your telling me this is the best location ASA could find or the best place for them to make the most money! Let's keep it For Real!!

Hey, HEY, HEY...!!! Shhhhhhh......

You need to show some respect for the foks traveling to Midland in a few weeks?

Agreed.........I am from Texas and I will take TN weather over Midland any day of the week. Midland is going to be rough.....
TexasYellowBall

by NumeroUno » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:39 pm

There is a lot to do in Johnson City it us called softball. You are there for a national tourney which is an honor. Travelling across the country dealing with the elements playing teams from all over the USA sounds great to me. Watch out what you wish for and enjoy your nationals
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Joe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:47 pm

NumeroUno wrote:There is a lot to do in Johnson City it us called softball. You are there for a national tourney which is an honor. Travelling across the country dealing with the elements playing teams from all over the USA sounds great to me. Watch out what you wish for and enjoy your nationals

Yeah!!! Tell 'em Uno!!! It's supposed to be an honor!!!

:roll:
Joe

by ReubenKincaid » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:20 pm

I've got to believe that these cities are paying ASA to host the event in their town... either directly from city govt or from local chamber of commerce. Not unlike incentives by cities to attract conventions, etc.

After all, these isolated towns depend on huge influx of tourists (softball families) to spend money in their town.

the question is "how much big of a kick back is ASA getting?".
ReubenKincaid

by AlwaysImprove » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:53 pm

I do not think the kickback is as big as you would expect. They are like 100k or so, which is peanuts compared to what they are making.

A few items steer nationals to these same locations over and over.

1) These towns understand it is the umpires that make things happen at ASA. They lay out huge spreads for the umpires. Free ballrooms at hotels for umpire workshops, free sandwiches at the fields, luncheons and beer mixers. Umpires tend to fill out review forms, coaches do not.

2) These towns are politically intertwined with ASA. For instance, James Ellis is employed is the Athletic Director for Johnson City TN Parks and Rec department. He is also the state commissioner for Tennessee ASA. In other words he constructs Johnson City's ASA bid, submits it to ASA, takes off his Jonson City hat, puts on his ASA hat and votes in favor of his own proposal.

3) There is an voting block at ASA. It includes Johnson City, TN, Montgomery AL and Midland TX. They all vote for each others proposal. This ensures that each of them will get a nationals every year.
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DDsNbr1Fan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:40 pm

for real wrote:...I can see now how some of you who have been doing this for many years be frustrated at this monopoly ASA has got away with and I hope PGF comes through with 12u next year. I think we should alternate between So Cal and Florida every year to make it fair for both coasts and nobody will complain because both places have the great weather and attractions.

...apparently you haven't been in Florida in August!!! Not much difference than Tennessee!
DDsNbr1Fan
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Under the Radar » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:50 pm

I agree with Uno & Spaz. You dont like it dont go.

Off point here but from what I have heard, I would look for Triple Crown to make a big push at hosting Nationals in Colorado by combining Sparkler , Firework & Independence into 1 huge national..... Maybe not Indepence but at least the other 2. TCS already has TV contracts with Fox Sports & they already are attracting over 800 teams from all over the country to the Greater Denver area. And probly the largest gathering of recruiters then any other tournament. It is more centrally located & they have plenty of good fields.

With all the ASA vs. Premier seems like a golden oppertunity for them to capitolize.
Under the Radar
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jmo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:57 pm

Under the Radar wrote:I agree with Uno & Spaz. You dont like it dont go.

Off point here but from what I have heard, I would look for Triple Crown to make a big push at hosting Nationals in Colorado by combining Sparkler , Firework & Independence into 1 huge national..... Maybe not Indepence but at least the other 2. TCS already has TV contracts with Fox Sports & they already are attracting over 800 teams from all over the country to the Greater Denver area. And probly the largest gathering of recruiters then any other tournament. It is more centrally located & they have plenty of good fields.

With all the ASA vs. Premier seems like a golden oppertunity for them to capitolize.

Actually, Triple Crown is hosting an Elite 18U Tournament in July, 2012 in Manhattan, New York. There will be no qualifiers. It will be by rankings for the most part except for "At-Large" bids to be handed out by TC. Only a few teams of the top ranked teams have committed to attending at this time.
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch