Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Stockton 18U Gold Qualifier

by DHBHitting » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:06 am

Thus my comments about the Magic. They have been a top team in their age bracket for the past 3 years, so I was a little amused reading the comments about them... you know, the stuff like welcome to Gold ball, and just throwing hard dont get it done up here. Comments that were made as a slap against a very good, young team.

Those comments where not meant as a slap, well, maybe a little bit of a rib, as there was some debate in the fall as to how well they would transition their success to the Gold level based on how they where doing in fall at Gold. No disrespect intended that is for sure, they are a good young bunch but they did take some lumps down in Hemet. And I stand by the comment that just throwing a hard striaght will not beat the better Gold teams let alone the top Gold programs, that was evident down in Hemet as the Renegades handled that pitch pretty well from what I seen.

Again, congrats to the Magic who we all acknowledge is a solid young group who has just as good a chance to show well in OKC as anybody else we have in Nor Cal, because all in all I'm a Nor Cal guy, so go get em in OKC ladies!
DHBHitting

by Blind Squirrel » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:17 am

Intel wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
Blind Squirrel wrote:
Iluvblue wrote:Is anyone really surprised Lady magic qualified? those of you who want to take away from their 16u title just dont get it. There was no doubt in my mind they would get it done. The kids that are studs in 12s are studs in 14s, and then they get to gold and they are the studs in Gold. Nothing changes.

Congrats to the Magic, nothing but my respect to them and their coaches. Starting young, staying together and getting it done every year.

Begs the question: Why aren't top college coaches trying to get early verbals from 12U "studs?" (Maybe I'm just ignorant and the aforementioned "studs" DID verbal years ago, along with their peers, if they have any.)

John

Don't know about 12u but have heard there will probably be around 40 coaches in GA this year for 14u Nats. I guess fastpitch is finally catching up with other sports.

I hope 40 coaches do not show up in GA as most of those players are not recruitable and could cause some NCAA issues.

Coaches can easily accomplish their objectives without violating any rules. Especially if their objectives are short of making definite offers. My guess is the most the coaches will do is throw a few hooks in the water for parents to jump at in case the coach is interested at some point in the future.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Iluvblue » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:30 am

And I stand by the comment that just throwing a hard striaght will not beat the better Gold teams let alone the top Gold programs,

Well those comments are pretty much well known facts, arent they?

But arent those 2 pitchers off that team going to UCLA and Cal?? If so, I doubt that they just throw hard and straight. Those are normally the comments made by the parents of kids that will never dream of throwing even 60mph and are made out of envy. Also the same group that says speed doesnt matter. LOL, yeah, sure it doesnt. It isnt everything, but it sure is a big part of the pitching success equation.

Good luck to them.
Iluvblue

by wadeintothem » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:47 am

Unfortunately I didnt get to work a Lady Magic game in this tourney - there was an umpire issue and I got moved to another field when I was to have a plate game for Lady Magic. I did work a single Sorcerer game on Friday and they were definitely top notch.

My Breeze games with coach tommy (3 games I think with that team) went great and I got along with him well and have no problem with the aggressive style of play that I saw... other than they are a noisy bunch... :lol: But then again I've always said if it wasnt for cheering softball would be the perfect sport and since we cant have a perfect sport - cheering must be allowed. They hammer the ball.. so regardless of anything else some other teams pin their hats on such as whining about umpires, cheap play, hard tags, invisible rule infractions, this call or that call - that last time I checked you gotta hit the ball and score points to win and they definitely do that.

As I sit here - I struggle to remember to much of the specifics in my games of the 3 days.. its just blurred together into 3 days of noise, dirt, sweat, and heat. Had a really great time.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by DHBHitting » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:54 am

Well those comments are pretty much well known facts, arent they?

Sure they are, no secrets there or nothing that isnt well known. But believe it or not, there are some that think they can do it without much movement. I mean if you can throw consistently 65+ plus you can be a pure power pitcher at the next level and be effective. But all the great ones move the ball that is for sure.

But arent those 2 pitchers off that team going to UCLA and Cal??

Yep!

If so, I doubt that they just throw hard and straight.

So just because they are going to CAL and UCLA means they must have movement. Have you seen them pitch? I have, tons of times and while both are very, very good there is not a ton of movement there as of right now, Carda has more than Henderson in my opinion but Henderson does have a very nice change, but none the less I'm sure it will be a focus of their pitching coaches at the next level. And there are allot of Gold pitchers who have to learn movement once they get to the next level so it is not uncommon for a young pitcher to rely heavily on their speed in Gold ball. And not all D1 pitchers have movement either, they all try, but that is what seperates the Stacy Nelsons from the others, it boils down to who can really get it up there and make it move!

Those are normally the comments made by the parents of kids that will never dream of throwing even 60mph and are made out of envy.

First off, 60 is average in D1, second of all you prove my point for me which is if that is all you are throwing you definetly have to move the ball. Lastly I have no vested interest other than being a big time fan, and a coach, nothing else. Certainly no envy, look the kids are good, I made the comment that to be successful agaisnt the better teams and at the next level they will need to move the ball better, no biggie, they all have to do that, these two being no exception to that.

Also the same group that says speed doesnt matter. LOL, yeah, sure it doesnt. It isnt everything, but it sure is a big part of the pitching success equation.

Speed doesnt matter? Dont know what you mean exactly but I can tell you that no matter how hard you throw whether that be 65 or 68 MPH if you are throwing it up there hard and straight it will get hit, the talent level at the top levels of Gold and certainly at D1 have evolved to that point. Hardest throwing kid I have seen in person is the young lady from Lousiana Lafayette Ashley Brignac, I had the privledge of watching her throw and man she throws hard, and even she moves the ball. So no matter how hard you throw you have to move the ball or the top hitters will begin to time you even if you throw 68/70 as Brignac does for the Rajun Cajuns! Of course speed matters and you can over power hitters for a certain amount of time with just pure speed but the most effective pitchers are those that can not only bring the heat, but make it dance as well. Again, that is nothing new either, or not anything that people dont already know...:-)
DHBHitting

by Demonboy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Blind Squirrel wrote:
Iluvblue wrote:Is anyone really surprised Lady magic qualified? those of you who want to take away from their 16u title just dont get it. There was no doubt in my mind they would get it done. The kids that are studs in 12s are studs in 14s, and then they get to gold and they are the studs in Gold. Nothing changes.

Congrats to the Magic, nothing but my respect to them and their coaches. Starting young, staying together and getting it done every year.

Begs the question: Why aren't top college coaches trying to get early verbals from 12U "studs?" (Maybe I'm just ignorant and the aforementioned "studs" DID verbal years ago, along with their peers, if they have any.)

John

Because if Iluvblue was any further off base, there'd be a pick off throw.
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by lv2earat8 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:24 am

Demonboy wrote
"Because if Iluvblue was any further off base, there'd be a pick off throw."

Could you explain your point? Where is he/she off base?

The Magic did it there way and have been very successful. One of the biggest success stories is softball. Keeping players together and developing the kids to a point where most of them are signed or verbaled.
Any team can win or lose but I believe there will not be a team in Oklahoma who will like to have them in the other dugout.
Love them or hate them, but there is no doubt A JOB WELL DONE!
God is great,beer is good,people are CRAZY!
lv2earat8

by Blind Squirrel » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:00 am

lv2earat8 wrote:Demonboy wrote
"Because if Iluvblue was any further off base, there'd be a pick off throw."

Could you explain your point? Where is he/she off base?

The Magic did it there way and have been very successful. One of the biggest success stories is softball. Keeping players together and developing the kids to a point where most of them are signed or verbaled.
Any team can win or lose but I believe there will not be a team in Oklahoma who will like to have them in the other dugout.
Love them or hate them, but there is no doubt A JOB WELL DONE!

Did you not look at the bold text in the quote in his post?
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Iluvblue » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:44 am

Did you not look at the bold text in the quote in his post?

well please go back and copy the part you are speaking of. Then maybe you can explain the part where i was so off. The part bolded a few posts above is not even my words. So yes, please explain.
Iluvblue

by NumeroUno » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:52 am

Old Darter wrote:
DHBHitting wrote:Lady Magic - B1 // young very talented group - 2009 asa 16U champs

1st off don't slip on Coach Tommy and the Valley Breeze, a very scrappy bunch who will come to play.

My pick - Valley Breeze

[

Scrappy Bunch? How about a bunch of poor sports who after they lose a game decide to take out the other teams players? I call the dirty, not scrappy. And isn't this the same team Hanning has banned from his tournaments for just that kind of thing?

Oh, and Lady Magic won handily.

I have seen a few Valley Breeze practices this year and they are great. The girls are taught to play hard and they do. They condition like no other team that I have ever seen. The practices are long but they are efficient but it seems like they qualify for nationals year after year.
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

PreviousNext

Return to CA