Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

12U bracket, So Cal State

by PlayingfortheOCB » Thu May 21, 2009 12:19 pm

When is the 16u So Cal state draw? Have they closed field to additional teams?

What impact do you think that there will be at So Cal State with having a conflicting weekend with the JO Classic in Las Vegas the same weekend. With 12 berths to nationals coming from the State tournament, how do teams choose to attend the JO Classic in Vegas over the state qualifying tournament?

I heard that there was about 40 teams registered for 16s... is this correct? Do we have the teams listed?
PlayingfortheOCB

by NumeroUno » Thu May 21, 2009 12:22 pm

I know of a Minors Gold team years ago that once they new they knew they had qualified at state the played all their subs. And in return the softball gods granted them with a 1st place so cal state trophy. :D
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by hotwheels » Thu May 21, 2009 12:29 pm

PlayingfortheOCB wrote:When is the 16u So Cal state draw? Have they closed field to additional teams?

What impact do you think that there will be at So Cal State with having a conflicting weekend with the JO Classic in Las Vegas the same weekend. With 12 berths to nationals coming from the State tournament, how do teams choose to attend the JO Classic in Vegas over the state qualifying tournament?

I heard that there was about 40 teams registered for 16s... is this correct? Do we have the teams listed?

Welcome to the arrogance of ASA......They could care less......Unfortunately, many teams like mine had to choose...We chose the J.O......
hotwheels

by Sftbll4ever » Thu May 21, 2009 1:11 pm

We decided to do States. If we make the top 12, we get to go to the BIGGEST Showcase for 16u. If not, then they are all still young enough that they can go next year when they move up (if they all move up).
Sftbll4ever

by bucndranch » Thu May 21, 2009 3:16 pm

Sftbll4ever wrote:We decided to do States. If we make the top 12, we get to go to the BIGGEST Showcase for 16u. If not, then they are all still young enough that they can go next year when they move up (if they all move up).

Smart move! The largest gathering we ever saw from 16 - gold of college coaches was 16U Nationals (never had the opportunity to go to gold nationals and I heard there are a lot there too)! If you want college exposure you need to be at nationals. The JO is a good tournament, but you will not get what you can get out of Nationals in five JO's. Most girls only play one year of 16's anyway, so get the best start on exposure you can.
bucndranch

by hotwheels » Thu May 21, 2009 3:25 pm

bucndranch wrote:
Sftbll4ever wrote:We decided to do States. If we make the top 12, we get to go to the BIGGEST Showcase for 16u. If not, then they are all still young enough that they can go next year when they move up (if they all move up).

Smart move! The largest gathering we ever saw from 16 - gold of college coaches was 16U Nationals (never had the opportunity to go to gold nationals and I heard there are a lot there too)! If you want college exposure you need to be at nationals. The JO is a good tournament, but you will not get what you can get out of Nationals in five JO's. Most girls only play one year of 16's anyway, so get the best start on exposure you can.

:cry: :cry:
Good point!
hotwheels

by jmo » Fri May 22, 2009 7:54 am

bucndranch wrote:

18 Gold Nationals is not for recruiting. The coaches are usually there just to baby-sit their recruits and to watch their returning college players. Not saying those that are there are not watching unsigned kids, but that is not their main focus. Maybe 30-40 colleges.

Next to Boulder/Aurora Independence Day showcases, 16U ASA Nationals is the next biggest showcase for young players. Of course you better be in the lineup and it also has a lot to do as to who you are playing. In my personal experience, we faced Desert Thunder in our 2nd pool play game and over 70 colleges showed up to watch Kenzie Fowler hit the gun at 68 consistently. We ended up losing 3-2 but it was a very good game to watch and many of our players were scouted. We, unfortunately, ended having to face Fowler again in the third round of elimination - a tough 1-0 loss - knocking us into the losers bracket, as over 70 coaches were lined up again around the backstop and along the foul lines.
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to CA