Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Softball in San Diego

by MrSanDiego » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:10 pm

So, we have a couple of "organizations" here in San Diego that are running a "Business" of softball. The coaches are paid, they have no kids on the team, and it is expensive, relatively speaking, to play.

Now, I know that the old school OC Programs are "businesses" but the fact that they actually get D1 type players and actually put them in D1 Programs, so be it.

Am I wrong or has the emphasis gone from winning to $? Do these orgs/teams do everything they can to get their teams to Nationals? Or do they go through the motions to keep the $ coming in?

If your a parent on a team like this, I'd love to hear your $.02.

(Clue: these "organizations" are not Powersurge, Renegades, TNL, 3rd Degree, Breakers or any other random parent coached team).
MrSanDiego

by artomatic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:56 pm

hhhmmm. I saw something on here or the other site regarding a new org.
I think it was San Diego. What I thought was strange is they were posting for friendlies at the same time they were posting for players for their new teams....
They were also requiring prepayments for the friendlies.

So...basically asking teams to pre-pay (by check) for friendlies, hosted by teams that don't exist yet...
Maybe I'm wrong, but shouldn't you get your team together first, THEN host friendlies?

It reminded me of the old Microsoft biographical movie "pirates of silicon valley".
In the movie, Bill Gates and his gang sold an operating system to IBM, before they even had the system. After they sold it, they took the money from the sale, and had to find an actual operating system, and buy it...

Oh, and the post for the new teams said "the coaches are paid, so they know what they are doing", or some statement to that effect...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by legacycoach » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:20 pm

FYI: SD Legacy 12u does not pay their coaches or run it as business.
legacycoach

by 3 blind mice » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:32 pm

I think it is obvious who this is referring to...ACADEMY. the only friendly that in all my years I have ever heard of charging up front...and not even providing the services advertised.
3 blind mice

by bunt-n-run » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:42 pm

We played the Academy team down in a Menifee tourney...are you sure they use paid Coaches?

BNR
bunt-n-run

by 3 blind mice » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:49 pm

thats what their own info states...you sound surprised, like the caliber of coaches wasn't up to par?
3 blind mice

by bunt-n-run » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:58 pm

First let me say the Academy parents and players seemed very nice and also seemed to be having fun, and I'm not trying to be mean here, but the caliber of play sure didn't match a "paid coaches" type of team.

BNR
bunt-n-run

by NumeroUno » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:00 pm

What age group
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by bucndranch » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:01 pm

3 blind mice wrote:I think it is obvious who this is referring to...ACADEMY. the only friendly that in all my years I have ever heard of charging up front...and not even providing the services advertised.

Played there recently. I did not have a problem pre paying, but not getting what was advertised is a pisser! Only one ump, fields as hard as concrete, a snack bar that had packaged oreo cookies in zip lock baggies for breakfast, hamburger buns ran out after first 6 burgers at 11 am! Only hot dogs the rest of the day! Thank god for McDonalds down the street or my kids would have starved (I do go to friendlies prepared to support). One of the first times I really welcomed McDonalds. Games were $50.00 each and the ump admitted he was paid $45.00, and again only one! NEVER AGAIN!!!! SORRY!!!!
bucndranch

by artomatic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:06 pm

bunt-n-run wrote:First let me say the Academy parents and players seemed very nice and also seemed to be having fun, and I'm not trying to be mean here, but the caliber of play sure didn't match a "paid coaches" type of team.

BNR

I really was seriously puzzled by the ads I saw that I referred to above. This post just reminded me about them...I wasn't saying anything about the families either, i'm sure they are people that just want their kids to play....but it's getting to where you need a "better business bureau" type book for travel...

so....a little off-topic, but I can think of a couple organizations that would be on the "do not enter" list...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to CA