Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

CA

Update 12 Rankings, Bracketologist?

by Comets16 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:12 am

Would love to hear your spin on this weekends games after HB and maybe a new top 10? I assume may have afew movers? I appreciate what you do and your spin on things.
Comets16

by AM Softball » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:00 pm

Comets16 wrote:Would love to hear your spin on this weekends games after HB and maybe a new top 10? I assume may have afew movers? I appreciate what you do and your spin on things.

It's like free scouting all the way in Alabama! :) :mrgreen:
AM Softball

by bracketologist » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:09 pm

Comets 16u

The good news for you. Any of the Top three Texas teams in 2008 or the three Ohio teams in 2007 would be favorites at ASA Nationals against this years SoCal 12u teams!

What's happened? We have stated to play softball like baseball..... the long ball makes up for a poor defensive! So if you have three good pitchers and a solid defense you will be very very competitive. However, I will promise you that in 2010 we will be very strong - similar to 2007!

Here's the free scouting report!

I think I did a good job handicapping the 12u field at TCS Huntington Beach Classic

I said -

The Final 8 should be............ if they play!

So. Cal Diamonds
OC Wildcats 96
Corona Xpress
Corona Angels – K
Valley Tribe
SD Legacy
OC Batbuster 96
CA Rebels

The Final 8 were

Oc Wildcats 96
Corona Express
Corona Angels – K
Valley Tribe
OC Batbuster 96
SD Legacy
--- didn’t get –
American Athletics P
Nemesis

However I did state that Pool A was the hardest – which contained three of the final eight Wildcats, Nemesis, AA-P!

What did I learn?

1. The 12u poll is pretty accurate … if you are scouting from out of state as all of the final eight team were already ranked teams (except. SD Legacy – which benefited from the bracket)

2. This isn’t 2008, 2007, or 2006 – there is not a super So. Cal team that can play bad and still beat another top 12 team! In fact I do not believe we have a team that is capable of beating any of the teams ranked 11-20 and then beating three top ten teams in back to back to back games.

3. The 2007 teams play better overall team defense than the 1996 12u teams. The younger teams still are not as arm strong, don’t pick things up quickly or make spectacular plays but overall – if you take the fielding percentages of the top 96 team’s infield and the top 1997 teams have the same or better fielding percentage.

4. The top teams are all hiding bats that are a serious defensive liability! The coaches did not pay attention to what wins 12u nationals for So.CA every year … and that is defense not offense. The CA95/OC Impact and Victory/Lakewood, Synergy 93 all won the key 2-1, 1-0, etc. games To put it frankly, if any of the top ten teams 1 and 2 pitchers had the Corona Angels 95 defense they would win state! I bet if you look on the other site today … you will see 5-6 teams looking for more bats and not one looking for a SS or 2nd, and a softball 3rd stud. In softball you can’t hide a great bat at 3rd base… to win ASA Nationals you need a stud at 3rd – one that’s willing and able to play up close and take away the short game, has a accurate arm to make a catchable throw to 1st 95% of the time and is aggressive as hack to take medium to slow rollers headed to SS. I could go on and on but you get the point. Defense is way down, offensive is up and pitching is even with 1995. Sorry but a great offensive may help you beat the Firecrackers, Powersurge etc. in one game, but the defensive liability will get you killed against the other teams ranked 11-20.

5. Here is how I group the teams:

Will qualify with talent to win Nationals: without help!
Firecrackers – two good pitchers, above average offensive … not top team defense. Hiding bats!
CA Rebels – Most consistent offensive – defensive hiding bats!
Corona Angels Knighten – best defense day in and day out – that’s not saying much with the 1996s
San Diego Power Surge – Speed & Power … hiding bats!

Will qualify but will need a good bracket or help to win!
O.C. Batbusters Marquez
So Cal Jynx –
O.C. Wildcats 96

2007 Teams that if they improve like a normal elite younger team can challenge
OC Batbusters – Snow 97
Corona Angels Lockman (mostly 97)

Should qualify and be dangerous – will send some of the above teams to the losers bracket or home in the elimination bracket.

AA Palomino 97
BombSquad 96
Valley Tribe 96/97
Corona Xpress
Cal Thunder

Will battle to qualify – can beat anyone except the top 4 teams

Irving Sting
Raiders
Team Smith 96 –
So Cal Crunch
No Fear 96
OC Batburster – Ray
Nemesis 96

I’ll break down my new top 20 in the 12u poll section, and will compile the new top 12u poll – after getting feedback from coaches and pollsters.
bracketologist

by d-fense » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:04 pm

"The coaches did not pay attention to what wins 12u nationals for So.CA every year … and that is defense not offense."

Listen up coaches!! Take note!
d-fense

by BigFan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:28 pm

I think I did a good job handicapping the 12u field at TCS Huntington Beach Classic

The Final 8 were

Oc Wildcats 96
Corona Express
Corona Angels – K
Valley Tribe
OC Batbuster 96
SD Legacy
--- didn’t get –
American Athletics P
Nemesis

However I did state that Pool A was the hardest – which contained three of the final eight Wildcats, Nemesis, AA-P!

Here is how I group the teams:

Firecrackers – two good pitchers, above average offensive … not top team defense. Hiding bats!
Corona Angels Knighten – best defense day in and day out – that’s not saying much with the 1996s

O.C. Batbusters Marquez
So Cal Jynx –
O.C. Wildcats 96

OC Batbusters – Snow 97

Should qualify and be dangerous – will send some of the above teams to the losers bracket or home in the elimination bracket.

AA Palomino 97
BombSquad 96
Valley Tribe 96/97
Corona Xpress
Cal Thunder

Irving Sting
Raiders
Team Smith 96 –
So Cal Crunch
No Fear 96
OC Batburster – Ray
Nemesis 96

I’ll break down my new top 20 in the 12u poll section, and will compile the new top 12u poll – after getting feedback from coaches and pollsters.

I think you did a great job handicapping the teams. My take on it all:

American Athletics - P - They were not even on my radar. They are a great team with solid pitching. The game I watched they played well with consistent hitting. They seem well coached.

OC Wildcats 96 - Looks like they picked up a new pitcher. Don't know where she came from but she pretty solid. The game I saw she threw close to a perfect game. Anyone know what team she came from?

O.C. Batbusters Marquez - Have to strongly disagree here. They are a quality team with great players. He always finds a way to get it done. Think they will qualify without needing much help.

Anyway, everyone just coming off a long break. Time will tell!!!
BigFan

by bracketologist » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:17 pm

BigFan wrote:

The Final 8 were

Oc Wildcats 96
Corona Express
Corona Angels – K
Valley Tribe
OC Batbuster 96
SD Legacy
--- didn’t get –
American Athletics P
Nemesis

Here is how I group the teams:

O.C. Batbusters Marquez
So Cal Jynx –
O.C. Wildcats 96

OC Batbusters – Snow 97

AA Palomino 97
BombSquad 96
Valley Tribe 96/97
Corona Xpress
Cal Thunder

Irving Sting
Raiders
Team Smith 96 –
So Cal Crunch
No Fear 96
OC Batburster – Ray
Nemesis 96

I think you did a great job handicapping the teams. My take on it all:

American Athletics - P - They were not even on my radar. They are a great team with solid pitching. The game I watched they played well with consistent hitting. They seem well coached.

OC Wildcats 96 - Looks like they picked up a new pitcher. Don't know where she came from but she pretty solid. The game I saw she threw close to a perfect game. Anyone know what team she came from?

O.C. Batbusters Marquez - Have to strongly disagree here. They are a quality team with great players. He always finds a way to get it done. Think they will qualify without needing much help.

Anyway, everyone just coming off a long break. Time will tell!!!

BIG FAN

To Clarify - Will qualify but will need a good bracket or help to win!

To win = winning ASA Nationals for the below three teams! Not need a good bracket or help to qualify. Sorry I was it work...

O.C. Batbusters Marquez
So Cal Jynx –
O.C. Wildcats 96
bracketologist

by Comets16 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:52 pm

Bracketologist- Is the Man or Woman!!!! Thanks for taking the time and putting it all out there.

We played a few of these 12U teams, then 10U (Victory, CA Angels -knighten, CA Rebels) at 2007 Nationals (Didn't lose to any of them), In 2008 Nationals beat Minors Gold (Elim), barely lost to Nemesis Elite in pool play. Watched many of the teams from 2007 & 2008 (CA Angels -95, Anderson Heat, American Athletics & Grappettes) too.. While I bask in the glory of previous years :D it has been fun meeting coaches and knowing just a little about the teams you rank...

So all the way in Alabama your brackets, scouting is much appreciated. I wish I was rich I could fly out to watch HB, FF, Toys Tots, but will stick to good ole trusty Heybucket for now...

"Yes, I know this isn't 2007 or 2008 anymore Dorothy and things and teams change players, coaches, etc, blah, blah..."Heybucket get's me through the winter months and the Dark period in the south and Bracketologist is much appreciated!

Can't wait to see all of these team in Illinois, in 2009!!!!! It isn't always about the destination but the journey to get there!!!!
Comets16

by CharlieHough » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:47 pm

On a side note..........anyone know the real identity of Bracketologist?
Attachments
Bracketologist.jpg
Bracketologist.jpg (48.23 KiB) Viewed 5583 times
I'm gonna take this right foot, and I'm gonna whop you on that side of your face...and you wanna know something? There's not a damn thing you're gonna be able to do about it!

Billy Jack...1971
CharlieHough

by Love2Coach » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Hello Heybucketers, I dont usually write much on The Bucket cuz my spelling sucks but here is my two cents.....I read over and over about the best pitcher, the big bats, so forth and so on, and dont get me wrong this realy help, but what we overlook most of the time is the long term effect on these YOUNG girls based on the coaching ability. Time and time I have seen great naturally talented players on decent teams but moderate coaching, getting by on their natural ability and not really getting fundementaly better, I have seen alot of that in 12's. So as you put together information and compile stats everyone seems to come up with predictions that will be short lived in the big scheme of most of these ball players based on weekend scores, when we should look further into what realy generates a good team, Disipline, Passion, Respect and the True Love of the game is what makes good players and GREAT teams.

Well anyways Im a much better speaker than a writer. But I guess what Im trying to say over the last 20 plus seasons coaching I first try to be the best coach that I can be if I can expect to have great ball players, and yes I will and have made mistakes but I will learn from them as we tell our girls that they will learn from theirs. We will be good by the end of the season, we will be better in the comming years, but hopefully we will all be GREAT in the real game that most of us call LIFE...and if we can pick up a couple of great softball games along the way, we'll take it.

Coach Jess (Sorry for the grammer)
Love2Coach
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:22 pm

Nice Jesse :D
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

Next

Return to CA