Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

Checking bats

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by MTR » Fri May 29, 2009 3:25 pm

anonlooker wrote:Since when does everyone around here pass the buck?? :lol:

Because if someone answered the question in a positive manner, they would be lambasted and being told how wrong they are.
MTR

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri May 29, 2009 3:33 pm

MTR wrote:

Because if someone answered the question in a positive manner, they would be lambasted and being told how wrong they are.

On my road trip this week I passed several bucks ... and some does ... I posted that in The Pub under the title " Are NY Deer Smarter that PA Deer " ... I'm sorry, what was the question ?
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Joe » Fri May 29, 2009 3:36 pm

MTR wrote:

...don't look at me... :arrow:
Joe

by Skarp » Fri May 29, 2009 3:47 pm

MTR wrote:

Hell, if I thought I would get lambasted I would be posting that kind of stuff all the time.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Fri May 29, 2009 4:27 pm

KekambuS wrote:Does every Ump know how to check for altered bats? Do you have to take a class? The reason im asking is i think some Ump's have no idea what to look for and there taking bats just to make it seem like they no what there doing. You cant all of a sudden become a bat Guru. Help me Help you.

I have heard of umps taking a white piece of paper putting the paper in their hand putting the bat inside the paper and wrapping the paper around the bat. They spin the bat and they say if they feel lumps the bat has been rolled....BS Their is no way to tell unless a bat gets ex rayed or density tested. My friend bought a brand new bat at Sport Chalet, went to a high school tourney umpire Barney Fife tested the bat and took it, it had been out of the wrapper for 4 hours. I talked to a few umps last week about this and they said that they can tell if a bat had been rolled with paper, I just laugh because their is no way. All composite bats get a little lumpy after you hit them for a while.
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri May 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Last night ... ASA SP game ... a player comes up and asks "is my bat legal, I just bought it"? ... hhhmmm ? ... Since I didn't have kekambuwhoa to ask I just canned the bat ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Vagrant99 » Fri May 29, 2009 5:34 pm

:o a bunny with a pancake on his head that is funny
Vagrant99

by MTR » Fri May 29, 2009 7:31 pm

NumeroUno wrote:
I have heard of umps taking a white piece of paper putting the paper in their hand putting the bat inside the paper and wrapping the paper around the bat. They spin the bat and they say if they feel lumps the bat has been rolled....BS Their is no way to tell unless a bat gets ex rayed or density tested. My friend bought a brand new bat at Sport Chalet, went to a high school tourney umpire Barney Fife tested the bat and took it, it had been out of the wrapper for 4 hours. I talked to a few umps last week about this and they said that they can tell if a bat had been rolled with paper, I just laugh because their is no way. All composite bats get a little lumpy after you hit them for a while.

Have you had someone demonstrate and show you how to and for what to check?

Last summer, I would have agreed with you. And then I attended a break-out session with identical bats, one rolled, one not. Not only was the test demonstrated, but had the opportunity to work with it. There is a very distinct and consistant feeling of ridges of the rolled bat.

My commissioner doubted this method also, so I told him to secure a rolled bat and I would demonstrate. So he went out and got one. We got a couple more bats and I showed him how it is done. He tested each bat and agreed that you could tell the difference. We then grabbed a couple team managers and had them run through the same process. They were stunned as you would be if someone should you what to do and had the appropriate bats so you could compare and know what you were feeling.

And we are not talking about "lumps". We are talking about equidistant ridges the entire circumference of the bat. The key is being able to distinguish the feeling of the decals and decorative designs from the ridges.

You can chose to not believe it, but don't argue when someone who does know what they are doing grabs a bat because some player's daddy thought his DD needed a little extra to stay competitive and get that almighty no-so-free ride.
MTR

by Vagrant99 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:56 pm

ok ok ok with that being said, how effective is the rolled bat vs the factory bat? Is the difference that extreme and worth the risk of looking stupid when your caught?
Vagrant99

by NumeroUno » Fri May 29, 2009 8:21 pm

I would like to see a test like that, I saw bats that were rolled, new and broken in by use and I could not tell a diffence in the riges. Very interesting and thanks for the input.
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

PreviousNext

Return to The Umpire Corner