Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

The Cost of Travel Ball…a classic....re-visited

What's on your mind?

by CharlieHough » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 pm

The Cost of Travel Ball…

It was beautiful Sunday morning in late August, perfect for a road trip to Austin, the land of the Horns of the Long ones. The car was loaded to the fullest…gassed up, tires checked, ready to roll. You see, today was the day we would deliver DD #1 to her choice of college.

The ride down was uneventful, making small talk about college plans, meeting new people, the do’s and the don’ts of college life…all about sex, drugs and rock n roll…and all that would be thrust upon her on day one. Upon arrival, the goal was to get in, unload, and get out…hugs and kisses, and “we’ll see you soon”. The ride home was just as eventful albeit a little quieter.

That night getting ready for bed it hits you. A part of your family for the last 18 years isn’t with you anymore. Tossing and turning the first night…can’t sleep. Finally, I get up about 2:00am and go upstairs to the pig sty that was once my first daughter’s bedroom. It’s empty…and so am I. Standing at the door way… the tears start to fall. On the bookshelf are all the trophies from 4 years of age to present…including the one from 6U t-ball, where she came off the field, out of the dugout to give her mom and dad a hug following her first home run (really a hit and three errors – but we kept that to ourselves). Then there’s the helmet – airbrushed with her name on it from the Fort Collins, Colorado USSSA World Series. A letter jacket with all the patches is in the closet. Many pictures, stuff on the wall, memories……need I say more? Many tears…sitting in that room alone….very alone.

3:30am - still up looking through the ‘junk’ in DD #1’s room thinking about and judging my performance as a father…after all, I did plenty of that (judging her) as she was growing up and looking back wishing I had held my tongue more and found a way to talk about the positives and less about the negatives. Reminds of the many softball games where DD would do something well on the field and then scan the bleachers for me, seeking approval and that nod from me, that yes… that was indeed, a job well done. Then there were other times when, after a mistake on the field, she wouldn’t dare look into the stands – because she knew what was waiting…a dirty look from dad. At 4:00am that first night, I only wished I could take those back... that, and all the long, meaningless lectures on the ride home about what it would take to get to the ‘next level’.

5:00am – got to get ready for work in 2 hours, so decide to go back to bed…spending the next two hours waiting with anticipation so I can call her before her first day of classes and tell her how much I love her and miss her. More tears….

A year and half later, DD #1 says there are no regrets. Adjusting well to college life, making good grades, good friends and staying out of trouble…all is well. Also happy to report that dad is doing much better too!

When you ask the question… what is the cost of travel ball? The answer is…

...…priceless.
I'm gonna take this right foot, and I'm gonna whop you on that side of your face...and you wanna know something? There's not a damn thing you're gonna be able to do about it!

Billy Jack...1971
CharlieHough

by NumeroUno » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:34 pm

re-visited and still great, thanks :D
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by 3'sDad » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:37 pm

I second that....THANKS !!
3'sDad

by jefe » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:41 pm

Nice reading buddy. Great job all the way around.
jefe

by DonnieS » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Living the beginning of your story now, same tears, same trophies, same regrets - though I was coach and hammered her much harder than anyone else, including her sister. She has been gone 2 1/2 weeks - her words to me are 'Dad, school is confusing, I dont know, but every thing is fine once I get on the field. There I am at home, dad.'

So if I understand her correctly - its been hard to adjust to being away from home, to adjust to college versus high school, but that softball is helping her cope. So Charlie , yea, priceless, I have to agree.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CharlieHough » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:03 pm

Gentlemen,

To Clarify....not my DD. Just an heartfelt story I pulled off the bucket about a year ago.

Priceless indeed
I'm gonna take this right foot, and I'm gonna whop you on that side of your face...and you wanna know something? There's not a damn thing you're gonna be able to do about it!

Billy Jack...1971
CharlieHough

by pbj2000 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:21 am

Excellent Story! Man I dread that day but look forward to it all in the same sentence. Good thing i've got another 9 years before that happens.
Peanut Butter and Jelly baby
pbj2000

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:28 am

DonnieS wrote:Living the beginning of your story now, same tears, same trophies, same regrets - though I was coach and hammered her much harder than anyone else, including her sister. She has been gone 2 1/2 weeks - her words to me are 'Dad, school is confusing, I dont know, but every thing is fine once I get on the field. There I am at home, dad.'

So if I understand her correctly - its been hard to adjust to being away from home, to adjust to college versus high school, but that softball is helping her cope. So Charlie , yea, priceless, I have to agree.

Same here D-man ... but as you know, mine is in her 2nd year at a new school ... we'll see how that plays out ... but her Freshman year when she was getting hammered with school work and getting no sleep ... I suggested that perhaps she should give up softball ... and her reply was " No way ... It is the ONLY thing keeping me sane "

Edit : I believe that the OP here was by Joe ( of all people )
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

by Joe » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:56 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:[Edit : I believe that the OP here was by Joe ( of all people )
"

Yes, Joe did it..."of all people"?

Who said I was a "people"?
Joe

by dittoz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:07 am

I'm reading this with tears in my eyes right now and we just started 9th grade...
Can't imagine what it'll be like 4 years from now!!

Good stuff Joe !
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions