Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Softball Performance

What's on your mind?

by NumeroUno » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:27 am

I am looking for an article about stretching that I saw a while back. It talked about why or why not you should stretch before you play. Does anyone have a copy of this that you can send?
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by artomatic » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:16 am

Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:19 am

Thanks ArtO
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Sam » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:15 pm

NumeroUno wrote:Thanks ArtO

By the way, NU, I tried it....didn't work. Lost my SS to a knee injury in our second game of the day.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softballperformance » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:04 am

Sam,

You can't conclude it doesn't work because of a knee injury. As far as I know, knee injuries are very very very prevalent in sports, especially for women (6x more frequent) because of something call the Q-angle.

Their hips being wider than men because of anatomy for carrying baby, the head of the leg bone in the hip is not right above the knee but outside. That means that this creates additional tension and studies have shown that women get on average 6x more ACL or other knee injuries than men do.

In addition to the Q-Angle, what would make them more prone to such injuries are also weak stabilizing muscles, big impact, quick shift or change of direction or a knee that is not ready, etc..

Dynamic warm-ups have actually helped decrease slightly the incidence of knee injuries in women's sports because it allows the knee to be better prepared. Now, it will not prevent them of happening totally.

Dynamic warm-ups are now used by all elite teams (US National Team and other national team and most D1 program) and also in just about all other sports. Talk to any strength coach (not your local personal trainer that only teaches people how to lose weight) but someone who deals with athletes and they will tell you the same thing.

Good luck with your athlete. Injuries are too bad.
softballperformance

by MTR » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:13 am

softballperformance wrote:Sam,

You can't conclude it doesn't work because of a knee injury. As far as I know, knee injuries are very very very prevalent in sports, especially for women (6x more frequent) because of something call the Q-angle.

Their hips being wider than men because of anatomy for carrying baby, the head of the leg bone in the hip is not right above the knee but outside. That means that this creates additional tension and studies have shown that women get on average 6x more ACL or other knee injuries than men do.

My orthopaedic surgeon and physical therapist refer to it as the "V" angle.

Don't look now, but this is another reason why there is a difference between males and females wearing certain types of footwear during an intense athletic activity.
MTR

by wadeintothem » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:31 am

MTR wrote:

My orthopaedic surgeon and physical therapist refer to it as the "V" angle.

Don't look now, but this is another reason why there is a difference between males and females wearing certain types of footwear during an intense athletic activity.

Ruh - Roh..

:o
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by watcher » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:32 pm

In addition to the Q-Angle, what would make them more prone to such injuries are also weak stabilizing muscles, big impact, quick shift or change of direction or a knee that is not ready, etc..

Dynamic warm-ups have actually helped decrease slightly the incidence of knee injuries in women's sports because it allows the knee to be better prepared. Now, it will not prevent them of happening totally.

Dynamic warm-ups are now used by all elite teams (US National Team and other national team and most D1 program) and also in just about all other sports. Talk to any strength coach (not your local personal trainer that only teaches people how to lose weight) but someone who deals with athletes and they will tell you the same thing.

This is pretty much the same speach given to myself & wife by My DD's trainer, He does "not" want DD wearing spikes behind the plate for HS. This trainer works with both pro softball & baseball players And I am thinking (hoping) he knows what he is talking about.
watcher

by wadeintothem » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:48 pm

watcher wrote:

This is pretty much the same speach given to myself & wife by My DD's trainer, He does "not" want DD wearing spikes behind the plate for HS. This trainer works with both pro softball & baseball players And I am thinking (hoping) he knows what he is talking about.

As one who has worked plenty of mens and baseball.. trust me, that catcher will be wearing spikes... maybe not her feet...
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Sam » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Heres the deal....I've been coaching for 30 years and done static and dynamic warm-ups in tandem. I read your article regarding the uselessness of the static stretching and try just the dynamic warmups....and for the first time in 30 years of coaching, I have a kid injure her knee...waiting for the MRI....looks like a strained ligament at a minimum....collision on the basepath with secondbaseman.

For me...I'm going back to incorporating the static exercises because I will never know if my decision to remove them contributed to this kid's injury. Right, wrong, or indifferent, its the way I feel about it. I'm not saying that you are wrong, only that I don't feel it worked for me or my team.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions