Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Ranking 101 by Bracketologist

What's on your mind?

by PDad » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:11 am

Old timers on the 'Bucket remember Bracketologist's rankings. The real genius was in his grading, so I'm posting his scheme for the benefit of the newer members. You can substitute PGF for ASA if you like.

The important component is the Teams grade (A, B+ & B) and not their ranking. At this point rankings and grades are projections for Spring. However, in 12u the teams identified as A in fall – were still A’s in spring and in 2007, 2008 & 2009 the championship game at nationals came down to the top 2 teams in the poll.

A’s – Have the ability to win three consecutive games against other A or B+ rated teams at a major tournament (i.e., State, Nationals, Fresno etc). A’s are playing for the big prize “ASA Nationals”. In 2008-2009 12u PowerSurge 96, Jynx 96 and Firecrackers 96, were identified as A (even though Jynx never did beat PS96). To be ranked as a solid A Team, a team must have the ability to beat all of the other A Teams - as demonstrated by wins in tournament bracket play and not friendlies. Not one but all!

B+ Teams – Have the ability to win the big prize at ASA Nationals if a few things break their way (i.e., don’t have to beat two A teams in consecutive games). B+ teams will beat A teams in tournaments, they just lack the ability to beat all of the A teams! In 2008-2009 think California Rebels, OC Batbusters M, Corona Angles 96 and OC Wildcat 96. Example: In 2006-07 TNL could beat anyone but they could not beat Victory-Campbell, Corona Angles 94 and Lakewood Ladies in back to back games. To be ranked a B+ team, a team must have the ability to beat all of the other B+ teams.

B Teams – Can only win ASA Nationals if they get hot and they get lucky (i.e., a great draw)! They can beat A teams in friendlies but struggle beating them in tournaments. B teams can and will eliminate B+ Teams but they would be hard press to win a tournament that requires them to beat three B+ Teams in a row! In 2008-2009 think Bomb Squad 96 and Revenge 96, both very good teams.

C+ Teams – The goal is to qualify for ASA Nationals. These are usually top 10-20 teams that will play the B+ teams closely and beat B Teams in significant tournaments. Typically the best first year 12u teams perform at this level.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:58 pm

He did a great job, miss him or her. I never really found out who it was. 10 people told me who it was and 10 people had 10 different answers
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by fastpitchdad05 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:32 pm

Long live Brackey!
fastpitchdad05
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dugoutdirt » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:00 pm

Good ole Brackey. I miss those posts! I don't post much anymore although I still have two active players, but those posts sure did get me fired up :)
Dugoutdirt
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:51 pm

"Truth be told, I am Brackey"
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by exD1dad » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:53 pm

Pdad I was thinking about Bracky after your comment on the CIF poll :D & how dead spot on he was. for those who weren't here this guy knew scores from friendlies & tourneys & for 3 or 4 years when my DD went from 12U & up Bracky was dead spot on as we were in it.

A faded HB legend like Skarp, only different, gone but remembered with a smile
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Safebyahare » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Always thought his rankings were for the most part spot on.
Also had the impression that he had a younger dd, because his 14 seemed nailed.
Even when he did 16s, it was impressive how accurate he was.

Where or what became of him? Did he even have a dd?
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by USCpride » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:01 pm

He sounds like someone that use to post on the Ultimate College Softball site. This was when my older daughter was playing in college maybe 10 years back.

He knew everything that was going on down to the dirt in the locker rooms. His post were so insightful. I can't think of his username but I wonder if it could be the same person? He often, did the rankings for college, high school and travel and was usually right. He really the loved the game.
USCpride
Premium Member
Premium Member

by cent » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:07 pm

I know who Brackey is but I also know who Superman is. Can't reveal who they are as it would be against all we believe in. Brackey was the best. It sure created great reading and made for some great games on the dirt trying to prove who your team was.
cent
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Dugoutdirt » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:30 pm

He just had such a great, unbiased breakdown of the teams and really put a lot of thought into his analysis. People couldn't wait for those damn polls to come out. Hell, the man (woman?) even had his own Triple Crown invite-only tournament at one point! I can't believe no one knew who he was. :shock:
Dugoutdirt
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions