Tony Rico gets some ink!!!

What's on your mind?

by NumeroUno » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:39 pm

Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by artomatic » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:54 pm

great article.
both my daughters have gone to him for about 3 or 4 years.
the guy does wonders for the girls regarding the mental side of softball and life...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by artomatic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:04 am

the story is on the front page of the OC Register today.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Demonboy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:53 am

"He makes a new connection to each player, asking what she did last weekend and whether she enjoyed herself before saying, "Show me you can hit five ground balls.""

WTF? I hope either that was taken out of context or he was talking to a slapper. :shock:
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by artomatic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:58 am

Demonboy wrote:"He makes a new connection to each player, asking what she did last weekend and whether she enjoyed herself before saying, "Show me you can hit five ground balls.""

WTF? I hope either that was taken out of context or he was talking to a slapper. :shock:

He teaches the girls to make adjustments. If they pop up a ball, he wants the next one on the ground. if they hit a grounder to the left side, he wants the next one to be a line drive to the right side. he works the girls on hitting grounders to the right side with runner on 3rd, less than 2 outs, etc...
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Demonboy » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:03 am

artomatic wrote:
Demonboy wrote:"He makes a new connection to each player, asking what she did last weekend and whether she enjoyed herself before saying, "Show me you can hit five ground balls.""

He teaches the girls to make adjustments. If they pop up a ball, he wants the next one on the ground. if they hit a grounder to the left side, he wants the next one to be a line drive to the right side. he works the girls on hitting grounders to the right side with runner on 3rd, less than 2 outs, etc...

Someone should remind him that Wendy Trott's pop up won him the national title last year!
"I'm the walkin dude, I can see all the world!
Twist your minds with fear, Im the man with the power.
Among the living, follow me or die!"

"Among The Living" (based on Randall Flagg)
- Anthrax
Demonboy

by artomatic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:08 am

Demonboy wrote:
artomatic wrote:

Someone should remind him that Wendy Trott's pop up won him the national title last year!

Maybe she had hit a grounder the at bat before... :mrgreen:
that was a crazy inning wasnt it? funny how a game can come down to something like that time and time again...
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sftbll4ever » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:23 am

Demonboy wrote:
artomatic wrote:

Watched her hit 2 pop ups over the fence last year against Los Al. One almost landed in someones back yard. She will be in town next month playin' some ball, we will be there with our HS team to cheer her on.
Sftbll4ever

by Rondog » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:08 pm

Well the ZEN of hitting is all well and good if you have a fundamentally competent hitter, but if the batter has serious swing issues then all that mumbo jumbo is just a waste of money. I have a Rico student on my team that has consistently carried the lowest BAVE on my team. When I took her into the cage to look at her she had such a screwed up grip (left thumb pointing straight upward into the palm of the right hand kinda like a golf grip but worse) that she could never be a successful hitter in the 16/18 divisions. When I asked her what Mr. Rico said about that she replied, " Oh Tony doesn't make corrections, he relies on me to do that. He wants me to think for myself." Well let me tell you I think this is robbery pure and simple. With the kind of girls that are playing on the Firecrackers a little Zen is probably a good thing. But for a kid who has never been taught to do it RIGHT from the start this approach isn't going to help. If Tony Rico is such a great coach then why wouldn't he take a few minutes to correct this obvious flaw? Just my humble opinion....
Rondog

by cazzy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:31 pm

Rondog wrote:Well the ZEN of hitting is all well and good if you have a fundamentally competent hitter, but if the batter has serious swing issues then all that mumbo jumbo is just a waste of money. I have a Rico student on my team that has consistently carried the lowest BAVE on my team. When I took her into the cage to look at her she had such a screwed up grip (left thumb pointing straight upward into the palm of the right hand kinda like a golf grip but worse) that she could never be a successful hitter in the 16/18 divisions. When I asked her what Mr. Rico said about that she replied, " Oh Tony doesn't make corrections, he relies on me to do that. He wants me to think for myself." Well let me tell you I think this is robbery pure and simple. With the kind of girls that are playing on the Firecrackers a little Zen is probably a good thing. But for a kid who has never been taught to do it RIGHT from the start this approach isn't going to help. If Tony Rico is such a great coach then why wouldn't he take a few minutes to correct this obvious flaw? Just my humble opinion....

Wow for a guy that just joined a couple hours ago nice "humble opinion" lame.
"Nothing will work unless you do." John Wooden
cazzy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions