Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

The Best Christmas Ever - No more "Ba Humbug"

What's on your mind?

by myallstarz » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:09 am

One week ago today, I posted a thread in the (Calif) Regional News (formerly Top 10) discussion panel (the post was "AA Toys 4 Tots - Ba Humbug"). At the time I was eager to get the word out about my DD's stolen bat bag. During the tournament, some "low-life" took advantage of an opportunity to steal my 12 year old daughters bat bag and all its contents, over $1,000.00 of softball equipment (two bats, two gloves, cleats, prescription goggles, etc...). More than the softball equipment, this loser had taken something far more valuable, her faith in the goodness of people. If someone could steal a bat bag from a 12 year old girl during a Toys 4 Tots tournament, in her mind (no matter what I said), there was not much hope for trusting and believing in how good people could be.

Since that post, she has been overwhelmed with well wishers and support. The HeyBucket softball community really stepped up in a wonderful way. People started offering money to replace the stolen equipment, some offered bats, gloves, cleats, etc.. Notorious Sports in Placentia agreed to donate a new Anderson bat. A gentleman from Chino offered a new glove. People responded from Mississippi, from Arizona, from Canada, from Orange County, from San Diego County, from Los Angeles County, From Riverside County, from everywhere. Softball moms and dads responded, softball girls responded, friends and relatives of softball girls responded, sisters and brothers of softball girls responded, friends of sisters and brothers of softball girls responded, coaches and managers, college players, former players, Softball Organizations (Power Surge, Anderson Heat, Firecrackers 12u-14u-16u, Corona Angels, Rebels, Riptide, Team Voodoo, Jinx, Revenge 96, 95 OC Wildcats, Artesia Punishers 14u, CTS 94, 12u MS Elite, and more) all responded. The message became immediately clear, the HeyBucket community was standing up and loadly saying, we refuse to allow this scum to steal something so valuable from this little girl, her spirit of hope and faith in goodness over evil.

Today, Alicia and my entire family, are better for this experience. There can be no greater gift for me this Christmas, than the look on her face as she read each post and each letter. I could see the hope growing in her eyes as she read each word. And, I will never forget when she turned to me (trying to hold back tears) and said, "Dad, I can't believe they did this for me." And as optimistic as I try to be, I had to say, "kid, I can't believe it either."

Thanks HeyBucket, Alicia received $500.00 in donations, a new Power Surge helmet and a new Power Surge bat bag; she will soon be getting a new bat and a like new glove. She has enough cash to pay for new cleats, a second glove (to replace the two stolen) and she has had offers from people who can make the prescription sports goggles at a reasonable cost. Everything stolen has been replaced or will soon be restored, including her faith in people.

Lastly, while this has been a wonderful experience for Alicia, her lesson is not yet complete. It's good to receive, but I want her to experience the feeling of giving back. For this life lesson to come full circle, she will need to find an opportunity to give back just as generously as you all have given to her. Therefore, we have decided to start the HeyBucket Alicia Brown Holiday Give Back (Alicia Brown HGB) fund. With the approval of HeyBucket administrators, Alicia and I would like to establish an end of the year fund to be given to a deserving softball girl within the HeyBucket family. If approved, the Power Surge Organization has agreed to match whatever amount Alicia is able to save during the year (2009) for this fund. I will be contacting all the people who donated so generously to Alicia, and asking them to serve on an advisory board to help determine the best candidate to receive next year's award. We will be taking suggestions from the advisory board on how best to administer this program if we can get approval from HeyBucket to use this forum to give back. More to follow... Once again, thank you all for making this, the best Christmas ever.
myallstarz
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:52 am

I gotta hand it to you guys. Good job Hey bucket. Very nice.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Tucson » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:20 am

I am glad that this is turning out well.

I had told Alicia dad's that as soon as I sent my donation, DD called to say that her camera had been stolen out of her purse. She is a young adult that works hard and buys quality items with her money. The camera was either taken at cosmetology school or at the restaurant where she waits tables, so it is someone that she knows.

I guess we all need to keep our valuables in our bra, like my 89 YO mother does. Amy
Tucson

by NumeroUno » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:07 am

myallstarz this is one of the things that makes life worth living..
I am very happy that everything worked out for you guys and whatever you want to do we're in.

How does the shirt fit :)

Take care and have a Merry Christmas
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by artomatic » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:22 am

This is a great story.
Glad a negative has been turned into a positive!
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Bigplay33 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:27 pm

It takes a village to help raise a child and the softball village is steping up and taking care of one of thier own, what a wonderful story. Bad things do happen but its always nice to see the goodness in most people rise and clean up the mess of those who are not so nice. If all tryed to do 1 good deed a day how nice would the world be to live in. JMO

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
Bigplay33

by ice_67 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:55 pm

So shines a good deed in a weary world.

- William Shakespeare
"[b] Let no player say, if only i had tried harder"
ice_67

by pitchslap » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:27 am

What I find equally inspirational as the generosity of our softball community, is a father's value of teaching his DD a great life lesson. Nice job myallstarz! I pay to you the compliment that I believe is the greatest honor.... You're a good dad.
pitchslap

by Joe Dirt » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:10 pm

Reminds me of the movie Pay It Forward.
Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet - He who feared, he would not succeed, sat still.
Joe Dirt

Return to Fastpitch Discussions