Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

The future of recruiting

What's on your mind?

by Thefuture » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:51 pm

The University of Washington under Coach Heather Tarr has found a loop hole in the rules that allows them to coach a 14U team of 98's regardless of whether or not they are in high school. They are hand choosing players even if they are already committed to teams and putting together a "super team" that will compete out of state only. This team will be coached directly by Tarr and have full access to Husky training facility and sponsored gear.

Is this going to be the future of college recruiting?
Thefuture

by AlwaysImprove » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Thefuture wrote:The University of Washington under Coach Heather Tarr has found a loop hole in the rules that allows them to coach a 14U team of 98's regardless of whether or not they are in high school. They are hand choosing players even if they are already committed to teams and putting together a "super team" that will compete out of state only. This team will be coached directly by Tarr and have full access to Husky training facility and sponsored gear.

Is this going to be the future of college recruiting?

What happens to those kids on that team that do not fit at UW?
AlwaysImprove
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Thefuture » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:43 pm

well that is a great question. Tarr is saying this is the first time this has been tried in college sports. they are claiming it is a development team, but will also be a recruiting team. But the issue is how can Tarr sell these players to other coaches. that part just doesn't make sense. Most other coaches will just look at this as Tarr's squad of "maybe someday's", but what happens when they don't get picked? will other D1 coaches think less of them because they played for Tarr and didn't get offers? She is saying that other teams will follow suit, but I don't think this will work at all. I would love others thoughts. Is this legal, ethical, or a good idea?
"
Thefuture

by Battle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Thefuture wrote:well that is a great question. Tarr is saying this is the first time this has been tried in college sports. they are claiming it is a development team, but will also be a recruiting team. But the issue is how can Tarr sell these players to other coaches. that part just doesn't make sense. Most other coaches will just look at this as Tarr's squad of "maybe someday's", but what happens when they don't get picked? will other D1 coaches think less of them because they played for Tarr and didn't get offers? She is saying that other teams will follow suit, but I don't think this will work at all. I would love others thoughts. Is this legal, ethical, or a good idea?
"

Her and the players are in for a lot of legal trouble IMO.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by Safebyahare » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:04 pm

Well,,,,what about Team Smith?? Julie Smith at La Verne University.
Or Cal Cruisers AE or Evan aren't these coaches for Concordia?
Platinum isn't that Cat Ostamin's team?? I think she coaches.
It all sounds good. I think they might even know some other coaches that may be friends?!
What about that Tyson University :roll:
I see further, because I stand on the shoulders of giants
Safebyahare
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PDad » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:27 pm

NCAA allows coaches to be involved with prospect-age athletes in a local sports club as long as they are legal residents within 50 miles of the institution.

From NCAA Bylaw 13.11.2.3: “In sports other than basketball, an institution’s coach may be involved in any capacity (e.g., as a participant, administrator or in instructional or coaching activities) in the same sport for a local sports club or organization located in the institution’s home community, provided all prospects participating in said activities are legal residents of the area (within a 50-mile radius of the institution).” It is critical to note that a prospect participating in local sports clubs must not just live or reside within a 50-mile radius of the institution; prospects in local sports clubs must be legal residents within the 50-mile radius. In the past, failing to note this distinction has led NCAA coaches to violate this rule.

This is why the Raiders specify in their tryout ads that players must live within 50 miles of LMU.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by NumeroUno » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:07 pm

PDad wrote:NCAA allows coaches to be involved with prospect-age athletes in a local sports club as long as they are legal residents within 50 miles of the institution.

From NCAA Bylaw 13.11.2.3: “In sports other than basketball, an institution’s coach may be involved in any capacity (e.g., as a participant, administrator or in instructional or coaching activities) in the same sport for a local sports club or organization located in the institution’s home community, provided all prospects participating in said activities are legal residents of the area (within a 50-mile radius of the institution).” It is critical to note that a prospect participating in local sports clubs must not just live or reside within a 50-mile radius of the institution; prospects in local sports clubs must be legal residents within the 50-mile radius. In the past, failing to note this distinction has led NCAA coaches to violate this rule.

This is why the Raiders specify in their tryout ads that players must live within 50 miles of LMU.

Thanks PD, I saw Raiders advertising that and I wondered why
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Vess Express » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:56 pm

Does anyone know why the NCAA would make such a rule?

It appears that they are trying to get students who live close to a particular school, to actually go to that school, and not leave home.

I think I am missing something.
Vess Express

by PDad » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Vess Express wrote:Does anyone know why the NCAA would make such a rule?

It appears that they are trying to get students who live close to a particular school, to actually go to that school, and not leave home.

I think they're trying to balance allowing college coaches to be involved in local sports clubs while limiting their ability to use it to recruit players for the college.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Vess Express » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:39 pm

PDad wrote:
Vess Express wrote:Does anyone know why the NCAA would make such a rule?

I think they're trying to balance allowing college coaches to be involved in local sports clubs while limiting their ability to use it to recruit players for the college.

I see. That makes sense.

Also, a big travel ball club could say, hey look, Coach Tarr (or whoever) is part of our of our organization. She coaches our 14U team Team Firecracker Elite Glory. It could be a recruiting tool for them.
Vess Express

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions