Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

You make the call!

What's on your mind?

by wadeintothem » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:50 am

R1@ 2B, 1 out, count is 1 ball 2 strikes.

B2 swings and hits the ball, which short-hops F6 and goes into left field. On contact you hear a dull thud as the ball was hit. R1 scores, but misses 3B on the way home. Batter-runner is safe at first and the Off. coach asks for time. His player is crying and injured. Time is granted. Bruising and redness is developing on the top of her middle and index fingers and he requests a runner for BR. Def coach appeals that R1 missed 3B.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Sam » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:47 am

I agree with Spaz....R1 is returned to 2B since the K of the batter isn't subject to D3K rule.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jofus » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:53 am

I think I'm confused....why is it strike 3? Is it a strike if it hits your hands, even if the ball goes fair?
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by NumeroUno » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:22 am

U A wise man Spazsdad...
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by jofus » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:23 am

Ah, for some reason I thought the hands counted as part of the bat in that situation, I guess.....

In that case, strike 3 and the runner goes back to 2nd, right?
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by MTR » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Batter is out strike three.

Which would be true if the umpire ruled it that way. However, unless the umpires change the original call, a "strike" is not an option.
MTR

by wadeintothem » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:38 pm

jofus wrote:Ah, for some reason I thought the hands counted as part of the bat in that situation, I guess.....

In that case, strike 3 and the runner goes back to 2nd, right?

Even the best rolled and shaved demarini phoenix you can buy doesnt come with hands attached.. ;)
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by wadeintothem » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:43 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
MTR wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:Batter is out strike three.

Which would be true if the umpire ruled it that way. However, unless the umpires change the original call, a "strike" is not an option.

What was the original call? I didn't notice that in the OP. I guess you could infer from the info that since the BR was safe at first and the blue allowed time to be called by offensive coach he did not rule a DB Strike. Obviously the umpire ruled something but the post was titled "you make the call".
I did

The original call was fair ball/non-call live ball.

As you pointed out, the ball is dead when a pitched ball hits the batter. Its just semantics, you would IMO have to fix this. The ball obviously hit the batters hands as she swung. Sometimes it is very difficult to tell if it hit the hands.. this one was easy.

Dead ball, strike 3, batter is out, runner returned to 2B. Appeal on missing 3B is moot because the ball was dead on the hbp.

Not bad spazdad!
NumeroUno, give that man a Tshirt!

:lol:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by wadeintothem » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:53 am

Spazsdad wrote:"Sometimes it is very difficult to tell if it hit the hands"

As an umpire is this one you just have to let go and chalk it up to part of the game? Say you don't make a DB call in the situation described and then you notice the runner rubbing her hand and crying. Is it too late to do anything about it? Then you deal with the defensive coach squawking, possibly.

Actually had this happen at Fresno Force last year. Two outs, two strikes, inside pitch, batter swings, ball off hands. Umpire calls strike three, offensive coach complains, umpire then reverses and says HBP, awards 1st instead of strike three end of inning.

You can fix it. The goal is to get it right. Not that your situation "was fixing it"... but in general this can be fixed.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Bill_B » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:36 am

wadeintothem wrote:R1@ 2B, 1 out, count is 1 ball 2 strikes.

B2 swings and hits the ball, which short-hops F6 and goes into left field. On contact you hear a dull thud as the ball was hit. R1 scores, but misses 3B on the way home. Batter-runner is safe at first and the Off. coach asks for time. His player is crying and injured. Time is granted. Bruising and redness is developing on the top of her middle and index fingers and he requests a runner for BR. Def coach appeals that R1 missed 3B.

Based on the information provided, B2 is safe and R1 is safe unless the umpire to whom the appeal was made concurs that the appeal has merit and rules in favor of the appeal. This inquiry specifically states that R1 is safe. There is a technical basis for appeal as long as it is not a judgment matter. Coach ought to ask the plate umpire whether (s)he agreed that the batter was hit on the finger. If the plate umpire does not think the batter was hit on the finger it's judgment and no appeal since it's unlikely plate umpire will give up the call to a base umpire. If the plate umpire agrees that the batter was hit in the finger it's now a rule matter and an appeal can be made. Per the rules it would be dead ball strike and R1 goes back.
Bill_B

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions