Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

hitting lessons how long/how often?

What's on your mind?

by Judd » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:22 am

How long do you take hitting lessons for and how often? 12U DD has been taking lessons for 2 months from a local instructor who is well regarded and seems to have done a good job with DD. She has missed a month due to injury and I have her scheduled to go back next week. Is there a point where we scale back and go every two weeks or every month?
Judd

by DonnieS » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:37 pm

>> Is there a point where we scale back and go every two weeks or every month? <<

We do it weekly - we try to go to our batting instructor weekly. This is in addition to what the kids do at the 2-3 hour daily high school practice.

We have a private or semi-private (2 kids, sometimes 3) for 30 minutes weekly. The instructor works on pitch and location recognition. They work on teaching her how to find her pitch and how to drive that pitch. We also try to go to the college hitting camp when they are held. We think those are the most important because she gets the feedback that she is on the right track from the college coach.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Judd » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:03 pm

how old is she? And how long has she been taking lessons?

DD has been at it for 2 months and they work strictly on form. Is there a point where he should be working on different things? He was an instructor for 3 different major league baseball teams and he teaches boys and girls. Do i need to eventually go to someone more softball orientated?

I will say that at this point she seems to be hitting much harder than before in the cages. She hasnt had much opportunity to hit against live pitching cause of her injuries.
Judd

by DonnieS » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:43 pm

>> He was an instructor for 3 different major league baseball teams and he teaches boys and girls. Do i need to eventually go to someone <<

Same kind of instructor we have - though yours sounds like he has more experience than ours. Forget the difference - our instructor will have the local top h/s boys baseball team (texas state champs) in one side of the cages, and my girls on the other side and he really doesnt change anything.

Mine are 17 and 14 - both have been playing since they were 6. Both have been taking hitting instructions for ... probably 4 years now. My daughters are the youngest and the oldest on the team. We have also flown in an instructor (Steve Englishbey) down to work with our team before and will again as soon as I can.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchmom17 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:08 pm

Hey Judd, just noticed from the vid of ur DD pitching that u guys are from GA, just curious what area as we are also from the swell state of GA & also have a 12u DD.
fastpitchmom17

by NumeroUno » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:18 pm

Hey what's going on over there in GA with all that wind, you guys okay?
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by fastpitchmom17 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:22 pm

It got pretty nasty for a while, we had to make a couple of trips to the basement. Lots of hail, rain & crazy wind...Atlanta got hit pretty hard last night from what I hear.
fastpitchmom17

by Judd » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:06 pm

Dallas, out west in Paulding COunty. DD plays for West Cobb Thunder. How about you guys?

We had a tourny get cancelled this weekend (I think most were) and all day it was nice at my house. We were so pisses. Then my wife tells me there were tornadoes all day and a big one in Atlanta this afternoon. So we were pretty lucky here. Good luck to those having to deal with it.

We moved from Fort Lauderdale and had hurricanes to deal with. I think I prefer those. At least you have a warning with those
Judd

by fastpitchmom17 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:13 pm

Winder, Northeast of Atl. DD is taking a break from travel, went to play rec to get mound time....just turned 11 thurs so she is still a newbie.... played for Ga. Devil Dawgs & Grayson Rampage.
fastpitchmom17

by Judd » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:12 am

My DD is playing rec also as well as TB for the same reason, mound time
Judd

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions