Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

besides this great forum..

What's on your mind?

by Skarp » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Sam wrote:
CheckWriter wrote:When you are ready to matriculate to the next level:

http://robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/

DD is off to go to school (& play ball) in the PAC 10 in 4.5 weeks. Going to be strange with her out of the house.
'

Yes, help yourself to Ultimate College Softball if you like reading posts from a bunch of know nothings who act like they know everything and continuously kiss each others a$$e$. If you disagree, they will kick you off of their site. There are a couple of decent posters, but mostly guys who have kids in college that love to talk about how good their kids are...have a blast.

I hate all of those so-called "serious" softball sites. Civil discourse? Screw that. If you want truly good information, look for a site where vigorous disagreement is the norm. Yes, some gurus who are used to going unchallenged will leave the site for tamer pastures, but that is more than made up for by the range of perspectives offered on a site...well...on a site like this one.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
User avatar
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 pm

by dustyshoes » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:54 pm

The different forum's all seem to have a unique niche, I usually spend time at different one's for differnt reasons.

HB- I consider this site best for what happens outside the baselines. Manager, player & parent issues and that sort of stuff. A lot of gossip but also a lot of useful info on how to handle situtations that inevitably come up everywhere. It is personality driven but also easily the most active of all the fp sites I frequent.

Discussfastpitch- This is the inside the baselines place to go. If your dd pitches you've gotta check out the pitching forum. Good stuff in the hitting & coaching forums too.

Softballfans- Great for gear as Tuscon mentioned, I got a scn1b for just over $100 bucks shipped from there that dd loves. Pretty much a good ole boys club (more so than HB) but some bat buying info there in addition to the deals.
dustyshoes
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 pm

by Skarp » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:58 pm

dustyshoes wrote:Softballfans- Great for gear as Tuscon mentioned, I got a scn1b for just over $100 bucks shipped from there that dd loves. Pretty much a good ole boys club (more so than HB) but some bat buying info there in addition to the deals.

Hmmm...I may have to check that place out. :lol:
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
User avatar
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 pm

by dustyshoes » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Skarp wrote:
dustyshoes wrote:Softballfans- Great for gear as Tuscon mentioned, I got a scn1b for just over $100 bucks shipped from there that dd loves. Pretty much a good ole boys club (more so than HB) but some bat buying info there in addition to the deals.

Hmmm...I may have to check that place out. :lol:


Be careful, if you were smitten by SQ's avatar then we may lose you for good there.
dustyshoes
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 pm

by CheckWriter » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:07 pm

Civil discourse? Screw that.


I have no problem with that. That is why I follow both. Never saw shim on UCS, never read about pole barns. That said, the soap opera content is not all that different.

There are some usual suspects on UCS that are so far from "serious" to keep it entertaining (IMO). I have noticed that the self appointed police jump in when individual players are "called out" by name. I guess because my DD has the potential (long shot, depending on her performance) of being dragged through the mud (I don't feel that these girls are "pros" and that by accepting a scholarship agree to have a target painted on their back), I don't find it to be a bunch of know-nothings. It seems to me that it is some parents (like me) that are going, or have gone through the experience (in addition to some colleg coaches - present & past).

Check it out and decide for yourself. I mostly read and occsionally post (whether HB or UCS). I never played the game. Have nothing to add from the "mechanics" point of view. I do know that there are certain folks on this board that are very binary and I have yet to experience anything in life that is that way.

One starting college this fall and another 2 years to go. Older going to her dream school on partial softball scholarship (softball being the probable "differentiator" that got her in). From my vantage point I consider it a 100% success if she ends up playing right bench for 4 years. The education is primary, softball is secondary.

Somebody asked for other boards and I suggested one.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
User avatar
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:23 pm

by Skarp » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:10 pm

dustyshoes wrote:
Skarp wrote:
dustyshoes wrote:Softballfans- Great for gear as Tuscon mentioned, I got a scn1b for just over $100 bucks shipped from there that dd loves. Pretty much a good ole boys club (more so than HB) but some bat buying info there in addition to the deals.

Hmmm...I may have to check that place out. :lol:


Be careful, if you were smitten by SQ's avatar then we may lose you for good there.

Nah. I'll always have Daylight Kate's Canadian lass to bring me back. Yowza!!
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
User avatar
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 pm

by Skarp » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:13 pm

CheckWriter wrote:Older going to her dream school on partial softball scholarship (softball being the probable "differentiator" that got her in). From my vantage point I consider it a 100% success if she ends up playing right bench for 4 years. The education is primary, softball is secondary.

Using softball to "trade up" in education...that's the definition of success in this endeavor, IMO. Nicely done.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
User avatar
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 pm

by SSdad » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:00 am

Ace wrote:I like to read the announcements on Ete@mz. I take a drink every time I see the word, Speedy or Impact. :|


You forgot "Dominate"
It's better to keep your mouth shut and look like you're stupid......
than to open it and remove all doubt.
User avatar
SSdad
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:15 am

by Sam » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:09 am

CheckWriter wrote:
Civil discourse? Screw that.


I have no problem with that. That is why I follow both. Never saw shim on UCS, never read about pole barns. That said, the soap opera content is not all that different.

There are some usual suspects on UCS that are so far from "serious" to keep it entertaining (IMO). I have noticed that the self appointed police jump in when individual players are "called out" by name. I guess because my DD has the potential (long shot, depending on her performance) of being dragged through the mud (I don't feel that these girls are "pros" and that by accepting a scholarship agree to have a target painted on their back), I don't find it to be a bunch of know-nothings. It seems to me that it is some parents (like me) that are going, or have gone through the experience (in addition to some colleg coaches - present & past).

Check it out and decide for yourself. I mostly read and occsionally post (whether HB or UCS). I never played the game. Have nothing to add from the "mechanics" point of view. I do know that there are certain folks on this board that are very binary and I have yet to experience anything in life that is that way.

One starting college this fall and another 2 years to go. Older going to her dream school on partial softball scholarship (softball being the probable "differentiator" that got her in). From my vantage point I consider it a 100% success if she ends up playing right bench for 4 years. The education is primary, softball is secondary.

Somebody asked for other boards and I suggested one.



I was thrown off of UCS....twice....go on there and ask about Documented Nonworker.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
User avatar
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Norco, California

by REALLY » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:30 am

In the immortal words of the great Spazsdad "Don't get all butt hurt" ;)Image
User avatar
REALLY
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:12 pm

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions