Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Riddle me this!

What's on your mind?

by MTR » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:40 am

If the college coaches do not want to see prospects play against top competition including college players, why do they allow their players to participate in JO ball?

If the JO ball coaches' job is to get his/her players seen and having college players supposedly is a bad thing, why do the coaches recruit and use them on their teams?

Seems to me the common group that has complete and total control of the situation are the coaches.

One would think that if this is such a big and important issue, they would just effect their desires and all would be resolved.
MTR
 
Posts: 2317
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:21 am

by watcher » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Some "allow" players to go back and play JO ball, Some do not.

I had this conversation with a coach @ OKC last week and she stated She would rather her players workout with a TB team and do the off-season conditioning given (yeah right) My oldest worked-out everyother day and went to the cages on the other days. I would have liked her to go to a TB practice and hit "live" But we dads don't know $h..
watcher
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:10 am

by Surehitter » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:52 pm

Let's see ?? If I had a place I could send my employees for free during time of from work to sharpen the skills they have and stay in work condition, why wouldn't I.
Surehitter
 
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:51 pm

by watcher » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:56 pm

Surehitter wrote:Let's see ?? If I had a place I could send my employees for free during time of from work to sharpen the skills they have and stay in work condition, why wouldn't I.


A few reasons were, Burn-out & Injury. Not my words.
watcher
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:10 am

by TexasYellowBall » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:01 pm

You give your star SS, Pitcher, or catcher $20-30 thousand a year in tuition, books, food, etc.. then I think you have a say in what they do with softball. They are banking on you being injury free for the start of their season.
User avatar
TexasYellowBall
 
Posts: 298
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:08 am

by CheckWriter » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:50 pm

When I asked DDs soon to be coach if he encouraged the girls to play ball he said it was completely up to the girls. Some girls want / need more play time. Others need the rest after a long season - often lots of little nagging injuries for which the best medicine is some time off.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
User avatar
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:23 pm

by wadeintothem » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:15 pm

CheckWriter wrote:When I asked DDs soon to be coach if he encouraged the girls to play ball he said it was completely up to the girls. Some girls want / need more play time. Others need the rest after a long season - often lots of little nagging injuries for which the best medicine is some time off.

Thats why i'm glad we have august off. By the time I'm done with nats, I've beat myself to pieces. Pieces hurt.. time off is welcome!
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
User avatar
wadeintothem
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm

by DonnieS » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:02 pm

wadeintothem wrote:
CheckWriter wrote:When I asked DDs soon to be coach if he encouraged the girls to play ball he said it was completely up to the girls. Some girls want / need more play time. Others need the rest after a long season - often lots of little nagging injuries for which the best medicine is some time off.

Thats why i'm glad we have august off. By the time I'm done with nats, I've beat myself to pieces. Pieces hurt.. time off is welcome!


No doubt - in the last two tournaments, I have seen the blues take some nasty hits. They always tough it out but you know it has to hurt. A number of those have been some serious cup tests.
User avatar
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3694
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:27 pm

by Sam » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:52 pm

MTR wrote:If the college coaches do not want to see prospects play against top competition including college players, why do they allow their players to participate in JO ball?

If the JO ball coaches' job is to get his/her players seen and having college players supposedly is a bad thing, why do the coaches recruit and use them on their teams?

Seems to me the common group that has complete and total control of the situation are the coaches.

One would think that if this is such a big and important issue, they would just effect their desires and all would be resolved.


The college coaches are OK with them playing....they can play 23U....or women's open....or 18G. They could really give a crap what level.

Some of the Gold coaches think that 18G is about recruiting and young ladies that don't play for money....yet.

It might be interesting to see how many non scholarship college players were at 18G Nationals.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
User avatar
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Norco, California

by MTR » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:50 pm

Sam wrote:The college coaches are OK with them playing....they can play 23U....or women's open....or 18G. They could really give a crap what level.


I agree, but what if there is no 23U or women's program in their area? And there are quite a few areas where this is the case.

Some of the Gold coaches think that 18G is about recruiting and young ladies that don't play for money....yet.


Sam, either show me a pay stub or get of the "money" kick. Besides, it is irrelevant to the point of coaches controlling the players.

It might be interesting to see how many non scholarship college players were at 18G Nationals.


Does it make a difference if they were on a scholarship or not?
MTR
 
Posts: 2317
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:21 am

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions