Spazsdad wrote:MTR wrote:Tumblebug wrote:You can find our reply to the NCAA moratorium memo on our website.
http://www.andersonbat.com You will find an explanation of the problem there.
Cute. Parts of the 1st paragraph are a load of crap, but a completely politically correct response.
First paragraph Cliff notes:
We make aluminum bats so we think this is a great idea oh wise and mighty committee.
There are only a few manufacturers that are exclusively composite bat builders. Easton, Louisville, Wilson/DeMarini, and Worth are aluminum bat makers as well. All but Easton have aluminum products as their best selling performance models. I am a composite bat manufacturer too. I have a composite bat ready for manufacture and distribution. I choose not to offer the fiber reinforced composite technology until it can be appropriately adapted for impact applications. We saw this coming. We were just the first to one willing to walk away from the investment in a bad materials design choice.
I spent $250k over three years with the help of six different expert composite materials engineering groups developing a product that performed well and within the rules but through structural degradation in normal play became illegal. We made every effort to play within the rules and in spite of using formidable industry collaborators and resources found no dependable and affordable solution to the intralayer delamination problems that plague the impact application of this technology. There is no reliable way to predict the level or rate of damage once it starts. We explored materials solutions from the mundane to the exotic and if there is a solution it came on the scene after we stopped development on the project at the inception of the ABI test.
This is not my first rodeo. Before I designed bats, I was a composite structures specialist in aerospace. I have the technical resources necessary to make a good decision. We stopped the development on the project because our results were a product that was a less than elegant solution. We are at a competitive disadvantage for our decision not to distribute a popular me-too product but we continue to make efforts to design beyond the failed composite experiment. We believe we found a better way. I think the others can too but it’s easier to and less expensive to just keep building crap for as long as they will let you. If they stick to their guns, this action by the NCAA may be the wake-up call that gets it done.
I truly believe the NCAA is doing the right thing. And by doing it they got the whole industry into the same room to address the problems. The consumer and the game will be better for it. At least there will be less landfill generated by eliminating the barrels of composite bats taken out of play at the national tournaments alone.