Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

ASA Gold National Umpires Confiscate 50% of Some Teams Bats

What's on your mind?

by 93players » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:11 pm

The ASA umpire crews confiscated alot of Easton Synergys and Demarini bats. Some teams had 50-70% of their bats confiscated including bats of some of the more productive hitters. Does this mean that these players regularly play with rolled bats? Should these bats have not been allowed at Gold qualifiers. Put an illegal -- rolled or shaved -- bat in the hands of a competent swinger and you have a big advantage. I know some of these bats were used in some high school state championships. Is this a dirty secret of some of the top Gold teams -- note that some of the teams with confiscated bats had team batting averages go way down. Easton has tried to do something about this but it is a pretty big failure. Any comments?
93players
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:25 pm

by TXfastpitchsoftball » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:39 pm

What teams? What states? If you know enough to post this, then call out the offenders.
TXfastpitchsoftball
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:56 pm

by Killer Rabbit » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 pm

This happened a lot last year too. I bat doesn't have to be "rolled" or anything to be considered illegal. Actual wear and tear (and a poor design) will make a bat illegal. If the Synergy's were 2008 or earlier than they were probably loose at the connection.

The umpires were very picky about the cracks on the Demarini's. Some Demarini's were cracking with very little use. Demarini was supposed to fix that problem, but some older bats are still out there.
Ice cream?! When the f**k did we get ice cream?!
User avatar
Killer Rabbit
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Las Vegas

by TXPeppers-1-Dad » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:16 am

[quote="Killer Rabbit"] If the Synergy's were 2008 or earlier than they were probably loose at the connection.

quote]

The Synergy's does not have a connection.
User avatar
TXPeppers-1-Dad
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:24 pm

by nohesitation » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:01 am

Before you get all worked up you should know Easton "Stealth" bats (white and purple) develop small hair size cracks in the white portion of the bat above the black rubber collar. This is enough for the blue to confiscate a bat. Nobody altered this bat. This is normal wear and tear. No rolling or shaving or anything dubious. I’ve also seen dented Rocket Techs from normal wear and tear. This is also enough for a blue to confiscate the bat.
Did it ever occur to you that if you take a favorite bat from a player in the middle of a championship tournament that this might affect her performance?
I my opinion the ASA officials are going over board on this one, by confiscating bats for these small defects.
Last edited by nohesitation on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I have been loving you too long to stop now.” Otis Redding
User avatar
nohesitation
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:46 pm

by wadeintothem » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:49 am

Considering there were at least a half dozen threads on heybucket warning people that this was going to happen, I would think teams with coaches on heybucket were better prepared.. so that leaves teams blindsided because they arent members of heybucket...

Guess they better join up then..
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
User avatar
wadeintothem
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:44 pm

by dodgerblue » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:50 am

Easton Synergys bats (white and purple)

I do have to say that this bat is preferred by most and is easily shaved. Just look around at all the top programs most are swinging this bat. I've seen girls that never used to hit all of a sudden have this purple and white bat and they're going yard. We will continue to hit the old fashion way with our legal bats. I just can't imagine my DD getting caught with a shaved bat what people would think of her but for the people who are and you know who you are keep it up and one day someone will get hurt or your DD will be caught and should be banned for a year if that ever happens.
User avatar
dodgerblue
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:06 am

by Cipher » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:08 am

TXPeppers-1-Dad wrote:
Killer Rabbit wrote: If the Synergy's were 2008 or earlier than they were probably loose at the connection.

quote]

The Synergy's does not have a connection.


The white and purple Easton bat was the Stealth I believe.
Cipher
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:30 pm

by Sftbll4ever » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:26 am

dodgerblue wrote:
Easton Synergys bats (white and purple)

I do have to say that this bat is preferred by most and is easily shaved. Just look around at all the top programs most are swinging this bat. I've seen girls that never used to hit all of a sudden have this purple and white bat and they're going yard. We will continue to hit the old fashion way with our legal bats. I just can't imagine my DD getting caught with a shaved bat what people would think of her but for the people who are and you know who you are keep it up and one day someone will get hurt or your DD will be caught and should be banned for a year if that ever happens.


Who said the confiscated bats were shaved? I am pretty sure they were taken because of cracks and splintering.
Sftbll4ever
 
Posts: 1842
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:27 am

by dodgerblue » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:36 am

Put an illegal -- rolled or shaved

Who said the confiscated bats were shaved? I am pretty sure they were taken because of cracks and splintering

I was simply commenting on what was said in the opening post. I never said that's why they were confiscated. Beleive me the girls in the older divisions talk to eachother and know who's swinging shaved bats. ;)
User avatar
dodgerblue
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:06 am

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions