GSB wrote:Every parent grumbles to some extent. It may be in private, it may be in the stands, it may be over drinks. If it does not interfere with the coaching or moral of the team, get over it. Yes a bitching parent can become a cancer, but bad coaching almost always precipitates the bitching parent. Not always but most of the time. Many coaches think their job is totally on the field. When practice or game is over they are done. This is not the case.
I noticed that many of the better coaches/managers have monthly parent round tables (no kids). Parents are encouraged to give positive and negative feedback to the coaches/managers. This does not mean the coach needs to change anything he is doing with the team. He only needs to listen and keep an open mind. Coaches who are truly open for input benefit as they sometimes get ideas that they haven’t thought of and can many times learn something they didn’t know. Some coaches/managers do this with a simple telephone call or parking lot conversation with the individual parents where they ask for input. It does not need to be a formal meeting.
This also keeps the grumbling down as the parents feel they are being heard and fosters a "we are in this together" attitude. Some coaches do this with their players as well.
I would not recommend this for coaches who are thin skinned or "know everything". If you are not willing to hear a truthful perspective, don't ask.
WildRoseCoach wrote:OK... now, when your DD turns 20, do you think she will become a Meth Head because her 14U team lost in the New Jersey State Tournament?

OCD wrote:Okay,
Please help me on this. I was a victim in the ("how could she hear me say that" ?) in the stands. I was talking to my buddies right next to me, not a players mom (had to be 25 foot away from us. This would be seen as an out of character episode for me. I am usually laid back and just rooting for my girls. So, I was witnessing some (some as in 2 or 3)crazy coaching maneuvers. I dont want to get into the decisions that the coach made but lets just say that we ended up losing. Huge game, major upset win for us and a huge disappointment. I was not the only parent up in arms. (8-9 parents) My question is:
How do i act at the next practice.
a) like it never happened.
b) own it and say ... so.
c) avoid everyone at all cost
d) show up and smile a little bit...
e) confront mom and apologize
f) silent treatment
thanks in advance ..... droopy eared daddy.
Skarp wrote:greenandblue wrote:Better yet, just make fun of the ugly parents, it can be quite entertaining, especially if you are good at impersonations. (And after a few drinks).
What if I am the ugly parent?
AGameGal wrote:Skarp wrote:greenandblue wrote:Better yet, just make fun of the ugly parents, it can be quite entertaining, especially if you are good at impersonations. (And after a few drinks).
What if I am the ugly parent?
I'm only on page 2 of this thread but I am going to say that this is not the case.

Skarp wrote:AGameGal wrote:Skarp wrote:greenandblue wrote:Better yet, just make fun of the ugly parents, it can be quite entertaining, especially if you are good at impersonations. (And after a few drinks).
What if I am the ugly parent?
I'm only on page 2 of this thread but I am going to say that this is not the case.
Hah! Take that Suckas!!!