kingskid wrote:Coach 11 I am sorry but your outfield should never cover a base. This is big girl softball right?
Yes....it is "big girl" softball......which is why I can allow an outfielder to cover a base.
Softball being the small ball game that ir is, it is crucial to have OFs prepared and planned to cover the bases in different scenarios.
I have them cover bases quite often....especially in certain pick off attempts.
I've used set ups like you describe before....often with good results. But when facing better teams (and better slappers) it's harder to get them to put the ball where YOU want it. A good slapper attempting to advance a base runner is going to foul off those outside pitches until she sees something she can place where SHE wants it.
Your setup leaves a nice hole for a good slapper to take advantage of.
Mine addresses the batter and protects against the possibility of R1 taking an extra base.