Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Running up the score - just wait

What's on your mind?

by DonnieS » Sat May 30, 2009 3:23 pm

Because of the incredible stupidity of the Texas UIL, 3 schools from a town 150 miles away from our town were put into our athletic district. There are 4 schools in our size category (4A) with in 25 miles of our town - that the UIL morons put in another district. Apparently there is a box on some form that those schools 150 miles away from us, were supposed to check - and they missed it. So rather than correct this, fans, families and buses, are burning gas and taking risks driving across very remote texas desert so the kids can compete.

These schools can not compete with the schools in our district, in softball specifically. So I was very proud that our coach did not run up the score against those teams, once we hit the run rule score, no more stealing, etc. just end the game. Same time as a post on here about some socal teams running up the scores, anyway, I was pleased that we never exceeded the minimum run rule number in our games with them.

To show the class of those schools, at the end of the district play, rather than become a part of the all-district voting, they banded together to only vote for kids in their 3 schools. So many deserving athletes that had been getting all-district, 1st team, etc. every year got nothing. A kid from one of those schools got all-district ss, from a team that had been run ruled over and over.

So if any of you are reading this, get ready for next season, my friends, I hope your score boards can hold the digits.
User avatar
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3694
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:27 pm

by NewCoach » Sat May 30, 2009 8:45 pm

District 2-5A?
Luck is simply preparation meeting opportunity
NewCoach
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:01 pm

by dustyshoes » Sat May 30, 2009 9:35 pm

I was an all-district high school football player for a 2-8 team. I was voted in because if it weren't for two plays I made at critical times in games we would have been 0-10. We weren't getting much love at the all-district voting both so I'm sure one of the coaches for the good teams said, "hey, what about that kid that made those big plays for you?"

All I got for it was my name in the paper. Consider it a rec league tournament MVP trophy, let it go Donnie, let it go.
dustyshoes
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 pm

by 93players » Sat May 30, 2009 10:11 pm

Donnie, you are a class guy and your coach acted with class. It is the 3 schools that chose to vote for their own rather than true all district players. The 4 coaches from your area need to band together and solve that problem next year. 4 vs 3 should outvote the 3 on every category. Note, I would not deny a true star a district vote. Just enough to send the message that this will never happen again. No need to run up the score.
93players
 
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:25 pm

by DonnieS » Sun May 31, 2009 5:28 am

dustyshoes wrote: Consider it a rec league tournament MVP trophy, let it go Donnie, let it go.


Its let go. Both coach and I will have calmed down by then, hell we are both so old, we will probably have forgotten it by next year.
User avatar
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3694
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:27 pm

by Brooke's Dad » Sun May 31, 2009 7:41 am

DonnieS wrote:Because of the incredible stupidity of the Texas UIL....




No truer words have ever been spoken on the history of the interweb!
When asked how many times she hit Tiger with the golf club, she responded, "I'm not sure...put me down for an 8!
User avatar
Brooke's Dad
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:21 am

by DonnieS » Sun May 31, 2009 8:16 am

93players wrote: The 4 coaches from your area need to band together and solve that problem next year. 4 vs 3 should outvote the 3 on every category.


The way I understand it, the 4 coaches didnt know it was happening until it was over.
User avatar
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3694
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:27 pm

by Cannonball » Sun May 31, 2009 7:06 pm

DonnieS wrote:
dustyshoes wrote: Consider it a rec league tournament MVP trophy, let it go Donnie, let it go.


Its let go. Both coach and I will have calmed down by then, hell we are both so old, we will probably have forgotten it by next year.



Donnie, I have been very blessed with the guys I've coached with. As a first year assistant coach, the head coach had a grudge much the same as yours. In the seed meeting, he walked up to those guys who were "block voting" and announced to them that he was going to kick their arses when we played. He took a couple of steps back and then returned and announced that he wasn't going to because he cared about THEIR KIDS. Then, he asked them to do "the right thing." Something to think about. We did kick their butts but didn't rub their noses in it.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
User avatar
Cannonball
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:43 am
Location: A Park near you.

by Coach11 » Sun May 31, 2009 8:05 pm

DonnieS wrote:
dustyshoes wrote: Consider it a rec league tournament MVP trophy, let it go Donnie, let it go.


Its let go. Both coach and I will have calmed down by then, hell we are both so old, we will probably have forgotten it by next year.


You must still be a youngun.....I'd likely forget about it by the weekend.
Coach11
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:56 am

by etx bd » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:46 am

Forget what?...
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Bernard Books
User avatar
etx bd
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:38 pm
Location: East Texas

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions