Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Most popular position for Daddyballer's daughter

What's on your mind?

by MoeFoes » Fri May 29, 2009 11:49 pm

I think it is safe to say that all DD's play better for someone else. Most coaches are harder on their own DD than any other girls. There are a few who make excuses and keep their DD on the top of that mountain no matter what she does. I have come to the crossroads as of today. I have decided to never coach my DD's on the field after this summer. This is the saddest & happiest day of my life. I've done rec., all star, & travel from 8's to 14's. As fathers or mothers we have to understand that when we manager or coach a team that our DD plays on that puts more pressure on the DD than us. I have never given any of my daughters a free ride. When I told my DD's my youngest was like OK cool (damn kid I was looking for a moment, oh well) My middle is still crying (She feels its her fault, she didnt play hard enough, when thats not the case) My oldest is too busy arguing on how she's right and I'm wrong to even hear what I say. But it is time for me to be the back yard coach & the left field dad and finally enjoy watching the DD's play the game aaaand giving the coaches a hard time. But I can't help but feel that I lost something. I feel rather empty inside. I love my girls. I love my girls enough to let them go.
:( :( :(
"Why I Aughta"
MoeFoes
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: Ghetto America

by Phantom » Sat May 30, 2009 4:43 pm

REALLY wrote:Daddyball is an oxymoron it's only daddy ball when some lazy ass who won't pony up the time to coach thinks his/her lazy kid who only practices on the days the so called daddyballer gives up to work with the other 10 or so kids instead of focusing on his own daughter doesn't get to play in the position that the lazy ass thinks his daughter should have. So the only difference is the Daddyballing coach probably works with his dd 6-7 days a week, expects more then the rest, makes examples of her to prove points and if anything makes his dd sufffer so he can try and help the rest of kids and in return is accused of playing her in key positions. By choosing to coach you earn the right to make the decsions and the only ones who complain are the ones who's daughters suck anyhow and can't earn the position.



how wrong you are :lol: :roll:
Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.
Phantom
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:59 am

by m&m97 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:00 pm

This year my husband made that same decision MoeFoe and it was absolutely for the best. He coached our older DD until she starting playing H.S. ball and middle DD since t-ball. Last year was the first year he wasn’t the main coach or manager for her team but did assist. Middle DD is head strong and the coach/player relationship had taken an unhealthy turn. He was hardest on her and she never got a free ride. Since joining travel this year it has made a tremendous difference. Yes, they still butt heads but it is not nearly as bad. He’s coaching t-ball for our youngest (though it looks like she may only be the best all-star daisy picker of all time) and helps the older teams with our rec league when he can because he’s a firm believer that when girls are involved in sports it will help them to become strong women as adults. Good luck to ya and all daddyballers; they’re only little once…it goes by way too fast so enjoy it & let them enjoy playing the game. :P
m&m97
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:28 pm

by Popsof4 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:17 pm

TheCloser wrote:Just wanted to get everyone's take on what is the most popular position played by daddyballer's DD.

From what I've seen the most popular position seems to be 2nd base. My take on this is that daddyballer's DD usually sucks and has no arm but she has to play the infield so they put her at 2nd and she bats 2nd because she's an excellent bunter. :o


So what team do you coach for ? ;)
Popsof4
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:51 pm

by GIMNEPIWO » Sun May 31, 2009 5:50 am

Spazsdad wrote:
Phantom wrote:
REALLY wrote:Daddyball is an oxymoron it's only daddy ball when some lazy ass who won't pony up the time to coach thinks his/her lazy kid who only practices on the days the so called daddyballer gives up to work with the other 10 or so kids instead of focusing on his own daughter doesn't get to play in the position that the lazy ass thinks his daughter should have. So the only difference is the Daddyballing coach probably works with his dd 6-7 days a week, expects more then the rest, makes examples of her to prove points and if anything makes his dd suffer so he can try and help the rest of kids and in return is accused of playing her in key positions. By choosing to coach you earn the right to make the decisions and the only ones who complain are the ones who's daughters suck anyhow and can't earn the position.



how wrong you are :lol: :roll:


If the shoe fits....
I'll side with Sam here and say again if it wasn't for the dads that give their time the rest of you(that complain) would have nothing to complain about. Outside of Allstars I have not seen this great daddyball conspiracy. Of course, if you do your homework beforehand maybe you won't end up on a team that doesn't fit your needs.


Well ... I've seen it,( DaddyBall in the negative sense of the word ) ... one time on a team DD's played for which I outlined in detail under another thread on this subject ... and that team folded in an exodus the following year ... the other time it is still happening ... DD's have nothing to do with that team, they do not play against that team, I know one set of parents on that team and their DD who is completely unaffected by this manner of DaddyBall ... I know the DB Coach and he is a good Coach albeit ALL consumed by his DD and everything she does ... she is a good kid, good ball player and from what I've seen a good member of the team ... so, I'm not even sure it would qualify as Bad DaddyBall by description ... but if you witnessed it you would know it ... I would say that you couldn't watch 10 minutes of a practice or 1 inning of a game before you could pick out Father & Daughter ... not because he is harder on her ( he may be ) but because it is ALL about her ... example : His DD is at F6, R1 on 2nd, BR hits a ball to deep center field and F8 makes a great diving catch over her shoulder, R1 comes back and tags up and his DD at F6 goes out for the cut off on the throw to F5, she cuts the ball and relays to F5 and R1 is safe. His description of the play would go like this: Did you see how Brittany was in position for that cut off and R1 was safe because F8 made a bad throw and F5 didn't get the tag down, at least we got one out ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by narent » Sun May 31, 2009 6:26 am

Phantom wrote:
artomatic wrote:All through the 10u thread, I've been trying to give your posts the benefit of the doubt that you might have some useful information to share...
I'm beginning to think I was mistaken...

If coaching a team that my daughter plays for means I'm a daddy ball coach, then guilty as charged.
Hey, she even pitches!
One detail though:
Nothing is handed to her because her dad is the coach.
In fact, probably the opposite, she has to work really hard because she is the coach's daughter.

What a novel concept huh?




you are kinda rare these days, but good for you if this is true


No, he's the norm... not the exception. I've run into it just a couple of times in travel ball. For the most part, coaches are going to put their DD as well as their other players where they belong. If they don't, they'll lose more games and as a result, lose more players. It's simple capitalism... produce a bad product and you'll lose customers. Produce a bad team or a bad environment and you'll lose players.

If anything, travel coaches today are so paranoid that they will intentionally sit their DD for no other reason than to show everyone that they are not a "Daddyballer", often at the expense of the team. I'm asst. coach on our team and we've gotten to the point that we don't want any more than 10 girls on the team just so we can avoid this BS. Of course, one of our players sprained her ankle pretty bad yesterday and now we have to play with 9 today in the Mississippi Delta. Thank God we're in the winners bracket and start later. At least we know that no one will be complaining about playing time. :lol:
"Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well. "
-Crash Davis
narent
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:05 pm

by DonnieS » Sun May 31, 2009 6:33 am

narent wrote: Of course, one of our players sprained her ankle pretty bad yesterday and now we have to play with 9 today in the Mississippi Delta. Thank God we're in the winners bracket and start later. At least we know that no one will be complaining about playing time. :lol:


What age group? We played a few with walking wounded on the field. Good luck.
User avatar
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3694
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:27 pm

by Joe » Sun May 31, 2009 6:44 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote:Well ... I've seen it,( DaddyBall in the negative sense of the word ) ...


GIMNwhatever,

You cite a fine example of a Daddyballer gone bad. I can cite just as many examples (x 10) where the Daddyballer scenerio hasn't gone bad...and in fact, has far exceeded expectations.

The fact is....we can't hold the hand of every fool that would stick around and tolerate your story of the daddyballer evildoers. This is the basic foundation of a good conservative...Be responsible for your own actions and don't rely on others to wipe your behind.

If a parent hangs with this group for more than a day or two...they deserve all the 'good' things to come. I would, however, reserve any commentary that does not agree with the premise that daddyball is the greatest part of youth sports!!!
Joe
 
Posts: 2393
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:25 pm

by Sam » Sun May 31, 2009 9:29 am

I am just now recovering from financial disaster. I sunk all of my family's cash into a new business.....Rose Colored Blue Blocker Glasses. The glasses were designed block out all of the bad plays made by DD while exagerrating the good plays AND they block out bad calls by the umpire. The glasses also allow the parent to see where the coaches' DD's are playing at all times while blocking out their good plays and magnifying their bad plays. Imagine my surprise when I opened booth after booth at huge softball tournaments only to realize all the parents already had the RCBBG or "Recbabygoggles."

I'm working on a new technology....a pair of glasses that fits on the frontal lobes and allows parents to select teams that their DD has little chance for playing time and tells the parent that its the coach's fault. The Oakley brand name is taken so I'm calling them: Lobotomy
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
User avatar
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Norco, California

by narent » Sun May 31, 2009 10:59 am

DonnieS wrote:
narent wrote: Of course, one of our players sprained her ankle pretty bad yesterday and now we have to play with 9 today in the Mississippi Delta. Thank God we're in the winners bracket and start later. At least we know that no one will be complaining about playing time. :lol:


What age group? We played a few with walking wounded on the field. Good luck.


14U, although about half of our team are 96's. Playing in Tunica this weekend. First tourny that hasn't been rained out in 4 weeks.
"Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well. "
-Crash Davis
narent
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:05 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions