Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Catcher's Mitt

What's on your mind?

by Comets16 » Sun May 10, 2009 8:53 pm

My DD has used Nokona, Mizuno, Easton & TPS over the past 4 years. I was dead set on Wilson A2000, just because of the name and level of greatness the A2000 has had for many years. Only problem is I never seem to have $189 for the A2000 catchers mitt.

So I kept looking and I liked the look of the Worth Liberty Advanced, but was skeptical about the White. I stayed up one night and won one on ebay at 12:02 in the morning..absolutely best money I have spent!! Period.. This glove, brand new was able to be used and was truly game ready..We got it on Thursday and she wore it that weekend in ASA Qualifier. I have always over oiled, baked, shaving cream in a bucket, to get gloves broken in and didn't have to do any of this with this glove...It also feels good on my hand, and has great padding with superior pocket..Price is on high side, but shop a round, look on ebay..The white gets only slightly dirty.DDD is rough on dirt and chalk, but glove cleans up easily. White turns only slightly, amazing..Pocket is open vs closed and is awesome..

DD (Second Year 12U) is super happy, and guess that is all that matters.

Here is what I thought of the others

Nokona CM275KPro - Took long time to break in. Padding was on thin side, DD complained of hand hurting, Good leather quality.OK pocket, some balls pop out. Price high

Mizuno GXS91 - Broke in quickly, thin padding, "feels cheap". worked well for DD, very good pocket. Very reasonable price

Easton - Used it 4 yrs ago given to her. Don't remember the model but was a good starter mitt.

Louisville TPS FPROCMR - Worth catching mitt I have ever saw..Worst money I ever spent...Just an awful glove..Tried to "copy" Nokona, about the same padding, size, feel and luck..So many balls would pop out of this glove..I baked it so many times, but pocket would not "form"..Way over priced to be a piece of junk..I finally gave up when we watched PFX Tour and the catcher for PFX team, had a couple balls pop out the same mitt.. Don't buy you will be sorry..

http://www.softball.com/TPS-CATCHER/Lou ... /index.pro
Comets16
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:40 am

by Joe Dirt » Mon May 11, 2009 10:54 am

Why would you bake your glove? Did you marinade it first? Seriously, that has got to be one of the worst ideas. I know people do it but it just doesn't seem right. Use the glove, that is the best break in method I know of. Use a little conditioner with lanolin. I just think the baking thing dries out the leather.
Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet - He who feared, he would not succeed, sat still.
User avatar
Joe Dirt
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:38 pm

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed May 13, 2009 3:08 am

Joe Dirt wrote:Why would you bake your glove? Did you marinade it first? Seriously, that has got to be one of the worst ideas. I know people do it but it just doesn't seem right. Use the glove, that is the best break in method I know of. Use a little conditioner with lanolin. I just think the baking thing dries out the leather.


I've done it for years ... my theory is that it opens the pores of the leather so the olive oil is better absorbed ... you don't actually roast it ... more like warming it up a bit ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by Joe Dirt » Wed May 13, 2009 8:10 am

Do you add any rosemary or thyme?
Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet - He who feared, he would not succeed, sat still.
User avatar
Joe Dirt
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:38 pm

by Crabby_Bob » Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 am

Joe Dirt wrote:Do you add any rosemary or thyme?

After the parsley and sage...
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
User avatar
Crabby_Bob
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:36 am

by Joe Dirt » Wed May 13, 2009 9:05 am

Would you serve with white wine or red? I am thinking Merlot or Cabernet.
Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet - He who feared, he would not succeed, sat still.
User avatar
Joe Dirt
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:38 pm

by Fever98#6 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:37 am

Thank you all very much for the feedback. We went with the Nokono cm 275, could not find the buffalo one locally and couldn't find a Worth Liberty. The Nokono should be a good fit though. He current glove is a bit heavier and has more padding ( like the worth) so this should work great. She used it last night with good results and will continue to break in..

Thanks for the baking ideas, but the boss says stay out of the kitchen..we live in Arizona anyway..no need to bake..I will just set in in the driveway for an hour..should get up to 900 degrees pretty fast and break in naturally..LOL
"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."- Yogi Berra
User avatar
Fever98#6
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:40 pm

by anonlooker » Wed May 13, 2009 4:43 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Joe Dirt wrote:Why would you bake your glove? Did you marinade it first? Seriously, that has got to be one of the worst ideas. I know people do it but it just doesn't seem right. Use the glove, that is the best break in method I know of. Use a little conditioner with lanolin. I just think the baking thing dries out the leather.


I've done it for years ... my theory is that it opens the pores of the leather so the olive oil is better absorbed ... you don't actually roast it ... more like warming it up a bit ...


Baking a glove dries out the natural oils of the leather. So you rid it of it's natural oils just to oil it back up with something different? It's like the fast food version of glove care, and we know what fast food can do to you. What a terrible thing to do to a ball glove! :?

Fever, read the documentation that came with your new Nokona (congratulations, btw!). It likely says not to use any oils at all. They aren't necessary.
Don't worry about tomorrow. You did that yesterday.
User avatar
anonlooker
 
Posts: 3114
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:14 pm

by Fever98#6 » Thu May 14, 2009 9:47 am

anonlooker wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote:
Joe Dirt wrote:Why would you bake your glove? Did you marinade it first? Seriously, that has got to be one of the worst ideas. I know people do it but it just doesn't seem right. Use the glove, that is the best break in method I know of. Use a little conditioner with lanolin. I just think the baking thing dries out the leather.


I've done it for years ... my theory is that it opens the pores of the leather so the olive oil is better absorbed ... you don't actually roast it ... more like warming it up a bit ...


Baking a glove dries out the natural oils of the leather. So you rid it of it's natural oils just to oil it back up with something different? It's like the fast food version of glove care, and we know what fast food can do to you. What a terrible thing to do to a ball glove! :?

Fever, read the documentation that came with your new Nokona (congratulations, btw!). It likely says not to use any oils at all. They aren't necessary.


Thx Looker...yes, specifically says.." NO baking, microwaves, water, silicone or oils.."..says to use petroleum jelly..
"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."- Yogi Berra
User avatar
Fever98#6
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:40 pm

by Joe Dirt » Thu May 14, 2009 10:49 am

There should be some of that on Anon's nightstand.
Sedit qui timuit ne non succederet - He who feared, he would not succeed, sat still.
User avatar
Joe Dirt
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions