Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

High School Softball/Not Getting It

What's on your mind?

by Coach11 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:46 pm

Glad to see so many chirping up in support of HS coaches.

I see an awful lot of it (HS coach bashing) on this board, and I know a good portion of HB posters are in the Ca. area....so one (me) begins to assume, that it's a regional thing.

Not saying all NY HS coaches are great....but in these parts, it's usually the parents you would EXPECT to complain about the coaches, that do.

Daughter has a dynamite varsity coach. Works closely with our towns summer and fall travel teams, and offers "open gym" workouts throughout the fall and winter to anyone interested in attending.
Coach11
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:56 am

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:04 am

I will even take the new kinder and gentler me to a new level ... I will go so far as to say the current HS Coach, who is the first one to have the job 2 years in a row ... has done more for the program than all of the previous Coaches put together ... I think that he has more wins than all of them put together ... he has more understanding of the game than all of them put together ... he is by far the best thing that has happened to the program in the last 6 years and has been the best Coach ( :? mind you, there were Coaches that didn't know there was stealing in fastpitch ) ... and I'm really trying to like him ... :o ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by SnocatzDad » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:42 am

I'm just getting to watch my first HS games this spring. The thing that I like best about it is the focus and discipline that play 9 bat 9 brings to the middle of the pack players. Kids that during travel ball would lose focus in the outfield because it wasn't their favorite position, or figured outfield just wasn't that important. I'm not saying they were complete space cases, but you've all probably seen a kid that maybe didn't get the jump on the ball that they should have in LF.

In travel ball whether your in the OF or on the bench 90% your in the batting line-up. Only at the end of the year do we start play 9 bat 9. (I'm aware of the DP/flex rule btw just simplifiying)

Now some of those kids are on the bench and not in the batting order and they are in shock. Suddenly LF looks really really good and when they get an oppotunity they bring a laser like focus hoping to increase the chance for more playing time. Even my own kid who has been fortunate enough to play every inning so far, but has floated from SS to Catcher to OF when I asked her if it bothered her she wasn't catching more she said "Whatever dad, I just want to play somewhere, I don't care where."
SnocatzDad
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:04 am

by slideby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:34 am

:D sounds like all of your dd's are doing well at high school and i am glad to hear that.
I heard a interview with Pete Carroll and when asked how do you get such great teams year after year he said " I treat my #12 player as good as I treat my#1 player on a daily basis and every kid feels like part of team"
Thats all I am looking for.
Peace Out!!!!
slideby
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:51 am

by Sam » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:17 am

There are maybe 5 or 6 HS coaches in SoCal that know what they are doing....the others would suck up a wet scream.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
User avatar
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Norco, California

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:36 am

Sam wrote:There are maybe 5 or 6 HS coaches in SoCal that know what they are doing....the others would suck up a wet scream.


:lol: Is that a Samism or is that a SoCalism ? :lol: Is this the new kinder and gentler Sam ? :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by DonnieS » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:05 am

Coach11 wrote:Glad to see so many chirping up in support of HS coaches.

I see an awful lot of it (HS coach bashing) on this board, and I know a good portion of HB posters are in the Ca. area....so one (me) begins to assume, that it's a regional thing.

Not saying all NY HS coaches are great....but in these parts, it's usually the parents you would EXPECT to complain about the coaches, that do.

Daughter has a dynamite varsity coach. Works closely with our towns summer and fall travel teams, and offers "open gym" workouts throughout the fall and winter to anyone interested in attending.


We have a coach at our high school that had left coaching to spend more time with his very athletic kids. He went back to help - because our school, our team, our girls needed him to. He has made a huge difference in the program and there is no way we can thank him enough.
User avatar
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3694
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:27 pm

by slideby » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:13 am

Sam,

hmmmmmmmmmm I can think of like 2 Bob Schultz from like semi valley area and Rob Weil
Los Al new coach
thats just about it I think
JMO
slideby
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:51 am

by Sftbll4ever » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:27 am

slideby wrote:Sam,

hmmmmmmmmmm I can think of like 2 Bob Schultz from like semi valley area and Rob Weil
Los Al new coach
thats just about it I think
JMO


Hmmmm Mark Campbell, Dan Hay, maybe just maybe, even Doug Meyers!
Sftbll4ever
 
Posts: 1842
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:27 am

by Popsof4 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Maybe my kid is just lucky, but my daughter enjoys HS ball more than travel. She has played on very good travel teams since 10u to current (14's) and has only placed below 4th at ASA Nationals and I think it was first year 12's. She has won one national title, was runner up another, 9th one year and 4th another.

My point is despite all the above she still enjoys HS ball more. I guess the pride in representing your school can be more emotional then playing and traveling with kids you mainly see on weekends.

Your season will only be bad if you allow it to. We have had minor problems on our team (mainly scorekeeping issues) but overall it's been a good to date experience. As a parent sway her away from the negativity.

It sounds as if your complaint is more so not knowing you're daughters role on the team?
Popsof4
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:51 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions