Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Player Leaving Mid Season!

What's on your mind?

by Iluvblue » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:47 am

A little late on the reply but Blu I have to disagree with you. When you assemble you're team you do so such that all the peices fit. If one someone leaves it does affect everyone.

If there is a good reason to leave then so be it and you part ways. I'm just saying that you have to talk it through first before just taking off with an email good bye.





Thats ok, we can agree to disagree. But no way 1 player ruins a season. if it is your star pitcher, then obviously your team will not be as good, but does that ruin the season? Well I guess if the only barometer for a successful season is wins and losses, then it could. But When I select a team, I certainly dont have so little depth that I cant replace any one player. As a coach that has very cohesive player/parent/coach relationships, I would rather just let any disgruntled parent go away, then try to force them to stay.


Barry Bonds could be on my team, but if her parents are jerks, she is gone no matter what the impact on the teams success will be. I tell my parents that I coach because I enjoy it. If you make me not enjoy it, one of us is leaving. You can guess which one of us is leaving:)


Bottom line is this is a kids game. There are no signed contracts, and I would bet those player "Agreements" arent worth the paper they are written on. If a kid wants out for ANY REASON, say goodbye and move on. If you have many players wanting out each season, go look in the mirror. The person looking back at you is why people are leaving.
Iluvblue
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:05 pm

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:21 pm

coolstuff wrote:
Sam wrote:I know that when I managed, my perception of fair was very different from my wife's...


So it was apparent who was right and who was wrong? ;)


LMAOWIOAB ! ... Ya gotta pick your battles ... :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by timlizy » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:02 pm

HEY L84DNR,


IT WASN'T EVEN A TEAM FUNDRAISER!!!! IT WAS A PRIVATE VENUE THAT EACH PARENT VOLUNTEERED THEIR TIME FOR!!!!! IT WASN'T YOUR FUNDRAISER TO BEGIN WITH AND YOU WERE JUST AS MUCH A VOLUNTEER AS WE WERE!!! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU DIDN'T GET YOUR MONEY BACK??? IF IT WAS A FUNDRAISER THAT THE "LR" ORGANIZED I WOULD FULLY AGREE WITH NOT GETTING OUR MONEY BACK. BUT YOU KNOW AND I KNOW IT WASN'T. DO THE RIGHT THING HERE "FB" AND JUST GIVE US THE MONEY WE ARE DUE AND LET'S MOVE ON!!!!
timlizy
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:18 pm

by GIMNEPIWO » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:47 am

:idea: :arrow: Stop yelling ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by L84DNR » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:25 am

I have to thank everyone for their replies! The main reason for posting this topic was really to get an opinion on a player leaving mid season. Money really isnt the issue here, although you were asked about it, I was looking for honest opionions about players and parents leaving mid season, what affect it has on the team, players, and parents left in the wake .....and I got them.

Obviously posting this in softball nerve central, So Cal, I was expecting to find out if and when this happens if it is no big deal or truly does affect a team. Being from a much smaller softball community we dont have the pool of players to fill voids mid season but it appears the lack of commitment affects teams just the same.

Overall the post were pretty consistent, coaches and teams commit to players and players and parents commit to coaches and teams for a season.

It seems this post has found its way to the source, THE YELLING PARENT, and it appears the concern is MONEY....So what about the coaches, players and parents left behind....? They will get their MONEY one way or the other....!

It's all fun and games until someone quits!
User avatar
L84DNR
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 10:17 pm

by Iluvblue » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:11 am

So it appears there is more to this story then we were told???

And I didnt think the replies were universal at all.
Iluvblue
 
Posts: 1525
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:05 pm

by L84DNR » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:56 am

No, not really much more to it blue. When players leave our orginization for whatever reason they are given back their personal account balance no questions asked, its their money. What is in question here is pending payment for a fundraising event. If fundraising payments are made to the orginization it stays with the orginization, it has to by law as we are a non profit orginization. This is not negotiable by coach, manager, etc...but determined by federal law.

So the bottom line is if you leave mid season before team funds are used as planned for tourney's, travel, lodging, equipment etc...you leave everyone and everything behind.

Tough decision to make isnt it, live with it.....
User avatar
L84DNR
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 10:17 pm

by Sam » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 pm

timlizy wrote:HEY L84DNR,


IT WASN'T EVEN A TEAM FUNDRAISER!!!! IT WAS A PRIVATE VENUE THAT EACH PARENT VOLUNTEERED THEIR TIME FOR!!!!! IT WASN'T YOUR FUNDRAISER TO BEGIN WITH AND YOU WERE JUST AS MUCH A VOLUNTEER AS WE WERE!!! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU DIDN'T GET YOUR MONEY BACK??? IF IT WAS A FUNDRAISER THAT THE "LR" ORGANIZED I WOULD FULLY AGREE WITH NOT GETTING OUR MONEY BACK. BUT YOU KNOW AND I KNOW IT WASN'T. DO THE RIGHT THING HERE "FB" AND JUST GIVE US THE MONEY WE ARE DUE AND LET'S MOVE ON!!!!


If you donated the money to the team, you leave the team, and the team still exists, you get no money back....no different that donating money to the Red Cross or even to a church. You are not "due" a dime. You are apparently leaving and hurting the rest of the team by doing so. Consider yourself lucky that somebody else wants to put up with you. Do the right thing....shut up and move on.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
User avatar
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Norco, California

by MoeFoes » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:59 pm

Sam wrote:
timlizy wrote:HEY L84DNR,


IT WASN'T EVEN A TEAM FUNDRAISER!!!! IT WAS A PRIVATE VENUE THAT EACH PARENT VOLUNTEERED THEIR TIME FOR!!!!! IT WASN'T YOUR FUNDRAISER TO BEGIN WITH AND YOU WERE JUST AS MUCH A VOLUNTEER AS WE WERE!!! HOW WOULD YOU FEEL IF YOU DIDN'T GET YOUR MONEY BACK??? IF IT WAS A FUNDRAISER THAT THE "LR" ORGANIZED I WOULD FULLY AGREE WITH NOT GETTING OUR MONEY BACK. BUT YOU KNOW AND I KNOW IT WASN'T. DO THE RIGHT THING HERE "FB" AND JUST GIVE US THE MONEY WE ARE DUE AND LET'S MOVE ON!!!!


If you donated the money to the team, you leave the team, and the team still exists, you get no money back....no different that donating money to the Red Cross or even to a church. You are not "due" a dime. You are apparently leaving and hurting the rest of the team by doing so. Consider yourself lucky that somebody else wants to put up with you. Do the right thing....shut up and move on.

Sam you are right on the money "MOFOE STYLE"
"Why I Aughta"
MoeFoes
 
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:41 pm
Location: Ghetto America

by D00bie » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:23 pm

Sam wrote:
If you are from around here , you should know that SoCal ASA mandates the signing of the player agreement. But you are the smrat one ...... right? You might want to take your kid back to rec ball where she has to play a minimum number of innings so you will get you money's worth. Parents do talk but they don't listen much ....... they only want to talk about how good their DD is and how she should be playing SS and batting third every game. The other parents don't want to hear it when they know that their own DD should be doing the same thing.

Feel free to come back when you know what you are talking about.


OK, so by deduction, I'll assume you haven't seen, read, or signed the player agreements I have, that in a nutshell do not guarantee anything, including your kid's spot, even for 1 month, let alone playing time.

And that (SoCal)ASA is the center of the universe.

And...more tangent non-relevent stuff about Rec ball, SS, minimum innings, and other stuff that I really have no idea what you are talking about again.

My point is, if you are gonna make me agree to something that says my daughter is not guaranteed anything, either in writing, or even verbally, if you want to run a team that way, don't be surprised if people leave mid-season either. Works both ways.

I'll throw something non-relevant in too, I like centerfold mommies. :lol:
User avatar
D00bie
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:06 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions