Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Exposing cooked stats

What's on your mind?

by Lannie » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:35 pm

How often has any of you ever run up against high school coaches that cook the books to benefit the players on his/hers team for conference/sectional/state recognition?

Can anything be done about it if proven?
User avatar
Lannie
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:39 pm

by Sftbll4ever » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:39 pm

I know a local HS team that does the same thing. Nothing you can do about it if they are the home team.
Sftbll4ever
 
Posts: 1842
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:27 am

by Mike Lednovich » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:26 pm

Then you have the situation recently where one varsity team won 27-0. Are those true stats? Of course they are, but they really pad the numbers.
Mike Lednovich,
Fullerton College/OC Hawks 18Gold
User avatar
Mike Lednovich
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:02 am

by CheckWriter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:58 pm

I have heard of a HS coach giving "his favorite" kid credit for home runs that other kids hit. Happened more than once so the "typo" excuse didn't hold water.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
User avatar
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:23 pm

by sftball1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:49 pm

Happens all the time, that's why I don't put much stock in high school stats. I heard a parent at a high school game tell a scorekeeper that in high school any time a kid gets on base, it counts as a hit. I bet the pitcher's parents wouldn't be too happy with that deduction!! :)
sftball1
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:25 pm

by sftball1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:50 pm

I also don't put too much stock in who gets selected for all league, it's usually a political process anyway. Coach's favorites always make the cut.
sftball1
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:25 pm

by Lefty's Dad » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:16 pm

sftball1 wrote:I also don't put too much stock in who gets selected for all league, it's usually a political process anyway. Coach's favorites always make the cut.

I could be way off base here but wouldn't the coach's favorite normally be their best player? I would think they would be one in the same. I guess you have some high school "coaches" that prefer the suck up player but I have got to think there are only a few of those. But then again, what would differenciate from the suck up player and the player that is just polite and respectful, a lot of kids don't understand the difference these days.
My daughter is perfect, she knows everything. Just ask her.
User avatar
Lefty's Dad
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:31 am
Location: Missouri City, Tx

by sftball1 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:38 pm

Not if the coach's kid happens to be on the team or someone that he has known for a long time and "mentored" into the player that they are today. I know of a specific example where the kid on a team in our league was clearly the best player on their team, but for whatever reason, the coach had another player that he liked. They didn't do well in the league and so realistically only had one spot to get all league, so you can imagine who he petitioned for.

I'm not saying that all of the picks are political, but those same coaches that pad the stats for certain players are also going to petition for those same players to be selected for league, state, whatever. Wasn't that what you were asking when you started this thread?
sftball1
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:25 pm

by GIMNEPIWO » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:39 am

The Coach is also the Math Teacher ... his or her favorite could also be the math geek who cleans the blackboard before class ... or the student with the hot Mom ... etc etc ... few years back the favorite was the first basegal ( beyond reason )... at the end of year banquet she was refered to as 'the best first baseman I've ever seen' ... she had 1 hit all year and any time she pulled her foot she went down in a lump feining injury ... In the past, I'm not so sure they really knew how to keep accurate stats or score a game ... and 2 years ago the gal who was keeping the book couldn't tell a base hit from a base on balls ... :o The past couple years the new Coach pads his stats to justify his line up, or just makes things up for intimidation purposes ( little weiner complex, LWC ) ... as example, he didn't give the gals their averages until just before the end of last season... but had this one gal leading the team which I thought 'No Way ! ' ... So, this year I decided to score every game from the stands to help me keep my mouth shut ... few games ago he announced to the team that once again that gal was leading the team ... I had her batting .162, about 6th or 7th on the team ... that being said, on this team, she would probably be my lead off hitter too ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by Coach11 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:50 am

Lefty's Dad wrote:I could be way off base here but wouldn't the coach's favorite normally be their best player? I would think they would be one in the same.


Nah...alot of variables come into play when you're talking about a "favorite" player. Personalities...relationship with parents...politics....etc.

I know that my favorite players over the years haven't always been the best. Matter of fact...one of my current favs is actually our #3 pitcher. Aside from her abilities in the circle, she's actually one of the weakest players I've ever coached.

She's a got a great personality, attitude and she works hard and never gives up.

I wish some of the better players shared more of those attributes.

Mind you though.....I'd never "cook the books" for anyone.
Coach11
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:56 am

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions