Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Hair Bows?

What's on your mind?

by artomatic » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:52 pm

hhhmmm, my kid said she wears the headband when its cold to cover her ears, and the sparkly thing when its hot....
the latest ive seen our girls use is that stretchy pre-wrap tape. they make skinny headbands with them...
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
User avatar
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 2802
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:41 pm
Location: Nearest Ogggi's

by AM Softball » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:59 pm

artomatic wrote:hhhmmm, my kid said she wears the headband when its cold to cover her ears, and the sparkly thing when its hot....
the latest ive seen our girls use is that stretchy pre-wrap tape. they make skinny headbands with them...


That's probably the #1 reason our trainers get mad at us...wasting their pre-wrap or takiing their rubber bands. Most college girls use pre-rap because they forget to bring a headband.
User avatar
AM Softball
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:02 pm
Location: Southern California

by play4fun2 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:44 pm

When my DD was in 10Us, one of her teammates' older sister, (a Freshman who had just made her Varsity team) told the girls that the guys in high school called the softball girls "dikes." My DD was nine at the time, and really didnt pay much attention to this. This older girl told the younger girls that the players who wore bows AND/OR headbands were considered straight and those who did not weren't. At the time the little ones could care less, but it is interesting that my DD is now the age of that older girl, and she always makes sure to wear headbands and/or bows when playing.
play4fun2
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:32 pm

by Skarp » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:30 pm

Teletubbies was just plain disturbing. I watched it once and said no way are my kids watching this. It reminded me of A Clockwork Orange...seriously. That was quite a while before Falwell's Tinky Winky pronouncement.

I do find it funny though that anyone who voices reservations about kids programming is invariably denigrated as a loon, as if the left hasn't been working full time for decades trying to advance their progressive agendas through that medium.

My reflective view of Teletubbies is that it might not have been "gay" per se, but it was certainly gender neutral (and very effeminately so). As such, it consciously rejected historical notions of gender roles, making everyone equal and essentially the same (except for color differences, of course). And of course if everyone is the same, it doesn't really matter who you screw. Any choice is as good as the next.

My kids didn't watch Sesame Street growing up, nor any other programs that overtly shoved progressive world-views down kids' throats. Nor will their kids, I'll warrant. That's just the way the Skarps roll.

On a different but related note, last week dd came home with an essay assignment. She had to write a letter to the governor. The assignment provided a template that the kids were all required to follow. It began "My education is important to me because..." Then the second paragraph started with "The financial cuts will negatively impact my educational experience by..." And then the entire last paragraph was pre-written: "When you are considering how schools are funded...blah, blah, blah." This was a graded assignment. The kids weren't allowed to think about the pros and cons of budget cuts and to come to their own conclusions about what they wanted to write. They were fed the party line and required to write a letter supporting it. Then they had to attach their pictures to their letters (because "it will have more impact"), and the letters were then all gathered up to be delivered in bulk. F'ing shameless. I am livid, but will likely sit on my hands just like everyone does, because I'm not going to put a bullseye on my kid when I know that nothing I say will make a damn bit of difference anyway.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
User avatar
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 pm

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:16 pm

Well Skarpadiem ... that is certainly one take on it ... when this tele tubbie tustle came up previously, I mentioned that neither I, nor my children were tele-tubbie heads ... as a matter of fact, I never saw one until Ferry Jallwell stuck foot ( A ) into mouth ( B ) ... *see diagram ... but attacking Sesame Street " that overtly shoved progressive world-views down kids' throats " ... like ? the alphabet ? Maybe it really isn't about what you read into it as an adult ... or maybe it is ... who knows ? ... you could be right ! ... I never trusted the subversive message in that "conjuction junction, what's my function " song ... And I never trusted that bird ... and whats that with Bert & Ernie having the same names as the Cab Driver and the Cop in the movie " Its a Wonderful Life " ... were they trying to teach kids subconsciously that life is wonderful ? .....
I don't know .. how many kids watched the Coyote launch himself into an overhanging cliff with an Acme Rocket Kit ? ... And how many of them turned into Ted Kosinski ? .... Maybe a
cartoon is just a cartoon ... or maybe Loonie Tunes had an agenda ...
As far as that school assignment ... No sh*t ... why should they teach the students to think and write independently ... or have an opinion of their own ... the public school system is all about storing useless facts instead of teaching them how to research and form opinions on their own ... in your words " F'ing shameless."
Attachments
225px-Jerry_Falwell_portrait.jpg
225px-Jerry_Falwell_portrait.jpg (14.1 KiB) Viewed 9252 times
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by Skarp » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:43 pm

GIMNEPIWO wrote:... but attacking Sesame Street " that overtly shoved progressive world-views down kids' throats " ... like ? the alphabet ? Maybe it really isn't about what you read into it as an adult ... or maybe it is ... who knows ? ... you could be right ! ... I never trusted the subversive message in that "conjuction junction, what's my function " song ... And I never trusted that bird ... and whats that with Bert & Ernie having the same names as the Cab Driver and the Cop in the movie " Its a Wonderful Life " ... were they trying to teach kids subconsciously that life is wonderful ? .....

I'm not saying that the programming doesn't also contain beneficial, non-objectionable content--like the abc's and whatnot. It has to or it would never fly. But the subtext is invariably uber-liberal...about teaching kids to be better human beings (in the mold of the progressive ideal, of course).

Hey I grew up on Sesame Street, Electic Co., etc. And I assumed that my kids would too. But after watching it with dd early on I changed my mind on that in a hurry. I don't need a television to teach my kids the alphabet...and if anyone is going to tell them what to think, that's going to be me.
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
User avatar
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3141
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:10 pm

by Tucson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:27 pm

Hey I grew up on Sesame Street, Electic Co., etc.


Jeesh, I grew up with Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans and some bunny rabbit, on that show. I don't know what the heck was wrong with that bunch.
User avatar
Tucson
 
Posts: 1274
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:14 pm

by Chin Music » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:24 am

The hair-bow stories were interesting and sound somewhat contraversial (like wearing an earing in a particular ear) but bagging on cartoons and the kid shows I grew up with are what Skarp refers to as "disturbing." Like the WWE it's fake! It's entertainment. Don't look into it to deep. And Puff the Magic Dragon is not about burning hooters.
User avatar
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:42 pm

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:16 am

Skarp wrote: Hey I grew up on Sesame Street, Electic Co., etc. And I assumed that my kids would too. But after watching it with dd early on I changed my mind on that in a hurry. I don't need a television to teach my kids the alphabet...and if anyone is going to tell them what to think, that's going to be me.


...And I must say ... you seem to be relatively unaffected by the trauma ...

And Chin-Meister said :
"interesting and sound somewhat contraversial (like wearing an earing in a particular ear)"

I knew a guy who had been stationed in Germany , and came back with a ear pierced on the opposite side of the message he was trying to convey ... he said that in Europe, they do the other ear ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by Coach11 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:01 am

GIM....that is, without a doubt, hands down, the very worst photoshop job of all time! :D
Coach11
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:56 am

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions

cron