Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

The Umpire Corner

interference or no?

Rule question? Get it answered here.

by jc14bar » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:01 pm

So I pride myself on knowing all the rules, but this situation stumped me.
NFHS rules, but if ASA, or NCAA is different please advise.

Situation:
Bottom of last inning, tied score, bases loaded.
Pitcher hits B1 on the arm. B1 stays near home plate recovering from the injury.
R3 comes down the line, and prior to touching home, spins B1 around and pushes her towards 1st. B1 walks down the line and touches 1st base. Umpire calls game.

Questions,
#1 Is this interference on R3 for pushing B1 towards 1st base and therefore R3 would be out
or
#2 Is B1 awarded 1st base and R3 scores regardless of pushing B1 towards 1st.

Discuss.
jc14bar

by UmpSteve » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:11 pm

Is not, and never could be interference.

The applicable rule (8-6-5) says:

"The runner is out when ......
Any offensive team member, other than another RUNNER, physically assists the runner."

Unless you have a whole new meaning of R3, ................

Further, NFHS has an approved ruling (and case play) that the run would score on a based loaded walk, even if the 3rd out was made prior to the run scoring on another (and trailing) runner (which would release the "force" and result in the run NOT scoring in USA/ASA. It wouldn't be a stretch to consider the same ruling for HBP, particularly considering this was even during a dead ball, and that another runner could complete the running responsibility in the case of an injury that kept the batter from doing it.
UmpSteve
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jc14bar » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:36 pm

That sounds right.

I knew the unable to continue rule on a hits batter. Just a combination of issues.

Thank you
JC
jc14bar

by PDad » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:14 pm

UmpSteve wrote:Unless you have a whole new meaning of R3, ................

Well, at least the "R" part. As you know, R3 was on first and it was actually R1.

OP said runner did it before touching home. Would ruling hold if runner did it after scoring?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by MTR » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:10 pm

PDad wrote:
UmpSteve wrote:Unless you have a whole new meaning of R3, ................

Well, at least the "R" part. As you know, R3 was on first and it was actually R1.

OP said runner did it before touching home. Would ruling hold if runner did it after scoring?

Softball nomenclature applies the number to the R or B as they batted in that inning or for a certain play.

I.E R1 on 3rd, R2 on 1st, B4 at the plate with one out, or just R1 on 3rd, R2 on 1st and B3 at the plate
MTR

Return to The Umpire Corner