Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

Recommend Catcher's Mit

What's on your mind?

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:31 am

pafan wrote:Any advice on breaking these in quicker? My daughter has the CM275K and it seems like it's taking a long time to break it in. She's done the pitching machine balls into it, rubbed it with the Nokona vaseline, and hit the ball in. The pocket is forming okay, but she still says it hurts her hand to close it after awhile. Any suggestions? (She's 13.)


They say not to ... but I put them in the oven on warm ( I suppose you could leave them in a hot car, but I think that puts a glaze on the leather ) ... once their warm I oil them up with glove oil or preferably E.V.O.O. ... then the usual stuff, ball-rubber bands lots of catch and repeat next week ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by 3Bsnag » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:43 am

GIMNEPIWO wrote: They say not to ... but I put them in the oven on warm ( I suppose you could leave them in a hot car, but I think that puts a glaze on the leather ) ... once their warm I oil them up with glove oil or preferably E.V.O.O. ... then the usual stuff, ball-rubber bands lots of catch and repeat next week ...


A Ray or Lagasse fan?

It took DD's Nokona mitt a while (a few months) and we do the oven bake too. It still isn't where I want it to be, closing easily, but she isn't diligent about keeping a ball wrapped inside.
3Bsnag
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:39 pm

by GIMNEPIWO » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:53 am

3Bsnag wrote:
GIMNEPIWO wrote: They say not to ... but I put them in the oven on warm ( I suppose you could leave them in a hot car, but I think that puts a glaze on the leather ) ... once their warm I oil them up with glove oil or preferably E.V.O.O. ... then the usual stuff, ball-rubber bands lots of catch and repeat next week ...


A Ray or Lagasse fan?

It took DD's Nokona mitt a while (a few months) and we do the oven bake too. It still isn't where I want it to be, closing easily, but she isn't diligent about keeping a ball wrapped inside.


:lol: Try repeating and wrap it in a towel while it cools ... like you would fresh baked bread ... holds the humidity in ... I'm actually more of a fan of Anthony Bourdaine and the bald dude that eats the gross stuff ...sh*t, I forget his name ...

Edit: Andrew Zimmern
Last edited by GIMNEPIWO on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by Intel » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:13 pm

Do the new buffalo leather Nokonas break in any easier?
User avatar
Intel
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:23 pm
Location: Clovis, CA

by Lefty's Dad » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:14 pm

pafan wrote:Any advice on breaking these in quicker? My daughter has the CM275K and it seems like it's taking a long time to break it in. She's done the pitching machine balls into it, rubbed it with the Nokona vaseline, and hit the ball in. The pocket is forming okay, but she still says it hurts her hand to close it after awhile. Any suggestions? (She's 13.)

My DD had the same issue, same age. It litterally took a couple of months before it was game ready and that's catching pitching practice for an hour a week along with other stuff. We never put anything on it or cooked it.
My daughter is perfect, she knows everything. Just ask her.
User avatar
Lefty's Dad
 
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:31 am
Location: Missouri City, Tx

by frogs_mom_15 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:13 pm

DD really loves her Worth Liberty. Didn't take to long to break in and has lots of padding.
It's only a little skin, it'll grow back!

Image

Frog gettin' the sign
User avatar
frogs_mom_15
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:54 am

by jth1959 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:09 am

Mizuno GXS30 or GXS31...........trust me.
jth1959
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:56 pm

by GIMNEPIWO » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:12 am

jth1959 wrote:Mizuno GXS30 or GXS31...........trust me.

ABSOLUTELY !... I'm ordering 6 on-line right now :lol:
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
User avatar
GIMNEPIWO
 
Posts: 4339
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:58 am
Location: Between Rock & Hard Place

by jth1959 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:34 pm

When you do get those six Mizunos make sure you oil, bake and wrap all of them in towels as you recommend in your posts that way they will all be ready to go. :roll:
jth1959
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:56 pm

by Bruin Softball » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:28 am

My DD prefers the Nokona CM 275 Buffalo it's a litle bit pricier but it's soft & supple, Not as stiff as the walnut or kangaroo leather mitts. It broke in pretty quick for a catchers mitt. She loves this one, We also have the Walnut/Roo leather model that was pretty stiff new, So I let a buddy's DD use a season in order to break it in quicker, Great thing about Nokona is I was able to send it to them to be restuffed and re-laced for around $50 It is well broken in & she uses it as a back up mitt.
Bruin Softball
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:58 am

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions