by Blind Squirrel » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:24 pm
Not much time so I'll no doubt have typos and incohenence.
1. Apparently this coach has been the subject of a similar accusation in the past. If untrue, it seems rather likely that he considered the fact that he might do hard time for something he did not do. A feeling that would make anyone scared and sick. One would also assume they would take every precaution to ensure there would be no chance of me being in that situation again. This isn't just me. That is the common sense reaction of anyone with half a brain (actually even less). So what does this coach do? Has a child come to his home alone. Speaks for itself.
2. You don't have to be accused previously to know a 37 year old man does not allow an underage child into his home or hotel room. That is common sense.
3. Clergy from every religion have been convicted of sex with underage children. I'm sure the memebrs of each of those churches previously had complete trust in those convicted. The number of proven child molesters and middle age folks who try to have sex includes Dads and uncles. This has been well documented for years. Well, this ain't South Park, so take the Dads out it. You're not going to prevent a Dad from being alone with his own kid. But if my kid said "I'm going to your brothers house for awhile" the answer would be Nope. Hell, how many wife's were shocked when they found out their husbands had at some point molested their kid years earlier.
Here is the point. We are family at TNL and their implicit trust of their 37 year old coach as a defense for letting their kid go alone to his house is a joke and repulsive when judged by basic awareness and common sense. There isn't a 37 year old man on this planet that I would allow my kid to go hang out with alone. Paranoia? Have you been living in an isolated compound where there is no intrusion of the real world?
A 37 year old man interested in and allowing a child to come alone and hang out with him: Creepy and beyond stupidy.
A parent involved in this exchange: "Mom/Dad, I'm going to go to (any) 37 year old man's house and hang out." "Okay Honey, have fun.": Oblivious and beyond stupidity
Defending this whole situation by saying, among other things, "our organization is a family" like it is any different than the majority of other travel organizations, or say a religious group or say one's own actual family: Priceless
If this organization has any sense they would quickly create, publish and strictly, zero tolerance, no excuses a rule that if any adult associated with the org. is found to be alone with a child in any hotel room or residence, then the person will be expelled permanently from the organization. I they do so, I wonder if and how long this guy sticks around. If he is innocent he will surely stay and have absoluyely no problem with such a rule.
And lastly, this case IS OUR BUSINESS. We as parents want to know about the kind of people our kids might be coached by. At least those of us who think with brains and see with eyes that haven't been rendered Mr. Magoo-like by a friggin FP org.
John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.