College Softball

5 schools that should have softball but don't

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by eclipse09 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:46 pm

Schmick wrote:
PairOfAces wrote:
Schmick wrote:
PairOfAces wrote:Vanderbilt

Would you rank them over the other schools?

Why?

Does Tennessee develop enough players to have a second major college program in the state?

Compared to USC, Miami, UCI, how would you rank Vanderbilts ability to field a decent program right away?

I wouldn't necessarily rank them over the schools mentioned, but on a par. UCI doesn't generate that much interest in any sport so I don't think they would automatically be successful in softball, and I don't think USC's location is great for softball.

I think Vandy could recruit from all over the south and Midwest, not just in state, and I think they would take away a lot of recruits from the mid-majors in the region and probably snag a couple of 3, 4, and 5 star recruits from UT. It's a great school in a great city - one of the fastest growing areas of the country.

USCs location is in Southern California, how is that not a great location for softball?
Same with UCI, I'd bet that Orange County produces more D1 softball players every year than the entire state of Tennessee, probably more than Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi and Alabama combined. How is that not a great location for softball? Saying Southern California is not a good location for softball is like saying that Hawaii is not a good location for surfing

Yeah both UCI and USC are confusing. Each school has their focus and USC it is football or I mean was...... :lol:
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:45 pm

Schmick wrote:
PairOfAces wrote:
Schmick wrote:

Why?

Does Tennessee develop enough players to have a second major college program in the state?

Compared to USC, Miami, UCI, how would you rank Vanderbilts ability to field a decent program right away?

I wouldn't necessarily rank them over the schools mentioned, but on a par. UCI doesn't generate that much interest in any sport so I don't think they would automatically be successful in softball, and I don't think USC's location is great for softball.

I think Vandy could recruit from all over the south and Midwest, not just in state, and I think they would take away a lot of recruits from the mid-majors in the region and probably snag a couple of 3, 4, and 5 star recruits from UT. It's a great school in a great city - one of the fastest growing areas of the country.

USCs location is in Southern California, how is that not a great location for softball?
Same with UCI, I'd bet that Orange County produces more D1 softball players every year than the entire state of Tennessee, probably more than Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi and Alabama combined. How is that not a great location for softball? Saying Southern California is not a good location for softball is like saying that Hawaii is not a good location for surfing

Now see, your are making assumptions. Of course So Cal is the best for softball, no brainer IMO. But I am talking about specific areas OF So Cal for those two schools. Not necessarily geographically, but other factors too. And sure, OC probably produces more D1 players than a lot of states, but the rest of the country is catching up.

All I meant was just what I said - Vanderbilt is a great school without softball that should have softball.
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 pm

USCs mess with football is due to the school's president having to step down and them not having another one in place. No body there meant Swann couldn't get approval to fire Helton.
Rumor has it that USC is about to hire the President from Northwestern, who was a Dean at USC when Carroll had the football team rolling. Apparently that President knows the importance of athletics and would look to improve athletics there as well as expand the athletics department. So there is hope for an SC Softball program
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Schmick wrote:USCs mess with football is due to the school's president having to step down and them not having another one in place. No body there meant Swann couldn't get approval to fire Helton.
Rumor has it that USC is about to hire the President from Northwestern, who was a Dean at USC when Carroll had the football team rolling. Apparently that President knows the importance of athletics and would look to improve athletics there as well as expand the athletics department. So there is hope for an SC Softball program

Let's hope so!
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:14 pm

PairOfAces wrote:
Schmick wrote:
PairOfAces wrote:
Schmick wrote:

Why?

Now see, your are making assumptions. Of course So Cal is the best for softball, no brainer IMO. But I am talking about specific areas OF So Cal for those two schools. Not necessarily geographically, but other factors too. And sure, OC probably produces more D1 players than a lot of states, but the rest of the country is catching up.

All I meant was just what I said - Vanderbilt is a great school without softball that should have softball.

Vanderbilt is an OK school, I wouldn't say that They were great, or even good really.

Vanderbilt has won 4 NCAA National Championships, 1 by the men (baseball) and 3 by the women (bowling twice and tennis)

In contrast USC has won 107 NCAA National Championships 85 by the men and 22 by the women.

NCAA does not recognize National Championships in D1 Football where USC would have 11 more National Championships..

So if Vanderbilt and their 4 titles is a great school, what does that make USC and their 107?

Stanford has 118 National Championships
(Men 64, Women 53)
UCLA has 116 National Championships
(Men 76, Women 43)
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 3BB » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:13 pm

Vanderbilt is a great academic university. Having softball would give an opportunity for players to get a great education. They would have to compete in the SEC which would make starting up a program that much more challenging.

US News rankings:

Stanford #7
Vanderbilt #14
UCLA #19
USC #22

I’d consider them all great schools.
3BB
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 3BB » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:05 pm

And Vandy is a private school, they can pull girls from all over the country. They don't have compete with Tennessee for players. Look at the rosters of other highly ranked (academically) private schools in major D1 conferences like Notre Dame, Duke or Northwestern. 90% of their girls are from out of state.
3BB
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:41 pm

USC, Miami, Pepperdine and Rice are also all private Universities.
And are surrounded by more and better players in California, Florida and Texas than what you'll find in Tennessee.
The SEC has won 3 National Championships in softball so it would be a difficult conference (5 If you include aTm's titles won while the school was in the SWC)
The Pac 9 though has 24 National Championships so wouldn't it be more difficult? About 8 times as difficult?

If you're a 16 or 17 year old girl looking for a place to live for free the next 4 or 5 years while they play softball and the options are Nashville, Houston, Coral Gables, Los Angeles and Malibu..... Vanderbilt is likely the last one picked

Vandy is a decent school, I wouldn't rank them as a better prospect for a D1 softball program than Rice, Pepperdine, UCI, Miami or USC though.
They could make a case for #6. I'd put them against Colorado or Washington State for the #6-8 teams but being in Tennessee wouldn't put them in the top 5
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:26 am

Spazsdad wrote:Schmuck missed the whole point of that reply regarding Vandy being a great school

The whole purpose of message boards is debate.

This thread's purpose was to list the top 5 D1 Universities that should have softball programs but do not.

I listed my 5 and gave reasons as to why they're my 5.

I'll concede that Vanderbilt is a good academic institution, but so are the others .
I don't feel that Vanderbilt is as strong as the other schools when it comes to local recruiting base, weather, desirability for college athletes to live....but Vandy is a decent prospect to be among the top 5

Socrates said that when debates are lost, slander becomes a tool of the losers
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:29 am

While folks are talking about the old why doesn't USC have a softball team conversation...

How about a list of colleges with new softball programs?
Just sayin' softball is still growing!
Where's jonriv? He usually has some good info links to post!!

New'ish
.Edit-Ooops delete Liberty :)
.Snt. Katherines
.Duke
While at Long Beach State D-1
played against USC club team
(they were not so good)

--Google search--
Club sports programs are still around
and part of sports offered at colleges.

Intramural sports - open to all
Club sports - held tryouts
Collegiate Sports - tryouts, recruitment and
athletic money.

Perhaps Club interest at colleges would arouse Collegiate program for them.

*Long Beach State s.b. was club several years befor joining the NCAA.
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to College Softball