Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

What team is going to win the College World Series?

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by Battle » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:05 pm

PDad wrote:
Battle wrote:Are you saying the ones that left were coached up from another state?

Not really, Gasso is from CA. Clark is from AZ and played in CA (CSUF).

TX is represented well by a head coach from AZ and many players from CA.

No kidding? I didn't know that. :roll: :lol:

So let me get this straight. Clark learned how to really play in AZ under Candrea, moved to Cal where Cal prospered off her pitching but she didn't really find success as a coach until she moved out of CA to Florida and then more so on to Texas. It's similar to the success of Gasso and CA players on these 8 teams. :mrgreen:
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by jonriv » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:24 pm

just curious wrote:
jonriv wrote:Michigan playing rec ball throwing the ball around the field.

Have you seen a D3 game lately :lol:
I know, everyone will be working for them later :roll:

Have seen it at every level and always cringe at the second throw
jonriv

by Battle » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:25 pm

PDad wrote:it's hard finding elite ones they can get through admissions. :o Cal and Stanford have the same problem. :P

We have the same problem with you guys at Baylor and A&M. :P
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by jonriv » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:36 pm

just curious wrote:
jonriv wrote:Michigan playing rec ball throwing the ball around the field.

Have you seen a D3 game lately :lol:
I know, everyone will be working for them later :roll:
jonriv

by ontheblack » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Battle, we live in a world spent watching college softball games, and those games have to be played by women with skills. Who’s gonna do it? You? Californians have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for the Longhorns, and you curse the Bruins. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not seeing the caliber of play we see weekly. UT's loss, while tragic, is envitable. And our existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you (mostly because of our elected officials), produces softball players. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at practices, you want us on those fields, you need us on those fields. We use words like defense, offense, winning. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent pursuing scholarships. You use them as a punchline. We have neither the time nor the inclination to explain ourselves to a man who rises and watches these girls play elite ball as a result of the travel teams we fund, then question the very number of players that we provide, and the schools which these girls choose to attend. We would rather you just said thank you, and went back to your TV. Otherwise, we suggest you pick up a clipboard and coach a team. Either way, we don’t give a damn what you think about which teams are still playing.

with apologies to Jack Nicholson
ontheblack

by jonriv » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:44 pm

PDad wrote:
jonriv wrote:Both hrs by Texas player (today and previous)should have been caught. Florida lf did not track balls to the wall (the hr and the long single). The fl cf was excellent in comparison

:roll: Could have been caught - obviously. You sound like the simpletons that say any ball off leather is an error. At least yesterday's didn't bounce off her head a la Canseco. It's ludicrous to say they're poor because today's would have been a web gem if she pulled it back in. The long single off the top of the wall would have been a HR except the wind kept it in. These were not routine plays. It's not unusual to see MLB players struggle catching balls near the wall/fence.

I agree Florida's CF is excellent. Should she have made the diving catch that was apparently ruled a trap last night?

On the replay I thought it was a catch(so did the hitter). Regarding the left fielder, she gave up on the long single and was back pedaling and drifting. She should have been at the wall and would have been in a better position to make a play. I don't think just because it touches a glove it's an error. I also think that there are plays that even though are not errors, should have been made
jonriv

by PDad » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:45 pm

Battle wrote:So let me get this straight. Clark learned how to really play in AZ under Candrea, moved to Cal where Cal prospered off her pitching but she didn't really find success as a coach until she moved out of CA to Florida and then more so on to Texas. It's similar to the success of Gasso and CA players on these 8 teams. :mrgreen:

You're close. They're like matter that expands to fill voids. They're like the pioneers that migrated for better opportunity.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:09 pm

ontheblack wrote:Battle, we live in a world spent watching college softball games, and those games have to be played by women with skills. Who’s gonna do it? You? Californians have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for the Longhorns, and you curse the Bruins. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not seeing the caliber of play we see weekly. UT's loss, while tragic, is envitable. And our existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you (mostly because of our elected officials), produces softball players. You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at practices, you want us on those fields, you need us on those fields. We use words like defense, offense, winning. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent pursuing scholarships. You use them as a punchline. We have neither the time nor the inclination to explain ourselves to a man who rises and watches these girls play elite ball as a result of the travel teams we fund, then question the very number of players that we provide, and the schools which these girls choose to attend. We would rather you just said thank you, and went back to your TV. Otherwise, we suggest you pick up a clipboard and coach a team. Either way, we don’t give a damn what you think about which teams are still playing.

with apologies to Jack Nicholson

Sorrrreeee! Just talking a little smack with PDad. :oops:
Battle

by PDad » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:12 pm

jonriv wrote:
PDad wrote:
jonriv wrote:Both hrs by Texas player (today and previous)should have been caught. Florida lf did not track balls to the wall (the hr and the long single). The fl cf was excellent in comparison

:roll: Could have been caught - obviously. You sound like the simpletons that say any ball off leather is an error. At least yesterday's didn't bounce off her head a la Canseco. It's ludicrous to say they're poor because today's would have been a web gem if she pulled it back in. The long single off the top of the wall would have been a HR except the wind kept it in. These were not routine plays. It's not unusual to see MLB players struggle catching balls near the wall/fence.

I agree Florida's CF is excellent. Should she have made the diving catch that was apparently ruled a trap last night?

On the replay I thought it was a catch(so did the hitter). The replay was inconclusive - while the ball didn't leave her glove, the replay from OF showed the ball may have been kept in by contact with the ground as the glove rolled over (i.e. trap).

Regarding the left fielder, she gave up on the long single and was back pedaling and drifting. She should have been at the wall and would have been in a better position to make a play.
Easy for you to say after the fact with replays - not so easy when the ball is hit high in the air at you with an overhead sun and the wind blowing in. She definitely didn't have a good read on it and that happens to MLB players too.

I don't think just because it touches a glove it's an error. I also think that there are plays that even though are not errors, should have been made

I agree some misplays don't get recorded as an error. I just don't agree with you passing judgement on these as poor play.
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Battle » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
Battle wrote:
PDad wrote:it's hard finding elite ones they can get through admissions. :o Cal and Stanford have the same problem. :P

We have the same problem with you guys at Baylor and A&M. :P

Both comments are ridiculous. Athletes at any of those schools get in with standards that would make other applicants head spin.

I know it but he started it! :lol:
Battle

PreviousNext

Return to College Softball