Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

College Softball

Adjusting to the Weather

Everything you want to know about the greatest game

by jonriv » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Battle wrote:
jonriv wrote:We called MREs either Meals Refused By Everyone or Meals Refused by Ethiopians - we used to joke it was against the geneva Convention to feed to prisoners of war.(I do understand they are better now)

LOL...actually some of them are pretty good but I liked the C-rations better, although I could never imagine them without a steel pot to heat them in.

I came in during the steel pot to kevlar conversion- tough to shave without a steelpot full of hot water from the imersion heater!!!

We used to joke the pork patty MRE said "This Way Towards Enemy" just like a Claymore Mine
jonriv

by Battle » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:43 pm

jonriv wrote:
Battle wrote:
jonriv wrote:We called MREs either Meals Refused By Everyone or Meals Refused by Ethiopians - we used to joke it was against the geneva Convention to feed to prisoners of war.(I do understand they are better now)

LOL...actually some of them are pretty good but I liked the C-rations better, although I could never imagine them without a steel pot to heat them in.

I came in during the steel pot to kevlar conversion- tough to shave without a steelpot full of hot water from the imersion heater!!!

We used to joke the pork patty MRE said "This Way Towards Enemy" just like a Claymore Mine

Ah, then you would also remember Harmony Church to "Sand Hilton". :o :lol: ...Steel pots were like your right hand back then.
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by jonriv » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:10 pm

Did my Basic at Ft Knox, KY and my ROTC advanced at Ft Bragg

but I know Harmony Church from the stints at Benning for Airborne School and my IOBC(Infantry Officer basic) Iron Mike is my idle....
jonriv

by Battle » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:58 pm

jonriv wrote:Did my Basic at Ft Knox, KY and my ROTC advanced at Ft Bragg

but I know Harmony Church from the stints at Benning for Airborne School and my IOBC(Infantry Officer basic) Iron Mike is my idle....

Well Iron Mike is a great idle to have! Did you stay in the old barracks or did you have housing?
FYI "Sand Hilton" is what some old grunts used to refer to as Sand Hill in Ft. Benning. You can imagine..LOL
We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way!
Battle

by jonriv » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:14 pm

BOQs Spanish Mission Style buildings near the school of the Americas and O club for IOBC- Airborne School barracks for Airborne School)cadets were with the regular population then)

Had wood barracks in Bragg and also for a sting in FT Drum(with pot belly coal stoves)

BTW- FT Knox is where they filmed stripes- as we went through the same obstacle course they played the music from Stripes
jonriv

by Battle » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:50 pm

jonriv wrote:BOQs Spanish Mission Style buildings near the school of the Americas and O club for IOBC- Airborne School barracks for Airborne School)cadets were with the regular population then)

Had wood barracks in Bragg and also for a sting in FT Drum(with pot belly coal stoves)

BTW- FT Knox is where they filmed stripes- as we went through the same obstacle course they played the music from Stripes

Cool.
Ah the ole pot belly. Gotta love it. Well I've hijacked your thread enough although spotted dick is a hijackin' in itself... :lol:
Battle

by jonriv » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:04 pm

Fall is beautiful in New England, but the cold Spring games in the 30's and 40" will be tough adjustment for Golden Staters
jonriv

by bigdog mom » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:52 pm

DFW area to Southeastern LA, big adjustment to the humidity and rain, but the kicker came when she had only been there a couple of weeks when the order to evacuate for hurricane Issac came. We get a phone call that asking "what do I pack to evacuate?" We see about a 2 day delay in general weather patterns from home to her at school (cold fronts etc)
bigdog mom

Previous

Return to College Softball