Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

Question- why not close the Qualifiers to state / regional

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by OCwildcatMom » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:35 am

Just curious.

Why not add more qualifiers for each state / region based on their size & not allow other state / regions to participate in out of state / regions? This way you can still 1 up ASA in the qualifying process & get more teams from each State / Region to come to the National Tournament.

Why not have 3 or 4 qualifiers in CA to allow the So Cal teams to fight it out and still have opportunity to get the berth without spending all their money traveling across country. I think PGF would still get the same amount of So Cal Teams & the same quality of Teams at the National Tournament.

They also would get more of a showing from other regions.

IE: AZ qualifier this past weekend 2 AZ teams got berths 1 = 18 & 1-16 So Cal took 5 berths

In Texas I think out of 16 berths 4 went to TX teams in the 18u Div. & in the 16U & 14U no Texas teams qualified.

Wouldn't you want more teams form other Regions to come to Nationals?
OCwildcatMom

by Trophy Hunter » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:15 am

It's a softball tradition that SoCal teams that can't qualify in SoCal go to other states to get their berths. PGF is more interested in having the best teams than they are having teams from across the country, so it's not likely they will go against tradition. Besides, if you can't qualify on your home turf, how will compete on the other team's home turf?
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by CULater » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:30 am

I believe only 1 Texas team entered in the 14U PGF qualifier, the rest were in San Antonio trying to qualifying for ASA in Sioux Falls SD. In the 16's, a majority of the top teams were playing in The Woodlands trying to qualify for ASA.

And aside from Texas Storm-Wymer and Aces Express-McCorkle, the rest of the 18HS field was watered down. Impact Gold, Magic, Eclipse, and Sudden Impact were all playing in a round robin, with no intent on going to Premier.
CULater

by rukidding » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:46 am

Yes and why offer more berths in the less attended Texas Qualifer than the Arizona qualifier where you had more participation.

Example in 14u in Texas there were 4 berths for 8 teams and in Arizona 2 berths for 19 teams. In 16u 3 berts in Az for 23 teams and in Texas 4 berths for 13 teams, Doesnt really make much sense to me.

Shouldnt you tie the number of berths available to the number of teams participating? Why slight the Arizona qualifier when they obviously are supporting PGF more than Texas. The 12u Az PGF qualifier had a good number of teams and the one in Texas was canceled all together.
rukidding

by jonriv » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:56 am

rukidding wrote:Yes and why offer more berths in the less attended Texas Qualifer than the Arizona qualifier where you had more participation.

Example in 14u in Texas there were 4 berths for 8 teams and in Arizona 2 berths for 19 teams. In 16u 3 berts in Az for 23 teams and in Texas 4 berths for 13 teams, Doesnt really make much sense to me.

Shouldnt you tie the number of berths available to the number of teams participating? Why slight the Arizona qualifier when they obviously are supporting PGF more than Texas. The 12u Az PGF qualifier had a good number of teams and the one in Texas was canceled all together.

Sounds logical- reward the tourney that draws more
jonriv

by CULater » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:08 am

I think the questions that PGF needs to ask itself to start with are

Why aren't the qualifiers in Texas as well attended as they could be?

Why does an organization, that isn't even attending the PGF national, after being given an invitation for their finish at ASA Gold, allowed to host the qualifier?

Logistics can't be an issue, I mean its Houston and Dallas, plenty of flights, plenty of hotels. Weather in early June is in the upper 80's. The Dallas qualifier is a little warmer, but it should be attended by teams that are used to the heat. They will be playing somewhere.

Did the TD do everything in his power to promote PGF?
CULater

by Trophy Hunter » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:15 am

jonriv wrote:
rukidding wrote:Yes and why offer more berths in the less attended Texas Qualifer than the Arizona qualifier where you had more participation.

Sounds logical- reward the tourney that draws more

So if you give Texas 2 berths with say 12 teams registered, you would then give SoCal 16 berths with 96 teams registered? Imagine all the screaming and howling, even though the ratio is proportional.
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by jonriv » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:18 am

It's better than having Socal teams travel across the country so they can go to a nationals in their own backyard-right?

I like the idea of limiting state/regionals to that particular state/region- but if you do then you need to give the top SOCAL teams other ways of qualifying so that top teams are represented
jonriv

by Trophy Hunter » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:27 am

But then the total # of berths to nationals would fluctuate as determined based on registration. Either that or the total berths would remain constant, but the # awarded at each qualifier would be in a constant state of flux.
Trophy Hunter

by CULater » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:35 am

jonriv wrote:It's better than having Socal teams travel across the country so they can go to a nationals in their own backyard-right?

I like the idea of limiting state/regionals to that particular state/region- but if you do then you need to give the top SOCAL teams other ways of qualifying so that top teams are represented

From a logistics point Jon, for a SoCal team it is cheaper to fly to Houston for a 3-day qualifier, than it is to qualify at home for ASA, then spend 7 days in OKC, Montgomery, or Sioux Falls.
CULater

Next

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch