Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Premier Girls Fastpitch

PGF 18U Divisions - Premier and Platinum

Questions and discussions involving PGF

by MavFan » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:38 am

I guess I still don't see where the national demand is to expand. I don't think any of the HS qualifiers outside of California and Houston had more than 36 teams. In the Houston qualifier, the 4th, 5th 6th and 7th place teams went to the National, the top 3 chose to go elsewhere be it ASA or TCS-NY. If I recall there were others where the berths trickled down to teams that didn't qualify originally. It wasn't because they didn't think they could compete. Simple math tells you that half the teams are going to play 3 bracket games or less, and roughly 16 teams will play more than 4, most teams don't compete for the national championship.

It is simple and it is stated all over the boards by other posters, this is about California teams not wanting to travel to other parts of the country. 30 of the 67 teams at last years 18HS event were from California. If that is the elite of the elite then great, but most teams don't need to go to travel to California to play against 2nd tier competition they can do that at home or closer to home.

As far as recruiting goes, please explain the benefit of adding more teams for coaches to go watch. You already have at least 2000 kids spread out between16 and 18, now you want to double the number of teams at 18? that is an additional 1000 or more kids that are wanting to be seen. One of the recruiting benefits of PGF was the college coaches could see how their recruit would do against the best, you lose that benefit by adding a second division. Those coaches can see that at Colorado or any number of other events throughout the fall and spring.
MavFan

by PDad » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:16 pm

What effect will splitting PGF Nationals across 2 weeks have on where the college coaches go?
- Week 1: PGF 14/16s vs. ASA 18G?
- Week 2: PGF 18s vs. ASA 14/16/18A?
PDad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by CheckWriter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:46 pm

it sounds a lot like the Colorado Tourneys in July. Between the Independence, Sparkler, Jr. Sparkler, and Fireworks I can't imagine how many teams are in the Denver area.

I think your hammer may have found a nail.

Having been with teams that played in both Fireworks and Independence, the Independence is the best tourney there is, I think. Yes, was at Gold Nationals in OK City BP (Before Premier). Two years at Premier. The numerous pool play games give the college coaches ample chance to watch their prospects play on a predictable (weather notwithstanding) schedule. There are enough games in the pool play to meaningfully seed the tournament and then you have the single elimination tourney for a winner.

Funny, I don't hear much "good old boy" grumbling about this tourney. They also have a "play in" tourney every year. If you do well in the mini-tourney, you can qualify for "the show" for the following year, but for the majority, the invites are based on the established organizations.

It seems that the mostly invite foundation with a play-in tournament, if that is what PRemier is heading toward, is more like Boulder than anything else.
I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on the frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words.
--- Hesiod, Eighth Century B.C.
CheckWriter
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ontheblack » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:43 pm

CheckWriter wrote:
it sounds a lot like the Colorado Tourneys in July. Between the Independence, Sparkler, Jr. Sparkler, and Fireworks I can't imagine how many teams are in the Denver area.

I think your hammer may have found a nail.

Having been with teams that played in both Fireworks and Independence, the Independence is the best tourney there is, I think. Yes, was at Gold Nationals in OK City BP (Before Premier). Two years at Premier. The numerous pool play games give the college coaches ample chance to watch their prospects play on a predictable (weather notwithstanding) schedule. There are enough games in the pool play to meaningfully seed the tournament and then you have the single elimination tourney for a winner.

Funny, I don't hear much "good old boy" grumbling about this tourney. They also have a "play in" tourney every year. If you do well in the mini-tourney, you can qualify for "the show" for the following year, but for the majority, the invites are based on the established organizations.

It seems that the mostly invite foundation with a play-in tournament, if that is what PRemier is heading toward, is more like Boulder than anything else.

maybe the upper 18 division will be invite only.
ontheblack

by exD1dad » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:51 pm

All though I didn't watch any 18 or 14 teams @ PGF this year (DD was playing on a 16 team & different coaches were all over at every game & every field) friends @ 14 said college coaches were everywhere too, & 2 others told me they hadn't seen any up at 18 games so I don't think it's about recruiting. IMHO

Splitting the Divisions will definately have plenty of teams & whether that's considered watered down who cares, it still gives the girls another chance to compete. I'm sure the PGF "powers that be" will come to a solution that makes some happy, pisses others off & isn't a factor for other teams. I've always had the more is better atitude especially when a players career is limited & not a lifetime sport like golf
"It's not giving up if you discover you've been chasing the wrong destiny" -Morley LA street artist who posted this on Melrose Avenue in Jan '14
exD1dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jmo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:29 pm

MavFan wrote:One of the recruiting benefits of PGF was the college coaches could see how their recruit would do against the best, you lose that benefit by adding a second division.

College coaches will still be able to see how their recruit is doing against the best in the Premier division. How do they lose that benefit?? Coaches will still be able to see their recruits play against the best as well as see another 64 teams in the 18U Platinum division.
"It is better to have loved and lost than to live with a Psycho the rest of your life."
jmo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by freetacos » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:43 pm

I don't see any downside for anyone. I guess the questions is...who decides what division a team should play in?

ft
freetacos

by Trophy Hunter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:36 pm

freetacos wrote:I don't see any downside for anyone. I guess the questions is...who decides what division a team should play in?

ft

I will! :mrgreen:
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

by thecloser02 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:23 am

All the trash Trophy Hunter has talked about PGF and Surf City if they ever find out what team he coaches or his daughter plays on he will be playing on the fields in Yuma during a Surf City showcase :lol:
thecloser02

by Trophy Hunter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:43 pm

You can call it trash talking, I like to think of it as constructive criticism. :D

Por ejemplo, I was critical of them holding the PGF qualifier in SoCal the same date as ASA, because it meant all the teams that didn't qualify for PGF had nowhere to play any nationals. Now with adding another division, they have gone a long way toward alleviating that issue.

Not only that, by addressing the issue they can continue to say they are responsive to the softball community, which is true and always has been. This is yet another example of how PGF is making the game better, which is all I want and all they want (well they want money too, but they work for it, so hey)

You could say that everyone who plays in the second division this year has me, and others who offer suggestions, to thank for the opportunity. ;)
Ladies, if a man tells you he will fix it, he will fix it. There is no reason to remind him about it every six months.
Trophy Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Premier Girls Fastpitch